DTS-HD MA & TrueHD Bitstream via ATI HD 5870 Video Card

jinjuku

jinjuku

Hopefully a IGP option of this card will be coming soon. I would even take a lower clocked passively cooled version.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Not to mention it enables DXVA decoding of 2 video streams. AMD is really delivering on what the masses are screaming for.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Finally these are coming out... I just want a lower end card like a 5670 or even lower, just for blu ray playback, but still with bitstreaming of lossless codecs.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Finally these are coming out... I just want a lower end card like a 5670 or even lower, just for blu ray playback, but still with bitstreaming of lossless codecs.
I would imagine those would be out by years end.....kinda pisses me off the they didn't already do that with the 4770. Its the same architecture. WOuld have been a perfect card for HTPC/gaming.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I know what I want for Christmas (December) or birthday (January).:D:D:D

I guess the HD4850 can go in my 2nd desktop, and my Mozart HTPC will probably get the new Sapphire HD5870.:D

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
Awesome. Thanks for the news. I knew it would happen soon.

Too bad I just bought a 4890 this summer. Looks like I will be waiting on these...

A

Amherst

Audioholic Intern
I would imagine those would be out by years end.....kinda pisses me off the they didn't already do that with the 4770. Its the same architecture. WOuld have been a perfect card for HTPC/gaming.
I own the 4670 card and found out the hard way, figured hdmi with audio how great!
I am also one with puddles of urine lying around after figuring that one out.
This is just another example of the $billions$ of corporate consumer ripoffs.

Now just go spend your $$$ and toss the old one for no reason.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I own the 4670 card and found out the hard way, figured hdmi with audio how great!

That is why I have stayed a step back from the bleeding edge: All you do if you are at the bleeding edge is get cut. So for years I have simply expanded my DVD collection and resigned myself to being happy with w/o any Hi-Def sources.

Now with cable card coming to home brew computing and PAP now supported on a mainstream product all I have to do is wait for TMT or Cyberlink to update their software to support it and then pull the trigger on a $99 Blu-Ray Drive.

A

Amherst

Audioholic Intern
That is why I have stayed a step back from the bleeding edge: All you do if you are at the bleeding edge is get cut. So for years I have simply expanded my DVD collection and resigned myself to being happy with w/o any Hi-Def sources.

Now with cable card coming to home brew computing and PAP now supported on a mainstream product all I have to do is wait for TMT or Cyberlink to update their software to support it and then pull the trigger on a $99 Blu-Ray Drive.
This is my normal coarse but I jumped on this one, hoping to make my home server dual purpose and serve as a htpc also. Didn't happen. I'll be damned before I give Sapphire another nickel for quite some time.
Now if they were willing to accept my old card in a fair trade? A corporation stepping up to the plate so to speak, MAYBE.:rolleyes:

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
You can still get lossless audio via PCM from your 4670, you just can't bitstream... but I'm hoping the upcoming 5470 entry level card will allow for bitstreaming of lossless, and if it does I'm going to get one for sure.

A

Amherst

Audioholic Intern
Have just purchased an hdmi switch and cable long enough to reach the server.
Will be trying set-up this weekend. The server also runs my security and at least I will be able to check that. Definitely hoping for more as my server is a beast and multi-tasking is not an issue.

jinjuku

jinjuku

This is my normal coarse but I jumped on this one, hoping to make my home server dual purpose and serve as a htpc also. Didn't happen. I'll be damned before I give Sapphire another nickel for quite some time.
Now if they were willing to accept my old card in a fair trade? A corporation stepping up to the plate so to speak, MAYBE.:rolleyes:
It's not Sapphires fault. Just is what it is. I have always known that the current crop of video cards weren't up to the task so I waited it out.

One of these days the holy grail of HTPC will be achieved:eek:

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai

Well the 4770 that I used to have was built on the same 40nm GPU. All the other 4 series cards are the regular 65nm or whatever.

jinjuku

jinjuku

You can still get lossless audio via PCM from your 4670, you just can't bitstream... but I'm hoping the upcoming 5470 entry level card will allow for bitstreaming of lossless, and if it does I'm going to get one for sure.
I thought it was lossless PCM 2 channels.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Here is the patch for PowerDVD 9 Ultra to enable bitstreaming of lossless audio via the new ATI cards.

http://update.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/patch/powerdvd/9/U/CyberLink.2115(Patch)_DVD090914-06.exe

Arcsoft has not yet released any patch for TMT 3, but I'm sure it will be out very soon.
In addition to the patch allowing bitstreaming of lossless audio for those with the right cards, it will also allow video playback in Aero mode, so no more annoying notification that it is switching to basic mode. Just go to settings, video, advanced mode, and untick the box to switch to basic mode, or whatever it's called.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Did you get a chance to compare the DTS-HD MA ---> PCM on TMT?

I still think somehow it sounds very compressed. When I toggle back and forth between HDMI (bitstream) & 5.1 (PCM) audio setting, the bitstream sounded a lot more "lively" - everything sounded clearer.

If the ATI HD5470 can do bitstreaming, I would probably get that too.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis