T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
Any consideration to using plywood over MDF to help keep the weight down? You're going to have ~170 lbs in drivers alone in the box. I think if I was going the fewer/high quality driver route (in this case with 2 drivers), I'd go with single drivers and make two boxes. With the current plan of action, you'd still have the same room mode issues as you would any single sub, but you have the additional problem of having an extremely high bar to clear with the performance requirements for a second sub so you aren't holding back the DuOp Ultras. Of course, if you match it with an identical sub, that's not an issue... ;) :D

What are you looking to power those with? One of those LG clone amps perhaps?

At any rate, good luck w/your project. :)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm going to be using baltic birch plywood, quite probably CNC cut so I think I'll be good there. I actually already have two subs, one of which is going to be moving to the computer setup. The other one is a single driver 18" DIY sub I built. I'm not worried about the performance difference because this will definitely not be my last DIY sub. :D

I've been thinking about the LG clone amps, but that's a lot of money to pin on so many unknowns. Plus, if it breaks (which is more likely than I'm comfortable with) I'm just out that money. Then there's the whole could possibly burn down my house as it fails, which is also worrisome. I may just go with a crown XTI 6002 bridged, but I may break down and roll the dice on an LG clone. Lots of stuff to do before I decided ;) :D

Any consideration to using plywood over MDF to help keep the weight down? You're going to have ~170 lbs in drivers alone in the box. I think if I was going the fewer/high quality driver route (in this case with 2 drivers), I'd go with single drivers and make two boxes. With the current plan of action, you'd still have the same room mode issues as you would any single sub, but you have the additional problem of having an extremely high bar to clear with the performance requirements for a second sub so you aren't holding back the DuOp Ultras. Of course, if you match it with an identical sub, that's not an issue... ;) :D

What are you looking to power those with? One of those LG clone amps perhaps?

At any rate, good luck w/your project. :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm going to be using baltic birch plywood, quite probably CNC cut so I think I'll be good there. I actually already have two subs, one of which is going to be moving to the computer setup. The other one is a single driver 18" DIY sub I built. I'm not worried about the performance difference because this will definitely not be my last DIY sub. :D

I've been thinking about the LG clone amps, but that's a lot of money to pin on so many unknowns. Plus, if it breaks (which is more likely than I'm comfortable with) I'm just out that money. Then there's the whole could possibly burn down my house as it fails, which is also worrisome. I may just go with a crown XTI 6002 bridged, but I may break down and roll the dice on an LG clone. Lots of stuff to do before I decided ;) :D
I would go with the Crown. I would not bridge it, but connect a channel to each driver. You will have optimal power then.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Funny, I had it in black and then switched it to birch for a better shot even before I saw the mention of that.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sent you a shot of it with the bracing installed, as I understood it :)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Courtesy of j_garcia, thanks again for the generous offer and time.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
:D Wasn't sure if you wanted to post the design up or not. Here's one a little more enhanced. CAD, my real job :p

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
:D Wasn't sure if you wanted to post the design up or not. Here's one a little more enhanced. CAD, my real job :p

Ah the joys of owning a CNC. I really want to do a design with the new stereo integrity subs it's nice to know we have cad capable members.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Ah the joys of owning a CNC. I really want to do a design with the new stereo integrity subs it's nice to know we have cad capable members.
Those look like pretty sweet subs. Maybe a dual opposed :p :D

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Two 5400s are really going to fit in that cabinet with that bracing? The 5400 looks too deep.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Two 5400s are really going to fit in that cabinet with that bracing? The 5400 looks too deep.
Well, with no dimensions anywhere it can be difficult to visualize. That hole in the bracing is actually big enough to fit the motor.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I take it you're going to get one of those hand trucks with a strap they use to move appliances, to move that sub around? I figure... about 300lbs by the time it's complete. :)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I take it you're going to get one of those hand trucks with a strap they use to move appliances, to move that sub around? I figure... about 300lbs by the time it's complete. :)
That seems about right. A fork lift would probably be more apt :)

annunaki

annunaki

Find Warpdrv here or at hometheatershack. He has 4 of these crazy concoctions in his home he has more first hand knowledge with TC drivers than many I have seen on the forums.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Find Warpdrv here or at hometheatershack. He has 4 of these crazy concoctions in his home he has more first hand knowledge with TC drivers than many I have seen on the forums.
Actually I already have :D

His build thread over on AVS was the inspiration for all of these shenanigans. I actually contacted John at AE about the build and he came back with a quote of about $600 per box, ready to finish. Those boxes were a little big for my space, plus TLS Guy recommended a smaller box anyways so I wanted to modify the design, but John seems a bit busy so I went elsewhere.

Thanks though. Warp definitely helped when I was starting to plan this out.

Matt34

Matt34

I would go with more than a double baffle if you're going to want them to sit flush. My enclosure uses four boards on the face the driver sits on.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I would go with more than a double baffle if you're going to want them to sit flush. My enclosure uses four boards on the face the driver sits on.
I was actually thinking about that. I may leave it as a single "flush" mount board, but double up on the mounting boards for a total of 3 boards on each baffle.

Good call.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Three, actually, and I get to hear them whenever I want to. Sometimes I think I can hear them from my house, which is a few miles away. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis