Downloading/Streaming HD from CPU to home theather

J

joshus77

Enthusiast
I need help and I know next to nothing about what I would like to do.

I would like to use my computer to either rip blu-rays and get full HD vid/audio playback, or if there is a HD version of netflicks, itunes, etc. that allows me to stream or purchase the videos. I would like to use my ipad as the remote UI for the Asus to scroll and select from the video library. I looked over the Hamony link for ipad as a universal and I like the UI but haven't spent more than a couple of minutes in the research.

I have an ASUS win7 with 12gb of RAM next to nothing on the hard drive, a denon 4311c, benq projector, and a lot of other little items that go with all of this. I have a component rack system and have about 6U open so pro equipment is an option if needed.

I have a reasonable budget ($5k), would prefer to know about software applications for my current equipment as a priority. I am not opposed to buying more components to work this system - speed and quality of the picture and sound are very important.

All knowledgable advice and info is more than welcome!

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
do you have the capability to provide for a Ethernet connection from your router to your 4311 via hardwire, a power-line adapter or via a wireless bridge ?

J

joshus77

Enthusiast
Yes, my router is about 1' away from both and I can plug it in along with the cpu.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Yes iTunes has HD streaming, it won't be nearly the quality of blu ray, but it is available. Netflix has HD streaming as well, so does amazon on demand. Depending on the quality of your internet connection, the HD streaming is usually better than DVD, but far short of blu-ray.

Use either an external thingy (apple tv, roku etc) or plug the A/V receiver directly into the router and stream through netflix or whatever, or depending on your tv, you may be able to connect that to the router and stream from there.

Personally I use my panasonic plasma and stream from amazon on demand since I'm an amazon prime member.

You can also hook up your computer to the tv or avr with an hdmi cable if your computer has an hdmi port and just do the whole external monitor thing.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
The computer plugged directly into your TV will always give you the most flexibility, but often a slightly more complicated interface. As the geek I am, I use my HTPC for everything and love it, but it's not for everyone.

For your dream of controlling everything with an ipad I might suggest looking into using XBMC on your computer. There's a little bit of a learning curve getting everything set up, but in the end it provides you with a good soild media player with extensive library features for movies.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Grador
how is this software for controlling the functions of a Denon or Yamaha receiver. How deep into the control functions does it go?

J

joshus77

Enthusiast
Thanks, for the recommendations. I will play around with my set up and update the thread as I figure this out. I joined amazon prime and I like it much more than Netflicks. HD quality looks like an upconvert more than actual HD, not even 720p from my eye.

I will have the computer as a selectable outsource to the projector so I can play with the XBMC, I also was told about an app for the Ipad that allows me to use my computer interface remotely called "Pocketcloud." If anyone has experience with any of these apps and prefer a different one for any reason please let me know.

So I had the thought of running a dual monitor making the UI my ipad working with XBMC and the Video out as the projector. We can see how well all of this works together. I had thoughts of buying the Sony Blu-ray 400 disc changer to at least have hands free access to my collection. I looked at the specs and I don't see much of a difference between the 960 and the 7000 model except for the $1300.

Please comment on any of this - all of your feedback is very valuable to me. I won't be 100% set up for another month so I am researching as much as possible prior to full commitment.

Thanks!!!

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Grador how is this software for controlling the functions of a Denon or Yamaha receiver. How deep into the control functions does it go?
XBMC will naively do no receiver control, but has a plugin interface so it is possible that there are plugins that will. You can also achieve this with other software, I have an application called eventghost running in the background that essentially watches for certain things to happen and performs tasks you specify once they have, it DOES support rs-232 commands as well as IR transmitters.

joshus77 said:
I will have the computer as a selectable outsource to the projector so I can play with the XBMC, I also was told about an app for the Ipad that allows me to use my computer interface remotely called "Pocketcloud." If anyone has experience with any of these apps and prefer a different one for any reason please let me know.
I use pocket cloud on my android phone and it works GREAT. For controlling XBMC though there are two better ways to go about it. There is an ipad app that allows you to control it, in addition to a built in web server. The app will give you a slicker interface and more information than the webserver. For either to work you'll need to go into the settings>network and enable webinterface.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis