KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I am planning a trip to Italy in May. Flying into Catanina, Italy.
What I am wondering is how laid-back (or not) driving is in Italy.
The consideration is whether or not to rent a car straight out of the airport or wait a day to observe the pace and flow of traffic.
As background, I know I will be a little out of sorts after the long overnight flight, but I am an alert/aggressive driver.
If it was driving into Atlanta, I would be okay because I know how people drive here.
When I went to Ecuador, drivers did several things (like passing on double yellow) that would have been very stressful until I had time as a passenger to understand that it was routine and had a chance to see how drivers reacted to accommodate it.
The process of composing and writing the question has convinced me that I want to wait (funny how that works), but I still would like to hear comments on driving in Italy to know what to expect.
Thanks!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have driven in Italy. The Autostrada are not too bad, but a lot of Italians drive fast, so really watch your rear view mirror.

The towns are the most difficult. Like most continental Europeans, they drive on their horns. There are motor scooters everywhere, just colossal numbers of them. They seem to come at you from all directions. The roads are in the main narrow. The towns do have wonderful Piatzas though. The buildings and streets are ancient and the Italians do not update and totally ignore handicapped accessibility rules.

The food is wonderful. You can't get a bad meal.

My brother made a celebrated speech at a conservative party conference some years ago. He wanted what he called a Polermo clause. He wanted no EU law or regulation to be law until it had been enforced in Polermo!.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have been a coupla times, although the last time was early-mid 80s. Never drove myself but on one trip some business associates drove me from Rome to Milan in a nice fast Alfa sedan; one spent a few months a year there and it was his car we were in. The Autostrada is pretty cool, we did some fairly high speeds. Even got pulled over by the Carabineri once, guys with machine guns on motorcycles, had to show them our papers (we were all from other countries).

Like TLSG says, lots of narrow town streets and kinda have to know where you are, hopefully GPS is helpful. I remember some streets in Firenze I saw cars on that didn't seem even possible. The food was universally awesome on my several trips there, too. Godere!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Make sure you have wiper fluid to get the blood off the windshield.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
@KEW I recommend you watch Top Gear's
and do everything pretty much the opposite and you'll be fine :)
get a small fast car - Fiat 500 Abrath

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Your suspicions that drivers in Italy do several things quite different than in the USA is absolutely correct. I drove in southern Italy, near Brindisi, in 1972-73. Initially I was terrified by road conditions and Italian driving habits for about half a year. Slowly I began to understand that the unwritten Italian “Rules of the Road” were very different than in the USA. Here's what I can remember about those Rules.

Drive fast and know how to handle your car (includes steering and braking) at high speed on often poor roads.

Learn how to look for what other drivers are doing or are about to do. If you accelerate, your front bumper raises a bit, and if you brake, your front bumper drops down a bit. There is an Italian phrase which translates as “Always keep your front bumper up!” This is both a joke and a standard practice on Italian roads. Similar to the change in front bumper position as an acceleration indicator, a car’s front wheels can indicate, a moment before an actual lane change, that a driver is initiating a steering change.

In the USA a smart driver will eventually learn these things, but most drivers are unaware of them. Compared to Italian drivers, they act passively, like sheep in a herd. Americans often drive distracted without observing whats going on around them. In Italy knowing whats going on and how to respond are mandatory for survival. Compared to typical American drivers, Italians are very observant and they expect other drivers on the road to be the same.

Learn how to signal other drivers both with your horn and your headlights. This is actually very useful. Unlike in America, it is not considered rude.

Know exactly how wide your car is. In towns and cities you absolutely will be in situations where you can fit in narrow spaces with an inch or two to spare. It took me months to know, with confidence, where I could fit my car.

On multi-lane roads, such as the AutoStrada, you must pass only on the left, and you must use turn signals during the entire pass until you return to the right hand lane.

In the US, most drivers are rather passive or timid about passing slower cars. They usually follow a slower car for a while, often tail gating, until they reach a stretch of road that allows passing. This standard US behavior pisses off Italian drivers. On Italian roads there is a pecking order (an aristocracy if you will) based on the expense of your car. A more expensive or powerful car is supposed to pass a cheaper car without hesitating. A car lower on the pecking order must yield to the superior car overtaking it. On narrower two lane roads, this meant the slower car partially pulled over to the right giving the faster car more room to pass. I found that if I followed for a while before passing an inferior car, my unwitting violation of the Italian Rules of the Road insulted the driver of the slower car to the point that he moved his car to the left instead of to the right as I passed him. I clearly remember my surprise when I decided not to slow down and follow before passing. The other driver readily cooperated with me by moving to the right! This was not unique to that one driver – I found it was easily repeated with others.

My experience was a long time ago, but somehow, I don’t think things have changed too much in Italy.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Even got pulled over by the Carabineri once, guys with machine guns on motorcycles, had to show them our papers (we were all from other countries).
When I was there, while in the Navy, I was taught to do exactly what the Carabineri tell you – don't ask questions or show attitude. They rode very cool looking Moto Guzzi motorcycles in pairs, separated by about half a km on the highway. And yes, they had machine guns. I never had to deal with them, probably because I drove a car with plates identifying me as US military.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Make sure you have wiper fluid to get the blood off the windshield.
A Fiat 500 (500 in Italian is cinquacento, but pronounced as "chink") was the absolute cheapest junk one could drive on the road. The name referred to a 500 cc air cooled engine. The present day chink probably isn't quite as junky as the old chink was, but I suspect windshield washers were an extra cost option that very few actually had.

A run-in between a Chink and a pedestrian was a fairly even match, depending on the weight of the pedestrian. Once I finally understood the Italian Rules of the Road, I finally got why Chink drivers were so aggressive toward pedestrians. There was nothing else on the road they were superior to :eek:.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
When I was there, while in the Navy, I was taught to do exactly what the Carabineri tell you – don't ask questions or show attitude. They rode very cool looking Moto Guzzi motorcycles in pairs, separated by about half a km on the highway. And yes, they had machine guns. I never had to deal with them, probably because I drove a car with plates identifying me as US military.
Pretty much what the guy driving said to do, just do what they want, don't do or say anything stupid, they'll check us out and move on. I think he might have even slipped them a little bit of something for the coffee fund. They did have some very nice MG bikes. I think we got three guys, might have been a fourth, but seems they don't go it alone from what I saw...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
A Fiat 500 (500 in Italian is cinquacento, but pronounced as "chink") was the absolute cheapest junk one could drive on the road. The name referred to a 500 cc air cooled engine. The present day chink probably isn't quite as junky as the old chink was, but I suspect windshield washers were an extra cost option that very few actually had.

A run-in between a Chink and a pedestrian was a fairly even match, depending on the weight of the pedestrian. Once I finally understood the Italian Rules of the Road, I finally got why Chink drivers were so aggressive toward pedestrians. There was nothing else on the road they were superior to :eek:.
http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/2016-fiat-500-abarth-drive-review-all-you-need-engine
Fiat has came a long way since the original cinch, with 1.4L turbocharged engine doing almost 160hp. But point stays same - small fast car is what I'd think is best. Focus Fiesta ST and Volkswagen Golf GTI are worthy alternatives.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for all of the great comments!

Free to watch for anyone with Amazon Prime, James May's Cars of the People is a lot of fun and goes into detail on the history (and infamy) of the Fiat 500 (and VW Beetle)!
https://www.amazon.com/James-Mays-Cars-People/dp/B00N1Q5Q22

One of the most interesting aspects of this was how Hitler used the VW Beetle to finance his war machine... I had no idea! What a insidiously great way to get people to happily pay extra taxes!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for all of the great comments!

Free to watch for anyone with Amazon Prime, James May's Cars of the People is a lot of fun and goes into detail on the history (and infamy) of the Fiat 500 (and VW Beetle)!
https://www.amazon.com/James-Mays-Cars-People/dp/B00N1Q5Q22

One of the most interesting aspects of this was how Hitler used the VW Beetle to finance his war machine... I had no idea! What a insidiously great way to get people to happily pay extra taxes!
Hold it, Hold it,Hold it!
This mini-series is dated 2014.
that one is 2013:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D9MU99M/ref=pd_cbs_318_4
This one 2012:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007UXS8AE/ref=dv_web_wtls_ovl_tit
And this one all the way back in 2009
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CT7340E/ref=pd_cbs_318_2
Given all of these are Amazon produced, I think it much lesser surprise why the band stuck with same folks for GT

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Hold it, Hold it,Hold it!
This mini-series is dated 2014.
that one is 2013:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D9MU99M/ref=pd_cbs_318_4
This one 2012:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007UXS8AE/ref=dv_web_wtls_ovl_tit
And this one all the way back in 2009
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CT7340E/ref=pd_cbs_318_2
Given all of these are Amazon produced, I think it much lesser surprise why the band stuck with same folks for GT
Aside from Grand Tour, I think they are mostly (if not all) produced by BBC and Amazon paid for rights to distribute.

Ahh, I looks like Clarkson pissed off his boss and got fired and Hammond and May quit Top Gear in a show of solidarity!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_(2002_TV_series)

And it looks like Hammond is just recently out of Grand Tour:
http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2017/4/1/Richard-Hammond-Departs-The-Grand-Tour-Chris-Evans-Takes-His-Place-7738492/

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Aside from Grand Tour, I think they are mostly (if not all) produced by BBC and Amazon paid for rights to distribute.

Ahh, I looks like Clarkson pissed off his boss and got fired and Hammond and May quit Top Gear in a show of solidarity!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_(2002_TV_series)

And it looks like Hammond is just recently out of Grand Tour:
http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2017/4/1/Richard-Hammond-Departs-The-Grand-Tour-Chris-Evans-Takes-His-Place-7738492/
Last one is April's fool joke

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Richard Hammond always seem a little familiar to me and a couple of weeks ago, I realized that he reminded me of an older (or younger) Davy Jones (from The Monkees)!!! LOL!

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I still sometimes wake up at night sweating from the memories of taking a taxi in Rome, together with my wife.

The guy was driving 60mph down alleys hardly wider than the car, (taking into account the parked cars on both sides of the alley)
I still remember the scared to death pedestrans that were running for their lives and jumping across parked cars in order to get out of the alley in order to escape the certain death...

Probably as normal as driving gets in Rome =:-o

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I still sometimes wake up at night sweating from the memories of taking a taxi in Rome, together with my wife.

The guy was driving 60mph down alleys hardly wider than the car, I still remember the shocked pedestrans that were running for their lives and jumping across parked cars in order to get out of the street.

Probably as normal as driving gets in Rome =:-o
You're sure, that you didn't get by accident in the stunt car shooting movie of italian version of Taxi?
(yes, they made US remake, but it's sheer atrocity)

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
You're sure, that you didn't get by accident in the stunt car shooting movie of italian version of Taxi?
(yes, they made US remake, but it's sheer atrocity)
Not that I know of, but from our experience thus kind of driving is normal in Rome :p

We even repeated the experience of taking taxi in Rome !

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
To see some of the perils of driving in Italy watch the 1969 movie "If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium"

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis