Does your RX-V4600 run hot

ht_addict

ht_addict

Audioholic
For all that own the 4600 do you find that it runs hot? Do you have the fan set too always on? I just picked up a new unit on Tuesday, setup is located in the basement and the unit sits on the top shelf of my audio rack. So the unit is open too plenty off air flow.

N

newfmp3

Audioholic
I've posted this before. Yes, without the fan, and with a good load on it, it runs warm right smack in the middle on top of the unit. The rest of the unit is cool to the touch.

I run the fan all the time and it is much better. Fan is not really loud anyways. MAybe just a tad warmer then the NAD did on the same load and volume. Keep in mind the NAD 773 has 5 mini fans on all the time as well. I also have mine on top of a unit, and plenty of air around it...several feet in every direction actually.

This is one area where the NAD should excel over the yamaha every single time. Just higher quality fans, heat sinks, PS etc.

ht_addict

ht_addict

Audioholic
Well the Yamaha went back. Just didn't like the sound off it with my speakers. Ended up breaking the bank on a Denon 4806 and all I can say is WoW :eek: The is a beast off a machine with sound that'll make you smile :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
ht_addict said:
Well the Yamaha went back. Just didn't like the sound off it with my speakers. Ended up breaking the bank on a Denon 4806 and all I can say is WoW :eek: The is a beast off a machine with sound that'll make you smile :D

Well, if you are happy, everyone is happy :D

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
mtrycrafts said:
Well, if you are happy, everyone is happy :D

Wait a second. The Denon is 130 wpc at .05 THD. The Yamaha is 130 wpc at .04 THD. That's indistinguishable, right? What's going on here???

Marty has been put in his place once again.

Hmmmmm.

N

newfmp3

Audioholic
the denon is nice. What did you end up paying for it in Canada?

Are you keeping the NAD?

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
ht_addict said:
Well the Yamaha went back. Just didn't like the sound off it with my speakers.
Could you elaborate on what you disliked about the way the Yamaha sounded with your speakers? Just curious, since I'm considering getting this unit down the road.

N

newfmp3

Audioholic
if he had a 773 and liked it, I am not surprised the 4600 didnt' suit him. Different sounding amp all together. Granted, play with the eq enough and you can make the 4600 sound just like the nad or darn close.

He's better off with the Denon anyways.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

hopjohn said:
Could you elaborate on what you disliked about the way the Yamaha sounded with your speakers? Just curious, since I'm considering getting this unit down the road.

Nothing wrong with its sound but he, being biased prefers the other one. :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

newfmp3 said:
I am not surprised the 4600 didnt' suit him. Different sounding amp all together. .

Well, that can be tested properly, right? Or, ones imagination can be used instead. Some like to imagine, others like to know.

ht_addict

ht_addict

Audioholic
hopjohn said:
Couple off things that I disliked about the Yamaha:

1. On the sound side, the 4600 just sounded too bright. Bass wasn't as dominating as my NAD. Even out off the box the bass on the 4806 is better

2. Runs warm and I mean WARM, especially if the fan is set too auto. Set the fan to always on and it runs cooler, but unless your unit is behind glass you will hear the fan during quiet sequences. I did.

3. Remote control sucks. The remote that came with the RX-V1400 was nicer.

4. Power ratings not good especially in 5ch mode. In a real world situation you shouldn't hit this limit while watching a movie, though if your into DVD-A, SACD you may. Especially at if the volumes cranked. As a pre/pro matched with a good 3channel amp, it would give you an excellent setup. Though a 4806 would come in at roughly the same price as the combo.

Now we're talking about 2 totally different price points. The 4806 is definetly in a different league from the Yamaha. Wait for the Yamaha 2600 too come out. Feature set is better and price cheaper.

ht_addict

ht_addict

Audioholic
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Wait a second. The Denon is 130 wpc at .05 THD. The Yamaha is 130 wpc at .04 THD. That's indistinguishable, right? What's going on here???

Marty has been put in his place once again.

Hmmmmm.
Yamaha will only do that in 2ch. Denon has a better chance of making its spec rating.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

ht_addict said:
Yamaha will only do that in 2ch. Denon has a better chance of making its spec rating.

What is the Denon spec rating? The Yam?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
mtrycrafts said:
What is the Denon spec rating? The Yam?
Yamaha RXV4600

Minimum RMS Output Power (8 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 0.04% THD)
Front Channels 130W +130W
Center Channels 130W
Surround Channels 130W +130W
Surround Back Channels 130W +130W
High Dynamic Power, Low Impedance Drive Capability Yes
Dynamic Power/Channel 8 ohms 165 W
6 ohms 205 W
4 ohms 260 W
2 ohms 340 W
Linear Damping Yes
Damping Factor (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20kHz) 140 (speaker A)

Input Sensitivity/ Impedance Phono (MM) 3.5 mV/47 k-ohms
CD 200 mV/47 k-ohms

Denon 4806

140 watts per channel, all channels driven, 20-20,000, 8 ohms, .05 THD
For more details, click here:
http://www.usa.denon.com/AVR4806_E3_productsheet.pdf

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
Sounds like most of the reasons you dislike it would not be a problem in my situation. My intention was to use either the 4600 or the 2600, as you mentioned, as a pre/pro. Thus, the fan would likely be left on auto in my setup, and power would be a non-issue. Also I would be using my universal remote in place of the factory remote. Thanks for the follow-up.

ht_addict

ht_addict

Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
I looked but cannot find the 'all channel' driven rating. Would you guide me to it, please?
Thanks.

Would have too wait for someone to review the unit and publish the numbers. The Yamaha has been published at 38.3w 5ch driven.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
ht_addict said:
Would have too wait for someone to review the unit and publish the numbers. The Yamaha has been published at 38.3w 5ch driven.
Here's some published specs on older Denon units. The 4800 series was a monster, beating out the 5700/5800/5803 series in tests. If the 4806 is anything like it's ancestor, it's also a beast. Also check out the specs on the PIONEER Elite VSX-D49TX :eek: . (scroll to the right, the tests are in yellow)

STEREO REVIEW'S / SOUND & VISION TEST REPORTS

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Hollow/3401/ratevsac.htm

N

newfmp3

Audioholic
I will agree with a couple of things.

the Yamaha was brighter, which is what I wanted.

The Remote sucks. Cheap, confusing, bad lighting, crap button layout.

I have no doubt the Denon should be better with all channels. Very nice receiver.

I won't agree with the lack of bass comment though. Out of the box, yes, it had less then the NAD, much less. But if you know how to use the eq it has more potential then you first might think. It took me days too find the sweet spot and doing a back to back with the NAD so I wouldn't "think" I was hearing different. I now do not always need the sub for music, whereas with the NAd it was a must.

That being said, I have different speakers. Then again, the M80's sound quite comparable to the studio's.

Bottom line, obviously he is better with the Denon.

I'm not sure I will keep the Yamaha forever. But right now, in it's price range, I can't find anything that suits MY EAR better. But, I still want to try some Rotel stuff.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis