Dolby Volume vs Audyssey Dynamic EQ

M

math wizard

Audioholic Intern
From my research, I understand that Dolby Volume performs the same function as Audyssey Dynamic EQ + Dynamic Volume. Is there anyone who has used both of the technologies that can tell me which one functions better? I have experience with Audyssey Dynamic EQ (works great), but am considering a unit that has only Dolby Volume. I want to make sure that I'm not giving up any functionality by going with a unit that has only Dolby Volume. All comments are welcomed.

Last edited:
F

Faustblix

Audioholic Intern
Can't help really, but since all comments are welcome, can say that as a noob or audiophyte, I'd be really interested in learning from someone answering this for you too. :)

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
We have experience for both Dolby Volume and Audyssey Volume, the Audyssey is adequate but less sohphisticated than Dolby in its handling for dynamic range control. Major differences is that Dolby monitors and adjusts each channel independently, while the Audyssey adjusts all channels if just 1 channel is too high. The end-result is that the Dolby delivers a soundfield with greater channel separation.

Handling dynamic range is 1 part but where Dolby really shows off its difference is when handling a Blu-ray HD media..
It is excellant for late nite movie viewing without disturbing the neighbors or waking up the baby..

Another key component is the frequency contouring for which Dolby offers some nice tweak options over the Audyssey ..

Just my $0.00... ;)

6L6X4

6L6X4

Audioholic
If you are looking at a device that has Audyssey's Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ it probably also has MultEQ or, even better, MulitEQ XT.

Personally, after living with the benifits of MultEQ XT, I wouldn't buy an AVR that didn't have this feature.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis