Does your RX-V4600 run hot

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
mtrycrafts said:
gene said:
In addition, as you add more speakers to the room, the overall SPL goes up (about 3dB for each added speaker)
gene said:
It would if you double the speaker size or double the power into one speaker. But you are doubling power AND doubling the speaker area being driven, so, the total is 6dB spl ;)

The speakers are not playing the same content, so normal gain characteristics do not apply here.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
mtrycrafts said:
If an amp is rated at 110x7 then it should put out 110 into all the channels all the time.

Why??? That is not what is stated. Only that each channels will deliver 110
watts.

2 chan amps have always been rated correctly.

2ch amps have been rated both channels driven, or 1 ch driven.
So when people buy a receiver they are really buying 7 monoblocks. That's great, I never thought about it like that. 7 monoblocks that you can't use together, that is worth a lot.

Normaly 2 ch amps are rated Watts/Chan, both chan driven.

mtrycrafts said:
Do amps need to put out full power at full bandwidth? Absolutely. Today’s movies are extremely dynamic and need adequate power to play them back.

Yes, dynamic, meaning quick peaks here and there, not full spectrum peaks. But, amps are rated 20-20khz, unless otherwise specified.
There are dynamic peaks that essentially look like CW to an amplifier (anything longer than 100 ms)

It is false advertising. Multi channel tests are of value.

Maybe.

mtrycrafts said:
These tests give you a good idea of how much dynamic range your amp actually has.

BS. Dynamic headroom is usually given.
I'd bet that measurement is as accurate as some of the other specs Mfg's give.

mtrycrafts said:
There are plenty of instances where you are playing the front 3 channels at close to full power;

Put some scopes on all three channels and superimpose them.
First off no one uses scopes anymore. It's called a digitizer. Second, what good would that do? The amount of current drawn is frequency dependent, so you would have to have a Z curve of the speakers, take your voltage measurements, perform an FFT, then divide out the Z curve, then you can integrate the waveform and figure out how many watts were output. ( I did skip a few steps here).

mtrycrafts said:
So in the Yamaha’s case, it is pathetic.

An opinion.

This is why separates are a much better option.

Another opinion.
Good ones, based on fact.

QUOTE=mtrycrafts] They give you more even if they are plugged into the same outlet.

Then why do you have 5 circuits?[/QUOTE]

Meaning more than a receiver ever could.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The speakers are not playing the same content, so normal gain characteristics do not apply here.
Uncorrelated audio still sums as SQRT(A1^2 + B1^2 + ...n1^2). Thus 2 audio sources playing unrelated program material should still raise SPL output levels 1.5dB or so.

W

Wrk_hrd2Play_hr

Audioholic Intern
So what happened to the original discussion about whether the 4600 runs hot???

mtrycrafts do you have to ruin every freakin thread with your BS??

On an earlier thread I asked a simple question about whether my setup would benefit from an Anthem power amp....of course you had to turn it into an 8 pages pissing contest with Mulester.

Moderators at what point are you all going to intervene so this guy doesn't dilute the content of every freakin thread with his biases??

D

Dan Banquer

Full Audioholic
Receiver Power and Speakers

"I think it could play a role if you are using some extremely insensitive, low resistance speakers in a 7 channel setup. But at that point, you probalby have the cash to afford a nice multi-channel separate amp to drive them. "

I'm joining this thread a bit late but I think some folks need to understand a few things about receivers and loudspeakers.
Mid level receivers are not really designed for runnning inefficent loads. They lack the overall power to do so. So if you are running 86db/spl speakers then you are going to require more power. However: Please note that most of the Home Theater speakers out there are 90db/spl or better with very resistive crossovers so as not give the amplifier too much reactive load. They are deliberately designed this way because the loudspeaker manufacturers under stand the limits of mid level receivers.
The second issue is heat and the receiver. In a previous thread a few months ago someone was complaining about power in "frat party mode" when the real problem appeared to be heat not receiver power.
Receivers will need to be kept cool if you are going to be running them hot and heavy so to speak. If fan cooling is not an option than you may need to consider some of the switching amplifers which typically run much cooler, or ensure that the receiver is not an enclosed space where the heat has no place to go and builds up.
I suspect that heat may be the issue here and better cooling may solve the problem.
d.b.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
gene said:
Uncorrelated audio still sums as SQRT(A1^2 + B1^2 + ...n1^2). Thus 2 audio sources playing unrelated program material should still raise SPL output levels 1.5dB or so.
Thats a lot different than the 3db you stated earlier.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis