S

splatnik

Enthusiast
Is DVI a better connection than component for digital video signals?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Component is analog. Could you be more specific? What are you trying to do?

S

splatnik

Enthusiast
I'm connecting digital cable and DVD to my HD tele. I have been using my receiver as a switch and it has only component video i/o, no DVI or HDMI. The TV has 2 DVI inputs, so am I correct in assuming I should go direct from the cable box and DVD to the TV?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
For the cable box, it may not make a big difference (I've seen this in 2 cases); both looked about the same, especially for standard broadcast channels.

If the DVD is an upscaling player, it may only upscale via DVI/HDMI, so that is something to consider. If it isn't an upscaling player, if you have both a DVI and component cables, I'd try both and see if there is a significant difference and if not, then use whichever one works better for you.

J

JonBaker99

Audioholic
If this is a Motorola cable box I would recommend going component. The couple of times I've hooked them up with DVI the picture quality has been worse than component. This is an exception to the rule though. In general DVI should perform better for HD.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I hooked up a Comcast HD box for a family member and we found that HDMI looked worse than component on it as well, so when I setup my Dad's system, I used component by default. Someone on this forum may be in your area and has a box like yours and hopefully they can help.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
The digital HD cable box is Sci. Atlanta.
Another consideration is if you ever watch the TV without your audio system being turned on, or want to watch it, like the news or a boring show or kids shows. If so, then you want a standard connection, to the TV, or another direct set to the TV.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis