Duplication of decoders & upscaling in Components

A

audioflyer

Enthusiast
Is there any benefit in purchasing a dvd player with a Dolby Digital and DTS decoder when your reciever can decode such signal, provided the DVD player supports the signal formats? Specifically, I want to buy a Denon DVD player and choosing between the $499 2845 and the $269 1845 models one of the big differences are the internal decoders which I figure I don't necessarily need since I have a Denon 2308 reciever with such decoders. So I can opt for the 1845 over the 2845, which is nearly half the price. I know it doesn't have SACD DVD-Audio decoders but I don't have any of those CDs\DVDs but I think I don't need those. Anything else I might ought to be considering? The universal scaling is another one of those features I will forgo in the DVD player, but again I think my Denon 2308 receiver comes with those processing capabilities so I don't need to pay for that feature in both componets, or am I missing something in my logic?

Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:
F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Well it would just be a question of which unit has the better digital stage. I don't know but I have a tendency to think what you have in the receiver is fine. Personally, I haven't noticed any meaningful differences in DAC's. Before you spend your money, look at the Oppo 980. Not only will it do everything the Denon will do just as well but it will do SACD and DVD-A and costs only about $170.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis