Don’t Trust Your Hotel Room Safe

tattoo_Dan

tattoo_Dan

Banned
:) thanks ! that's great info,

we are leaving for Kauai on the 11th,I'll check that when we get there.

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
I travel for a living and I refuse to use the safes. Most aren't even secured in place well enough.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
We just used the hotel safe when we went to Disnelyand last month. But it's not like I thought those things were all that safe anyway. Obviously the hotel staff needs to be able to get into those things if they need to.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I never leave my laptop in my room. I goes with me.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Kinda like password protecting your computer. Any level of protection is better than none. People are lazy and most commit crimes of opportunity.

Still It would take very little in terms of hard ware to punch a hotel safe.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for that info!

Not trying to threadjack, but this is related. Last year, I bought a new safe for home and was worried that it wasn't very secure, so I did some research. Within 30 minutes, I found video details of three ways to open it without a combination or a key. Some of the videos were focused on hotel safes that use similar technology. I hadn't seen one on using a default password, though.

I was so bothered by the lack of security, and the number of positive reviews on Amazon for my safe from people using it to lock up their guns, that I made a video for it. If you'd like to watch it, it's located here at Amazon (scroll down to the reviews). Just a heads up - the video is about ten minutes long, but you can always just read the review. Great safe for keeping young kids out, but a burglar or teenager could get in pretty easily.

My search for another safe wasn't all that satisfactory, as all the ones that I considered had videos showing someone opening them fairly easily. The most common approach is imparting a shock on the safe to jolt the internal locking mechanism (called safe bouncing).

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for that info!

Not trying to threadjack, but this is related. Last year, I bought a new safe for home and was worried that it wasn't very secure, so I did some research. Within 30 minutes, I found video details of three ways to open it without a combination or a key. Some of the videos were focused on hotel safes that use similar technology. I hadn't seen one on using a default password, though.

I was so bothered by the lack of security, and the number of positive reviews on Amazon for my safe from people using it to lock up their guns, that I made a video for it. If you'd like to watch it, it's located here at Amazon (scroll down to the reviews). Just a heads up - the video is about ten minutes long, but you can always just read the review. Great safe for keeping young kids out, but a burglar or teenager could get in pretty easily.

My search for another safe wasn't all that satisfactory, as all the ones that I considered had videos showing someone opening them fairly easily. The most common approach is imparting a shock on the safe to jolt the internal locking mechanism (called safe bouncing).
That's why I mount my guns on a sentry bot. Not only will burglars be unable to take them, they will never come near my house again. :D

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for that info!

i tried the "slam" thing to open my sentry safe, i wasn't successful. i guess that's good enough for me. it's either i hear someone doing that or i won't be here at all to do anything about it.

regarding the OP. wtf! i leave lots of cash in there not counting passports, camera equipment, etc.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
i tried the "slam" thing to open my sentry safe, i wasn't successful. i guess that's good enough for me.
You must love Myth Busters - "If I can't do it, it can't be done." :p :D I didn't get mine the first time, but after a couple of minutes, I got the timing down. (Misquote in three...two...one... :)).

I know that even if my safe couldn't be opened like that, it's no real deterent for a thief. They'd just take the whole safe. I made that video for people who were locking up their guns to keep their older kids out, or were really confident that a burglar couldn't get into one...wrong.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
You must love Myth Busters - "If I can't do it, it can't be done." :p :D I didn't get mine the first time, but after a couple of minutes, I got the timing down. (Misquote in three...two...one... :)).

I know that even if my safe couldn't be opened like that, it's no real deterent for a thief. They'd just take the whole safe. I made that video for people who were locking up their guns to keep their older kids out, or were really confident that a burglar couldn't get into one...wrong.
i was halfway through your video when the PC crashed ... what did you put in there :D

yeah, mine is just to keep my kid or minions out of it. it's not like 'they' can carry the safe over the high perimeter walls dodging the guards and dogs ... that's if they can get into the locked house and locked rooms in the first place.

only a blackhawk helicopter and a team of navy seals broke through my security ... but i brought that bird down didn't I ... :cool::eek::D:rolleyes::eek::D ... stealth chopper parts anyone?

B

Baniebs

Enthusiast
I'm sure the cleaners and stuff can get in them pretty easily

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis