Domesticating the former-bachelor audiophile

S

somesnapper

Audioholic Intern
I think it's unreasonable to have to get rid of your equipment and a "part of you" over WAF. Getting a home doesn't mean that your not allowed to have hobbies. One more vote for the basement.

K

klaberte

Enthusiast
I think it's unreasonable to have to get rid of your equipment and a "part of you" over WAF. Getting a home doesn't mean that your not allowed to have hobbies. One more vote for the basement.
Again, thanks for everyone's help. I really appreciate it!

To be clear, I will build an AV room in the basement, ideally within 12 months. I've shown my wife the setup of TLS Guy so she knows what to expect. ;-)

So, the goal here is not to make an optimal setup, but to create one that is acceptable (I know, loaded word) for casual TV watching for both me and my wife. The primary use for this family room is not AV. I just want audio that is as good as it can be, given the requirements that:

1. Small speakers must sit on the hearth above the fireplace.
2. Small subwoofer is allowed.
3. My wife agrees to live in the house.

What I think this means is small, sealed speakers, no deeper than 9", that also reach down to 80-100 Hz so the subwoofer is not too localized. So far, leading contenders appear to be

1. Ascend HTM-200 SE
2. Axiom M2 or M3 on-wall.
3. NHT superzeros or superones or absolute zeros (I have the old superones, so that would be my default. However, I am not "thrilled" with the upper end. Maybe nothing will match the lovely top end of my Snell JIII...)

Others still under consideration
4. Emotiva XRM-4.1 is front ported, so it might extend deep enough (not sure how to judge the claimed 88 Hz bottom of these)
5. EMP E3b: with only a 3" woofer, not sure that these will go deep enough to 80-100 Hz.
6. Aperion Intimus 4B is sealed with 4" woofer. Not sure they will go deep enough 80-100 Hz.
7. EMP E5Bi are back ported and 8" deep. So I would only have 0.5-1" of room for the port to breath. Given that these will be rolled off at 80-100 Hz, not sure how problematic that will be (opinions?)
8. Arx A1: I really wanted these to work. They just would fit (8.7" deep). I would likely need to plug the port, but sadly are no longer available. Unfortunately, the new A1b is too deep 10.25".

The subwoofer (I have a lot of options here, and really haven't decided, but am leaning towards SVS sealed) will likely go either

1. next to the front wall, in the left front corner (where the current owner has his TV); or
2. at the end of the couch, i.e. along the right wall between the white cabinet and the couch.

I would be very happy to hear comments on the above speakers I mentioned.

Thanks!

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
3. NHT superzeros or superones or absolute zeros (I have the old superones, so that would be my default. However, I am not "thrilled" with the upper end.

Maybe nothing will match the lovely top end of my Snell JIII...)
A lot of that, can be found in the Boston E60

Good luck with your adventure.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
What I think this means is small, sealed speakers, no deeper than 9", that also reach down to 80-100 Hz so the subwoofer is not too localized. So far, leading contenders appear to be

1. Ascend HTM-200 SE
2. Axiom M2 or M3 on-wall.
3. NHT superzeros or superones or absolute zeros (I have the old superones, so that would be my default. However, I am not "thrilled" with the upper end. Maybe nothing will match the lovely top end of my Snell JIII...)

Others still under consideration
4. Emotiva XRM-4.1 is front ported, so it might extend deep enough (not sure how to judge the claimed 88 Hz bottom of these)
5. EMP E3b: with only a 3" woofer, not sure that these will go deep enough to 80-100 Hz.
6. Aperion Intimus 4B is sealed with 4" woofer. Not sure they will go deep enough 80-100 Hz.
7. EMP E5Bi are back ported and 8" deep. So I would only have 0.5-1" of room for the port to breath. Given that these will be rolled off at 80-100 Hz, not sure how problematic that will be (opinions?)
8. Arx A1: I really wanted these to work. They just would fit (8.7" deep). I would likely need to plug the port, but sadly are no longer available. Unfortunately, the new A1b is too deep 10.25".
Sounds like you've been doing your research on the Internet Direct stuff. If I might make a suggestion, though, how about building a pair of speakers yourself?

These:

Continuum, Pr

In the sealed alignment will reach the necessary F3, and also provide much more resolution than the stuff you're looking at.

For reference, built by Salk Sound, they run for $1200/pr

Continuum specifications-pricing

The subwoofer (I have a lot of options here, and really haven't decided, but am leaning towards SVS sealed) will likely go either

1. next to the front wall, in the left front corner (where the current owner has his TV); or
2. at the end of the couch, i.e. along the right wall between the white cabinet and the couch.
Again, DIY! :D

K

klaberte

Enthusiast
The E60 are 8 11/16 deep, you gave a limit of 9 inches. They are
-3db at 65hz.
No, I did not say the speaker only needed to be <=9" deep. I said that they had to sit on a 9" hearth. That means a sealed speaker that is 9", or a ported speaker that its [depth] + [breathing room for the port] <= 9".

How well will the E60s do with 5/16" of breathing room? How does the needed breathing room change given that I will HPF them at 80 Hz?

Thanks for the amazon link! Glad I can put the E60/40 back on my list.

K

klaberte

Enthusiast
Diy

Sounds like you've been doing your research on the Internet Direct stuff. If I might make a suggestion, though, how about building a pair of speakers yourself?

These:

Continuum, Pr

In the sealed alignment will reach the necessary F3, and also provide much more resolution than the stuff you're looking at.

For reference, built by Salk Sound, they run for $1200/pr

Continuum specifications-pricing

Again, DIY! :D
I'm not completely opposed to DIY, and would be potentially go that route with a sub kit (any recommendations?).

However, I have no time or talent to build cabinets. If there was a kit that was as simple as building the cross-over and hooking and screwing things together, I may be game...

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
No, I did not say the speaker only needed to be <=9" deep. I said that they had to sit on a 9" hearth. That means a sealed speaker that is 9", or a ported speaker that its [depth] + [breathing room for the port] <= 9".

How well will the E60s do with 5/16" of breathing room? How does the needed breathing room change given that I will HPF them at 80 Hz?

Thanks for the amazon link! Glad I can put the E60/40 back on my list.
The good thing about the E sreies, is that they are front ported.
And, yes they will overall perform better on stands. The E60 is
fine with an 80hz crossover. I can not guarantee any performace
with any speaker in your set-up compromise. The E series with
normal proper placement, do have real good resolution, with real
good detail, definition and depth. I prefer them over any of the
NHT bookshelf speakers. Also, I like them better than the Snell
K7 bookshelf speakers.

Last edited:
sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
+1!!!!!!!

Over the fireplace is out of the question, it's just the worst possible location. If you must go with corner placement (the 2nd worst option) then go with front ported or sealed speakers and some treatments. Ascend Acoustics offers optional port plugs for their Sierra-1 which is how I use them in my master bedroom.

O

owasse

Audioholic Intern
I have to admit you have a dilemma in regard to TV placement. I too would be opposed to straining my neck every day while watching a TV over a fireplace. You've received some really good advice in regard to speakers - listen and pick what sounds good to you.

After all - the killer system will be in the future man cave :)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not completely opposed to DIY, and would be potentially go that route with a sub kit (any recommendations?).

However, I have no time or talent to build cabinets. If there was a kit that was as simple as building the cross-over and hooking and screwing things together, I may be game...
Don't build anything unless you want a wood working hobby. The proper tools alone will set you back. If you are the sub contracting type you could hire a cabinet maker to assemble and finish, but even then it's still probably cheaper to buy it already made. Since these aren't long term speakers you might consider taking it easy budget wise. I'd honestly just get a low cost pair of bookshelves and save the rest for the basement.

Behringer B2030P - 2-Way Passive Studio Monitors - Pair B2030P would fill the bill and be small enough to fit the depth they are front ported so don't need the breathing room.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis