Down-firing vs. Front-firing sub

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
As y'all maybe have seen in my earlier posts, I have a bright room with wood floors. I've heard arguments for and against both types of subwoofers. So my question is, for rooms with a hard floor, is a down-firing or front-firing subwoofer going to be better? (90%ht, 10%music)

Or to reduce the directionality of front-firing, would I be better off getting a front-firing sub and pointing it into the corner instead?

(Oh, and yes I plan on putting in area rugs for accoustic treatment, but I hadn't planned on the sub being in a position to sit on an area rug)

Last edited:
El Toro

El Toro

Audioholic Intern
I have hard wood floors and a down fireing sub, and have found that it works quite well if you place a small chunk of carpet under the sub it takes care of the reflections. It also adds back the clarity you lose from haveing the sound bounce directly off of the hardwood.

MY STUFF:
Denon 1082
Denon 1000 dvd
Denon 910 dvd
NAD T773
Monster power HTS 1000

Klipsch KLF-10
Klipsch KSC-C1
Klipsch SS-3
Klipsch KSW-12

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
gellor said:
As y'all maybe have seen in my earlier posts, I have a bright room with wood floors. I've heard arguments for and against both types of subwoofers. So my question is, for rooms with a hard floor, is a down-firing or front-firing subwoofer going to be better? (90%ht, 10%music)

Or to reduce the directionality of front-firing, would I be better off getting a front-firing sub and pointing it into the corner instead?

(Oh, and yes I plan on putting in area rugs for accoustic treatment, but I hadn't planned on the sub being in a position to sit on an area rug)
A lot is going to depend on where you cross the unit over at. If it is going to be lower than 50Hz then it won't matter. If above, you will get some directionality out of the sub. Floor treatments aren't going to change much with a sub, unless it's crossed over pretty high ~70 or above, so don't worry about that. The simple solution is to make sure you have a good set of mains that can easily go down to ~40 Hz, and cross the sub over as low as possible.

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
MacManNM said:
A lot is going to depend on where you cross the unit over at. If it is going to be lower than 50Hz then it won't matter. If above, you will get some directionality out of the sub. Floor treatments aren't going to change much with a sub, unless it's crossed over pretty high ~70 or above, so don't worry about that. The simple solution is to make sure you have a good set of mains that can easily go down to ~40 Hz, and cross the sub over as low as possible.
From the speakers I was looking at (Def Tech Mythos) I'd planned on crossing over around 60Hz. (They say 20Hz - 30kHz...but I've already got some beach-front property in NM)

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
60 prob isn't a great number for the crossover frequency. Most rooms have some weird stuff going on ~60 so I'd be inclined to bump it down a bit. I think you'll be fine going with either (front or down) in this case. What size is your room and what is your budget? Do you have any brands in mind?

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
gellor said:
From the speakers I was looking at (Def Tech Mythos) I'd planned on crossing over around 60Hz. (They say 20Hz - 30kHz...but I've already got some beach-front property in NM)
Are you talking about the Mythos Ones? They are pretty thin on bass regardless of what their specs state. I'd try the crossover at 80hz with those speakers and see how they sound. Every room/combo is different so try several crossover points and use what sounds best.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
gellor said:

I have a similar house setup. I tried 'em both and down-firing was definitely the way to go. Do add and area rub between the listening spots and the speakers. Get a little throw rug to put under the sub.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
From all of these posts it looks like you aren't going to be able to cut it off low. I would then recomend 2 subs up front or one down firing unit perhaps placed behind a sofa or some other large absorbing object behind you.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
gellor said:

At low frequency, 80Hz and lower, not an issue. Your room dimension is th eissue, where the sub sits is the issue. Corner usually the better location.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
mtrycrafts said:
At low frequency, 80Hz and lower, not an issue. Your room dimension is da eissue, where the sub sits is the issue. Corner usually the better location.
I agree with the corner location recommendation, but as far as firing, it's much easier to place a downfiring sub opposed to a front firing sub. Especially if your sub has a port opposite the driver.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Buckeyefan 1 said:
I agree with the corner location recommendation, but as far as firing, it's much easier to place a downfiring sub opposed to a front firing sub. Especially if your sub has a port opposite the driver.

Yes, the SVS is one. Very easy to shove it into the corner, unless the better half, or the other half want decorations on top :D

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
MacManNM said:
60 prob isn't a great number for the crossover frequency. Most rooms have some weird stuff going on ~60 so I'd be inclined to bump it down a bit. I think you'll be fine going with either (front or down) in this case. What size is your room and what is your budget? Do you have any brands in mind?
The only subs I've seen in action were the Velodynes at Circuit City (didn't like 'em) and the Definitive SuperCubes. But if Down-firing is the best idea, I might have to look at the SVS or HSUs...even though I don't know much about them.

For budget, I can probably go around $1k or under.

I'm not sure of the room dimensions. I'd guess its around 12'x18' with a foyer (8' wide) opening off to the back behind one side of the tv. I've got one available corner behind and to the side of the TV, and one in the back of the room. (The other side of the room opens into the kitchen/dining room, although there is a wall between them)

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
gellor said:
The only subs I've seen in action were the Velodynes at Circuit City (didn't like 'em) and the Definitive SuperCubes. But if Down-firing is the best idea, I might have to look at the SVS or HSUs...even though I don't know much about them.

For budget, I can probably go around $1k or under.

I'm not sure of the room dimensions. I'd guess its around 12'x18' with a foyer (8' wide) opening off to the back behind one side of the tv. I've got one available corner behind and to the side of the TV, and one in the back of the room. (The other side of the room opens into the kitchen/dining room, although there is a wall between them)
Since you are going to be listening to mostly HT, I'd recommend the PB12-ISD, it's $599 and should do really well in your room.

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
MacManNM said:
Since you are going to be listening to mostly HT, I'd recommend the PB12-ISD, it's $599 and should do really well in your room.
Any idea how it compares to the Outlaw LFM-1? The LFM-1 seems to give about 3Hz to the SVS...but I'm not sure how low movies typically require. (The LFM-1 goes to 25Hz vs. the SVS 22Hz) But the LFM-1 has a slightly higher power amp.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
gellor said:
Any idea how it compares to the Outlaw LFM-1? The LFM-1 seems to give about 3Hz to the SVS...but I'm not sure how low movies typically require. (The LFM-1 goes to 25Hz vs. the SVS 22Hz) But the LFM-1 has a slightly higher power amp.
If you want a better HT sub, go with the SVS. The depth they go is unreal. For a better musical sub, I'd say the Outlaw may be a tad better - especially with the added watts, and still commendable with HT.

pikers

pikers

Audioholic
Buckeyefan 1 said:
If you want a better HT sub, go with the SVS. The depth they go is unreal. For a better musical sub, I'd say the Outlaw may be a tad better - especially with the added watts, and still commendable with HT.
Y'all really need to visit a real store...

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
pikers said:
Y'all really need to visit a real store...

I think you should do a little research before spouting off (READ SOME PAST THREADS). Several members here have done extensive measurements and listening tests on a variety of products, and are here to give advice based on that knowkedge.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
MacManNM said:
I think you should do a little research before spouting off (READ SOME PAST THREADS). Several members here have done extensive measurements and listening tests on a variety of products, and are here to give advice based on that knowkedge.
I have to agree with Mac on this one. That comment although was not to overboard, but it was kinda uncalled for. Actually Pike, Mac and Buck have been to the SVS manufacture plant.. All for us here at Audioholics..
Thanks again guys....

majorloser

majorloser

Downward firing sub do have a tendancy to take away any perception of directionality (too many big words for me!).

They make the bass frequencies seem to eminate from around the room. This is good when you only want to use one powered subwoofer. Forward firing subs can create bass "hotspots". As with any subwoofer, placement is the key. A cheap Radio Shack meter can help you work out placement by moving to various locations.

As far as selection, Outlaw is very reasonably priced and has been very well rated in many magazine. Now if you want to "kick it up a few notches" (thanks Emeril), they offer a good deal when you buy two LMF-1's. Save $159!!!!!!!!!!!

Now if somebody would just built the MTX Jackhammer into a home subwoofer!!!!! THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! The true BMF
http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/products/subwoofers/jackHammer.cfm

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis