Dolby Atmos: Are 2 Height Speakers Sufficient?

S

SoundSolace

Audiophyte
I'm thinking about doing a 5.1.2 system with 2 height speakers in the ceiling. Will that give me a decent Atmos experience or do you really need 4+ speakers? I plan on doing the in-ceiling as opposed to the upward facing. I figure setting up for Atmos 5.1.2 would be a better option than going 7.1.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I'm thinking about doing a 5.1.2 system with 2 height speakers in the ceiling. Will that give me a decent Atmos experience or do you really need 4+ speakers? I plan on doing the in-ceiling as opposed to the upward facing. I figure setting up for Atmos 5.1.2 would be a better option than going 7.1.
Depends on Room Size. If you are dealing with a smaller room then 5.1.2 isn't going to sound much different than 5.1.4. My HT room size right now is 22x19 and I run 5.1.4.

I would also strongly encourage ceiling speakers vs. upward facing. Your ceiling height is also an important consideration

S

SoundSolace

Audiophyte
It's a pretty large room (24 x 18) but I just bought an Onkyo 646 receiver that can only do up to 5.1.2 so I was hoping that would still give me a decent Atmos experience. What do you think? I'm definitely going to do in ceiling. Thanks.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis