F

Fowl

Audioholic
Hi Guys,

I have a quick question, I have two DVD players, I use one for movies and the other for playing my cd's. Is ther any audible difference in using a DVD player verses an dedicated CD player?

Let me know.

Fowl

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I got rid of my standalone CD player a long time ago. I actually use my Xbox to play audio CD's now - I like using my controller to change the songs. :) Plus you can make the screen do cool stuff like in Media Player, and it still has all the functionality of regular unit.

Polygon

Polygon

Audioholic
Nah. There could be a difference if you were dealing with a poor quality DAC, but with a DVD you don't have to worry about that if you're using digital coax or tosslink.

If you were using analog then there might.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Nah. There could be a difference if you were dealing with a poor quality DAC, but with a DVD you don't have to worry about that if you're using digital coax or tosslink.

If you were using analog then there might.
I was going to say something to that effect, but you would have to have a fairly significant difference in quality of players for there to be a big difference. I actually took my CD player out of my system completely and use my Denon for audio playback.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
... I have two DVD players, I use one for movies and the other for playing my cd's. Is ther any audible difference in using a DVD player verses an dedicated CD player?
Let me know.
Fowl
Why do you even have two DVD players unless they are in separate setups?

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Why do you even have two DVD players unless they are in separate setups?
I have three. One also plays BD, another one also plays HD-DVD and the third one also plays SACD and DVD-A. I sure can't see anthing wrong with having two.

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
I got rid of my standalone CD player a long time ago. I actually use my Xbox to play audio CD's now - I like using my controller to change the songs. :) Plus you can make the screen do cool stuff like in Media Player, and it still has all the functionality of regular unit.
I use my X-Box also for CDs and it drives me nuts. There is always a blank pause between tracks, even when the songs are supposed to be continuous. :mad:

S

slothy420

Enthusiast
I have been considering buying an older, Cambridge Audio CD player; I have an inexpensive Yamaha 5-disc CD changer (good for parties) and a newer Samsung DVD player with 1080 upscaling & digital out. Should I not worry about buying the Cambridge player and continue to use the DVD player for CD's?

Thanks!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I have three. One also plays BD, another one also plays HD-DVD and the third one also plays SACD and DVD-A. I sure can't see anthing wrong with having two.
OK, so you have a BD player and an HD player:D
And a DVD player with SACD and DVD-a :D
I bet you also have 3 CD players then, right?;)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know about using the 360 for CD playback, but the original xbox had horrible CD playback IMO.

Fowl, what are the make and model of the two players?

P

ParkerAudio

Full Audioholic
I have a similar concern. We are all downgrading, if you will, our high end CD players for lower brand name fair that we previously avoided. I used to think that if it could play DVD's/Cd's it was the same across the board. However, I had a Yamaha CD player that was built in the late 90's, and I thought that was the pinnacle of CD play quality until I bought a Denon 3800 DVD player. A lot of difference in the separation of notes, and the clarity. I don't know if it was because of the Brown Burr chip, or what in particular, but there was a difference.
I guess what I am saying here, is that there is probably still going to be a difference in CD sound quality between a PS3 and a high end Denon, Cambridge, (insert your high end name brand here.) I am holding out for a Denon 3800BD for a nice all round player.
If you could test out the Cambridge, it might be better.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That is why I still have my 2900: for CD, SACD and DVD-A. I don't use it to view movies in general anymore though.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis