avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Doubtful, if that ruling holds up it will also give us the right to rip out Bluray and HD-DVDs so in reality it does not change much. The biggest difference is the price for the hardware, both blank discs and burners.

Currently, DVDs are far more accessible than both high-def formats and until their prices go down and consumers are less confused by which one will win the format DVDs will reign supreme.

nav

nav

Audioholic
Unfortunately, that's not what that case was ruling on. Kaleidescape licensed the rights to legally de-scramble DVD-Video content. The license holders claimed that the license that was agreed upon contained language that forbade Kaleidescape from ripping and playing back DVDs without the disc being present. The court disagreed.

As mentioned in that article:
Because of this ruling, the Judge did not have to get into copyright issues, so the Kaleidescape ruling has no copyright implications. It is not a statement on the legality of ripping DVDs.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, this ruling was for one company in one particular case and has nothing to do with the Digital Millenium Copyright Act which forbids the cracking of encryption on copyrighted discs such as DVDs. Kaleidescape never 'cracked' the encryption, they legally had keys to use, and played by all the rules... then got sued anyway.

Anyone want to go to Blockbuster with me and 'rent' some movies?

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Looks like we know have the right to rip our dvds:

http://www.cepro.com/news/editorial/18137.html

I think thats the final nail needed to really kill discs.

Anthony
Only using the Kaleidsescape program.

They have a contract with the makers of CSS to decrypt DVDs.

You, however, do not. Even if this ruling held up, it wouldn't give you the right to do anything. Unless you already have a contract with DVD CCA to legally decrypt CSS.

G

g_hause

Enthusiast
I saw a Kaleidescape system today and I was boggled, it was amazing. Then I heard the price and accidentaly laughed at the sales guy. You can get a terabyte hard drive for $400. There has to be a better way.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis