Does The Theater Enhance The Market Value of The HOME?

Jaycan

Jaycan

Audioholic
Just thought I'd investigate before taking the plunge. Do you think you can recover the cost of a well built home theater when you sell the house (sans your fav gear, of course). Anyone ever been in this position before? It would seem to me that a well designed HT should make your property more marketable. Heck, The same thing that drained you account can be financed over 30 years by the new owners!!

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
Doubtful. It might even hamper resale value depending on how much a room was modified. A one mans pleasure is another mans poison....so to speak. If you had a room taylored to your specific equipment, how would you know if anyone else would want the same hardware?

Mort

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'd sell the gear with the house (really the only way the new owners would be able to use a room), then use the proceeds to buy better stuff! :)

W

Westrock2000

Junior Audioholic
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
I'd sell the gear with the house (really the only way the new owners would be able to use a room), then use the proceeds to buy better stuff! :)

Ya, thats really the best thing to do. I mean who wants a crazy room, that can't be crazy :confused:

Unless of course you have like $10,000 speakers, then you may just want to buy some second hand floorstanders or something to leave behind.

However if the next family has is into it, then it may well very be a huge selling point, I'm sure half this forum would have to be dragged out by our ears by our wives if we went to a house with a dedicated theater....even if the rest of the house was falling apart.

Most important part is...make sure its advertised when and if you sell the home, that way no one is surprised and you can target your audience.

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
If the house had ample other rooms it would enhance it. If it was built with a "bonus room" & said room was was big enough for an effective home theatre I know a lot of people who would love it. Lets face it. Who DOESN"T watch TV & movies? Most people I know,while they may not have a primo sound system,have a big screen TV. I got a buddy that's just dyin to turn his 3rd bdrm into a "sports bar". It's not big enough for anything serious but he's going to put a plasma on the wall & build from there.

I'd have to pipe in and say that I've met so many clueless people out there that its a crap-shoot. You have a good chance of selling the home to people who could (unfortunately) care less.

My recommendation and thoughts would be to strike up the HT room deal as a separate addition. I.e. you have the basic sale price - and then the price with the gear in the room (else you take it all with you.)

Even if they dont appreciate home thetaer they might dig having a room that can impress their freinds (ego) and one that's already done.

W

Westrock2000

Junior Audioholic
hawke said:
Even if they dont appreciate home thetaer they might dig having a room that can impress their freinds (ego) and one that's already done.
You know I was gonna say this, but thought I'd sound like a jerk or something. But definently true.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Might Help

A Theater might help in the sale, but add little to adding to the value of the home.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis