Double reciver setup

B

Brodie Cook

Audiophyte
Hi there,
I am trying to connect my main receiver (Integra DTR 30.6) indoors to another receiver (Pioneer VSX-918v) I have running my outdoor setup. I want to be able to play the source on my main receiver and it be transmitted to the second receiver outdoors so I'm hearing the same music in both areas at the same time. I was told to use an RCA cable but there is a lot of backround noise/static on the outdoor setup. Could someone please help

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
What is the SOURCE you are using that you would like to play on both receivers? The simplest solution would be to use two separate outputs from that device (Blu-Ray/DVD player, CD player, etc.) or a splitter on the single output to feed each receiver independently rather than trying to connect them to each other.

Depending upon the distance, you may very well need a signal booster.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The Zone 2 line out is the typical connection to use. You may need better RCA cables if you are picking up noise on the lines. I'm not sure what source you are using, or if you have multiple sources you are shooting to use in the different locations.

The Integra does have dual HDMI outputs, and the Pioneer does have HDMI inputs, so I would likely opt for using a HDMI cable from the secondary output on the Integra to the Pioneer. This will get rid of all noise and deliver the absolute best quality in sound between the two locations.

Once again, this may be impacted by distance.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

If you have Receiver #2 located a considerable distance from Receiver #1, it might be better to locate #2 close to #1 and run long speaker cables instead of long RCA cables.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

B

Brodie Cook

Audiophyte
I have a pc and android tv box hooked to the Integra so if I'm playing music on the Integra from the pc or TV box I want it also going to the pioneer to play outside also. I thought about the zone 2 but as far as I can figure it would only play the same source in one zone also I'm running 7.1 off the Integra and 5.1 off the pioneer, zone 2 would only let me play stereo as far as I know

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
And where is the Pioneer receiver in relation to the Integra and the outside speakers? With the outdoor speakers what are you trying to achieve? It's not usually the environment for anything other than stereo, and even that is often compromised down to monaural.

B

Brodie Cook

Audiophyte
The pioneer is about 10 metres away from the Integra. I'm running 5 speakers and 1 sub outside and have them set to play in stereo but as far as I know zone 2 will only let me use 2 speakers in stereo not 5.1

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I'm leaving this to people who know more than me because I'd tell you to just split each of the SOURCES and send the same signal to each receiver. I don't know what your source material format is (PCM surround or just two-channel stereo) so my reaction would be to just duplicate the inputs you have at the Integra over to the Pioneer.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Run an HDMI cable from the Integra to the Pioneer. The internal processing of the Pioneer should be fine to convert from surround sound to stereo and back again. If there's no video outside, then the use of surround sound is mostly pointless. So, running stereo isn't really an issue IMO based upon the setup outside. Even mono may be appropriate.

You could extend the speaker wiring over to the Integra and put both receivers next to each other, which certainly would simplify any future changes you wanted to make between receivers, but if you have a clean path, just picking up a HDMI cable which is long enough and putting them between the two receivers should work nicely and quickly.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I can't envision the usefulness of 5.1 outside unless you have a video screen and fixed positions for both seating and speakers.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I'm running 5 speakers and 1 sub outside and have them set to play in stereo but as far as I know zone 2 will only let me use 2 speakers in stereo not 5.1
It sound like you're doing All Channel Stereo, not 5.1 surround. And you're right about Zone 2. It has 2 preouts. If you feed Zone 2 into a second AVR, any "surround" mode must be artificially created by the second AVR.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Here's the rub: HDMI carries stereo or surround sound. It does not carry both.

While some receivers may have dual decoders and DSP controllers to take zone 1 surround sound and convert it down to stereo, most do not. So, when using zone 2 stereo audio, the only way to get it is by running analog audio between the source and the analog (red/white RCA) inputs on the receiver.

By running a HDMI cable between the two receivers, the main zone can use it's DSP to properly handle surround sound.

The secondary output pushes surround sound to your second receiver, which then can use it's internal DSP to run the audio however you would like with ZERO impact to the main zone! This is great because you can run 5 channel stereo, surround sound, mono, or whatever other DSP option that the Pioneer offers you.

HDMI made a huge mistake in not requiring stereo at all times and then offering an option of surround sound for sources which support it. But, that is why I recommend the HDMI cable between the two locations.

As well, the all digital connection of HDMI over that distance should be just fine and well pretty much guarantee the best possible audio quality to the second receiver and your outdoor speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis