Dual Dayton Audio SUB-1500 15" Subwoofer Review

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
SUB1500 pair6.jpg
Audioholics recently reviewed a spate of $500 subwoofers (see our round-up here: The Best $500 Powered Subwoofers for 2023), and in the conclusion, we listed some potential alternatives to the featured subs of that article. The only alternative we listed there that we hadn’t reviewed was a pair of Dayton Audio SUB-1500s. Dayton Audio is a manufacturer of a wide variety of audio products from individual loudspeaker and electrical components to turnkey electronics and finished loudspeakers for every type of audio application. Based on the specs as well as our experience with past Dayton Audio products, we guessed that a pair of these budget subs would be a formidable option for those who are shopping in the $500 price range. Today, we set out to see for ourselves whether that guess was a good one in our review of a pair of Dayton Audio SUB-1500s. How do these stack up against the $500 subs that we have already taken an in-depth look at? How does one SUB-1500 perform, and how does that stack up into a set of duals? Are there qualitative shortcomings of a single budget sub that will hold a set of duals back from achieving the performance of a more expensive unit? Read our full review to find out…

READ: Dual Dayton Audio SUB-1500 Review

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Interesting read. I considered a pair of these subs in 2019 when they were priced at $199.99 each. But, el cheapo here went for a pair of the SUB-1200s at $149.99 each. After playing with them for a bit, I didn’t feel the need to upgrade and, a few years later, still do not feel the need to do so.

Do they dig really deep? No, but they don’t lose their composure when trying to do so. They just do what they can with punchy aplomb. I have my pair up front inside each of the front speakers and the subs are eight feet apart.

The comments about electronic music in the review of the 1500 apply to the 1200 as well. I finally got around to purchasing the blu-ray discs of the Booka Shade “Deer Future Self” album and the Yello “Point” album. Both are presented in lossless Atmos/TrueHD and are a really good time. They should be required listening when reviewing any sub.

I use the Dayton Audio subs with other Dayton Audio speakers. I ended up crossing them at 120Hz a while ago and found the point of crossing at 100Hz or 120Hz for more punch when used in combination with lesser speakers in the review interesting as that is what I’ve experienced with the SUB-1200 pair.

There are much more expensive subs with better perfornance out there for sure. But, one could actually do worse than the Dayton subs for even more money and many do. If on a tight budget, the Dayton Audio subs are a great place to start and some like myself may not feel the need to upgrade unless their budget for new subs increases significantly. These aren’t high powered, high priced beasts. But, what they do with little power at little cost is quite something.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks @shadyJ !

Seeing the measurements here reminds of the review BB did promoting the Sub-1200. His argument was based on the performance differences between the two being so minimal that you didn’t really gain much with the larger sub.

Either way, clearly an outstanding option for those not wanting to spend a lot or needing much low frequency extension.

Hmmm… I wonder what four could do with collocated pairs, corner loaded with a little DSP assist. ;)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Great review @shadyJ!!!!!!! I know you mentioned you are doing a review of the Monoprice SW-15. Which legit looks like a clone of this one. I bought 2 of those for $209 each it was less than $500 shipped for duals

I'm looking forward to that review. But I bet I see the same results. Tons of mid-bass with a in room extension of 30hz but nothing lower which is more then enough for my bedroom.

I feel like the Daytons and Monoprice versions are the cheap Polk and Klipsch killers and all the other so called budget models that bigger companies spit out.

Like you mentioned within their limits these produce results better then some subs costing much more. Finally got the bedroom redone with my final speaker setup. So I'm getting ready to finally start cranking those later today man I can't wait!!!!!!!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I know you mentioned you are doing a review of the Monoprice SW-15. Which legit looks like a clone of this one.
The SW15 has some similar specs to the SUB-1500 but is definitely not a clone.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The SW15 has some similar specs to the SUB-1500 but is definitely not a clone.
Dooouh!!!! Dangit Shady there you go again teasing with info like that!

You know I'm going to be on the edge of my seat waiting for this review now. You know that right? You damn dirty tease :D ;)

I just got home and I'm actually heading upstairs to play with them. Got the room and the new speakers all set up and finally nothing to do this afternoon!

An afternoon with no one in the house an Audioholics dream come true! :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Texas: Where the men are men and Ported Subwoofers are afraid!

:oops: :eek: o_O

:p
Well they must have been keeping an eye on this thread because Monoprice put this one on the bottom. So it should be safe.

At least .....

That's what she said!!!!!!

o_O
:D

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Looks pretty good for an inexpensive sub. Might be interested if I decide to buy a sub to supplement my Infinity towers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis