Dolby Atmos Speaker Application Question

V

vpm47

Audiophyte
My surround system is currently 7.2. Subs front and rear. Room dimensions are approx. 23'-2" long x 17'-3" wide x 8'-0" high. All speakers except the subs are Paradigm Studio/Reference series. My side and rear surround speakers are Paradigm ADP-590's which are mounted just below the ceiling. Each of these 4 speakers employ a front firing 7" low frequency driver and 2-1" high frequency, and 2-3-1/2" mid-frequency drivers mounted in a dipole configuration.

To upgrade this system to Dolby Atmos, what speakers would I need to add? What are my options?

V

vpm47

Audiophyte
Thank you for your reply. I am already aware of what you suggested. The reason I posted in this forum is to obtain responses that address my current surround and rear speaker type configuration. All of the articles written on this subject that I could find so far do not address dipole type speakers and assume the side and rear speakers are of the direct radiating type and are mounted at ear level. With my current room size and speaker configuration the side and rear surround speakers are supposed to be mounted at the ceiling level. The new A/V receiver is a given, which is not to be addressed in this post. Lowering the side and surround speakers will not happen as is this is not an option. If my side and surround speakers are already at the ceiling level, then it is a mute point to install ceiling speakers. I can see adding speakers angled towards the ceiling in the front of the room, but are ceiling directed speakers really needed in the rear with my current configuration?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
If you can't move your surround speakers, then yes, you'll want to focus on a 7.1.2 configuration. Without the surrounds at ear level, everything will more or less sound like its coming from above, so there's not much point in adding rear ceiling speakers.

Re: direct radiating vs dipole surrounds, direct radiating is recommended for all positions with Atmos as this makes it easier to pinpoint the sounds. A dipole by contrast offers a more diffuse presentation meant to mimic the arrays of speakers used in commercial theaters. That said, I'm not sure that the advent of Atmos necessarily means you have to throw your old dipoles away.

V

vpm47

Audiophyte
Your last sentence is exactly why I have posted the question. With only an 8' high ceiling and surround speakers that are both direct radiating and dipole, you would be surprised to hear that sounds are pinpointed and do not always sound like they are coming from above. For example: As a helicopter of plane passes from front to back, the sound progression is seamless, but if I want to hear the sound of the aircraft hovering directly overhead of my seating position, how can I achieve it with the system I have now. There will be many people like myself who have invested thousands of dollars on their surround system, and have designed their room in such a way where it is impractical to alter the original design. Also, my existing speakers are only 3 years old, which make them relatively new.

A practical solution for many people will be to have Dolby Atmos controlled strictly through the electronics whereby they can employ any compatible passive speaker either ceiling mounted or firing up towards the ceiling. The initial crop of Dolby Atmos enabled speakers are nowhere near the class of speakers that I have in my system. I could see adding some Paradigm Studio/Reference satellite speakers angled up at the ceiling for my specific case.

selden

selden

Audioholic
Since your existing surrounds are so high, you might want to consider designating them as overhead speakers (perhaps Top Middle and Rear Height) and getting new ear-level surround speakers. Unfortunately, in many cases, especially those like yours, Atmos has to be considered a "disruptive technology". If you want to optimize the results for Atmos soundtracks or for use with the new Dolby Surround upmixer, you have to reconsider your speaker layout.

V

vpm47

Audiophyte
Thank you Selden. The only way I can pull this off is if the side and rear surround speakers are wireless. Otherwise Dolby Atmos cannot be implemented in my room. Running of new speaker wire for ear level side and/or rear surround speakers is just not feasible.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Your last sentence is exactly why I have posted the question. With only an 8' high ceiling and surround speakers that are both direct radiating and dipole, you would be surprised to hear that sounds are pinpointed and do not always sound like they are coming from above. For example: As a helicopter of plane passes from front to back, the sound progression is seamless, but if I want to hear the sound of the aircraft hovering directly overhead of my seating position, how can I achieve it with the system I have now. There will be many people like myself who have invested thousands of dollars on their surround system, and have designed their room in such a way where it is impractical to alter the original design. Also, my existing speakers are only 3 years old, which make them relatively new.

A practical solution for many people will be to have Dolby Atmos controlled strictly through the electronics whereby they can employ any compatible passive speaker either ceiling mounted or firing up towards the ceiling. The initial crop of Dolby Atmos enabled speakers are nowhere near the class of speakers that I have in my system. I could see adding some Paradigm Studio/Reference satellite speakers angled up at the ceiling for my specific case.

Agreed and I've been testing Atmos enabled speakers on an Atmos system and the Atmos speakers were really the limiting factor. They simply didn't match the tonality of dynamics of the rest of the speakers in my system. Also the elevation effect evaporates if your too far away from an Atmos module or too close to one too. My advice is to put more effort in proper placement of your 7.1 speaker layout and perhaps adding a 2nd sub if you don't have one already.

The only legit way to add Atmos IMO is through discrete ceiling mounted speakers. Bouncing sound in an upscale theater install is a compromise that most people concerned with quality sound won't be too inclined to make.

selden

selden

Audioholic
Thank you Selden. The only way I can pull this off is if the side and rear surround speakers are wireless. Otherwise Dolby Atmos cannot be implemented in my room. Running of new speaker wire for ear level side and/or rear surround speakers is just not feasible.
Bear in mind that wireless speakers are not cable-less. You still need to get power to them.

In some cases cable molding or raceways can help hide ugly cables. Some people have installed special crown or baseboard molding which includes cable raceways.

Sometimes "perfect" is the enemy of "good enough". The addition of Dolby Atmos Enabled reflecting speakers in the front might be acceptable in your room. You can't know for sure unless you give them a try.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis