DTS vs Dolby Digital 5.1

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
DTS has more coming from the surrounds because Dolby cuts the volume to the surrounds by 3db. This information was not available to the public when DTS came out with their system. So DTS did not cut them.
I do like the sound from DTS a little more than from DD. But as others have said, it's more likely due to how the sound was mastered than the DTS vs DD format.
When shopping for a DVD I will look for DTS. But if it's not available I am usually very happy with DD.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Pyrrho said:
Very often, audio snobs do not listen to reason, and become abusive when their fairy tales are questioned or revealed. Think of anyone who believes in a false religion (as all different religions contradict each other, at most, one is completely true, though they could all involve falsehood), and think about their reaction if you attempt to show that it is false. That should give you the idea of how many people react in audio. So you are likely to have gotten the same response even if armed with the links and information in this thread. True believers in audio nonsense typically avoid reading things that involve real information, and instead read only what reinforces their current beliefs (if they read anything at all). The "DTS is better because it is less compressed" myth is not likely to ever die, as long as people still listen to the current formats. In fact, we even keep seeing it in this very thread, even after it has been shown to be an unwarranted belief.

(If someone is reading this and wondering about it, you need to read this thread from the beginning, and read the article at the first link you encounter.)
How about i just like DTS better because i do,is that ok?

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
shokhead said:
How about i just like DTS better because i do,is that ok?
It is absolutely fine to prefer one mix of a soundtrack over another. You should absolutely listen to whatever soundtrack on a DVD that you want, for whatever reason you want. The mistake occurs when one attributes the difference between soundtracks to the wrong cause. And then people advise others according to their mistake. That is what threads like this are all about.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis