Don't let Apple Corp dictate whats in a receiver

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

ANDROID !!!!

Apple Blows
I tried Android, it didn't work out so well for me. Considering the options available right now it's either Android or Apple. From my experience Apple is just a bit more polished.

Throws daggers your way :D ;)

I can understand the integration movement and yes, it all sounds cool. However, I don't want to move into integration at the expense of audio quality by using cheaper power supplies/amp circuits. Thats what I'm getting at.
I'm not throwing daggers.. :) If products are becoming inferior due to integration than I am also against it. However I think cheap sells thanks to Walmart and Club stores. Most people don't care about the quality as long as it does ..... or ...... and right now Apple is the buzz word in the tech world.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I have used various Blackberrys, iPhone 3G, 3GS and G2, My Touch, Sensation 4G with Andriod. They all have their pros and cons. No phone works for everyone in every possible consideration.

I think this sums it up pretty well...

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I have an Ipod connected to a 10 year old receiver. The cables needed cost me about $2.50. What is all the Ipod ready hoopla about anyhow?

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I have an Ipod connected to a 10 year old receiver. The cables needed cost me about $2.50. What is all the Ipod ready hoopla about anyhow?
That doesn't let you control the iPod using the receiver remote (or over the network via an app), view the song info and browse on the TV, etc.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What exactly has Apple done that has benefitted the consumer in terms of music? Aside from keeping the "music industry" quiet over MP3, I just don't see anything they've done as a good thing for music. They've single handedly killed off most B&M sales, meaning 99% of your good old local record shops and even the large stores that still carry media have a crappy selection 9 out of 10 times. I had no choice but to switch to online (mostly Amazon) because that is the only place I can find the stuff I like generally. They practically killed off physical media; which ultimately would go away at some point anyway, but they more or less sped it up. They destroyed the concept of an album, since anyone can just go get one song and never hear the rest of that album as the artist intended. They created that "single" mentality, where you only have to have the song you've heard, though I do admit that not every song on every album is worth owning. They may have put music at everyone's fingertips, but they also inadvertently created a culture of consumers that have less attachment to music than ever before. They did more harm than good IMHO. Yes, we are the minority, but that doesn't mean that the masses know what the hell they are doing. Most people on this forum and others like it are the minority because we have decent systems on which to enjoy all of our media. Does that mean there's something wrong with Audioholics? I don't think so. One of my favorite movie quotes: "What the public doesn't know is what makes them the public." That's my 2 cents.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd say this mentality has been around for ages... long before apple or even MP3.
Sort of, but you (I) frequently would just go buy the album that the song was from rather than pick up the single. The benefit of buying a single, especially in my vinyl days, was to get the B-sides and/or remix, extended, etc... versions of the song; often before the album came out. Maybe back in the 50s when the single was essentially what they were selling, not whole albums, but that was different.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Mass produced is targeted at the mass market. It is simply the trend and welcome to the "future forward".

We need to find the Emotiva, Salk and Funkywaves in AV that cater to what AH want. Just like Tube Amps and Vinyl Players eventually, we will need to hunt for the inevitably dying breeds of the following:

1) Physical Disc media
2) Publishers of physical books
3) IC engine anything and/or manual transmission cars

But, Vacuum Tubes are still made, just not mass produced/consumed.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
It's not Apple, it's the consumers. They want features. iPod integration is another tickbox in the features list.
Keep in mind..
>250 Million iPods have been sold and many users want to be able to play their audio and video tracks through their home theater system..
Besides an iTouch or iPhone or iPad makes an incredible universal remote control..

Just my $0.02... ;)

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Well like it or not integration of mobile products and home audio are here to stay. You can either embrace it and enjoy the new found technology or you can refuse to use it and run in the opposite direction. In several ways the new apple integration has made my job a lot easier.
I think both quality and simplicity can coexist. Btw I'm mainly referring to the web/app control of home audio products not just listening to music.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
What exactly has Apple done that has benefitted the consumer in terms of music? Aside from keeping the "music industry" quiet over MP3, I just don't see anything they've done as a good thing for music.
Good for the music industry, or good for consumers?

They have done an enormous amount for consumers. Apple has pretty much singlehandedly revolutionized how we consume music.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
Has that actually happened?

Is there any evidence that, at a given price point, midrange receivers have less power than they did say 5-10 years ago?
Yes... just look for the Audioholics talking about this very topic a few years ago, and slamming Yamaha pretty hard for their xx3 series AVR's and their dismal amp sections... Granted, Yamaha seems to have heard the complaints and beefed up their amp sections in the xx7/xx8 series AVR's...

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
That was one manufacturer, who apparently fixed it. Anything else?

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
No iPods or anything Apple/Mac...
Have to admit, I'm part of the anti-apple crowd as well... This goes way back to my hatred of early Macs... but I think it was the "everything proprietary" mentality of Apple that kept me away for so long...

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
That was one manufacturer, who apparently fixed it. Anything else?
You asked if it happened, and I provided you a clear example. I didn't say it's a widespread phenomenon.

But, look at Onkyo - praised for providing so many features for so few dollars - and look at the x08/x09 AVR problems... Not amp section issues (they seem to have solid amps)... but other reliability problems...

What good are all of the new features if corners are cut elsewhere and the reliability of the product suffers?

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I was looking for an industry-wide downward trend in amp section quality. A dip in quality from a single manufacturer for a couple of years isn't really anything to get worried about. The indication is that, no, amps have not gotten worse over the years at a given price point.

So it's really much ado about nothing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis