S

speedy

Audioholic Intern
if i buy a sub that has the speaker on the facing the bottom...like what the hsu stf-2 has....do i have to put a piece of mdf or something like that for the sub to sit on.....i have carpeting and ive heard that it might sound kinda weird...bouncing off of the carpet...ant truth to this......thanks...

T

Tom V.

Audioholic
if i buy a sub that has the speaker on the facing the bottom...like what the hsu stf-2 has....do i have to put a piece of mdf or something like that for the sub to sit on.....i have carpeting and ive heard that it might sound kinda weird...bouncing off of the carpet...ant truth to this......thanks...
No need to put anything under the subwoofer. The sound waves the subwoofer produces are so long they really aren't affected by carpeting in an audible manner.

Tom V.

S

speedy

Audioholic Intern
now does it matter if its down firing or front firing....is there a sound difference......

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
If your questioning the sound it makes they sound the same in a way, but depending where the port is (air hole) they make a big diffrents the sound waves in down fireing sub go down and around the a front fireing fires strait to the listening position hope I've been able to help you if you message the sub addict his name is fuzz, he will be able to explain in more detail

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
In bass frequencies, the sounds waves are omnidirectional. It goes not matter if the driver is front, side or bottom firing.

Not sure what BigB is referring to, but the port characteristics are chosen, based on the enclosure volume and port length, to maximize output as driver nears maximum excursion. At this frequency the air movement is maximum and the port needs to be sized in a manner that allows adequate air flow. The latter when insufficient leads to what is called "port chuffing".

Bottom line, you don't need a plate under a down firing driver as long as the carpet does not foul with the driver.

TomC1315

TomC1315

Audiophyte
It shouldn't matter one way or another ... most down-firing subs have enough leg so as to provide enough distance between the driver and the floor. My SVS PC12Plus was designed with a MDF base which tells me that if you'd prefer a piece of MDF underneath, for whatever reason, it would be OK.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis