Does the Pioneer 1014 up-convert to component video?

N

NetGeek

Junior Audioholic
I just bought a Pioneer 1014 Receiver and am running all of my video through it. I took the Component video out from my Receiver to my HDTV's Component video in, but any video I play connected to the Receiver with composite or S-Video is not displayed.

When I hooked the S-Video out from my receiver to my HDTV both composite and S-video devices showed up. My DVD player is hooked up directly to the HDTV through its HDMI port so I do not have a single Component device plugged into my Receiver to test.

I am thinking that the Pioneer 1014 Receiver will only up-convert to S-Video. Although it has a component video out, perhaps only devices pluged into the Receiver with component connections use the Receivers component out?

Does anyone have a 1014 and know if this is true? Pioneer does not have this model listed on their website and I have not been able to get a straight answer from the owners manual. My "digital" cable box only has composite connections and I really wanted to have Component video up-conversion for this device. I might exchange this Receiver for the Yamaha HTR-5790 which I know has Component up-conversion.

Much thanks!

SilverMK3

SilverMK3

Audioholic
My Pioneer VSX-D814-S isn't able to take composite or S-video and pass it through the component outputs, unfortunately. And I don't think the 1014TX can do it either.

The receiver is still listed on the Pioneer Canada website: http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/pna/product/detail/0,,32171715_32252771_149245049,00.html

You can download still download the manual here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-to-external-url/ref=mt_mo_view_43113/104-0094896-7196719?path=http://media-server.amazon.com/exec/drm/digital/moleproxy.cgi?name=UGlvbmVlciBWU1gtMTAxNFRYLUsgNzEgQ2hhbm5lbCBIb21lIFRoZWF0ZXIgTWFudWFs&file=TUFOVUFMMDAwMDU4NjU3LnBkZg==&append-uid=no

B

BuddTX

Audioholic
I own the Pioneer VSX-1014 and have Component output to my HDTV, and I have done S-video, Component, and RCA through the Receiver to the TV via the Component output, no problem.

I really like my 1014!

N

NetGeek

Junior Audioholic
It Should Up-Convert

Thanks for the replies guys.

I read over my owners manual again and it does say that it up-converts to component. In fact, if you have any input device pluged into the receiver using component video connections you MUST connect the component out to your TV.

Another problem I have been having is that it will not "auto-detect" the surround format on my cable. I do not think it is because of the 1014, I have Charter Cable and their equipment (and services) really suck! The so-called "digital" box that I rent from them only has composite outs on it. It has the Dolby logo but without a digital out (optical or cable) you cannot get Dolby Digital correct? I have the receiver set in ProLogic II and that forces some kind of a 5.1 but it's not Dolby Digital. Going with VOOM, have my install scheduled for Monday.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
NetGeek said:
Another problem I have been having is that it will not "auto-detect" the surround format on my cable. I do not think it is because of the 1014, I have Charter Cable and their equipment (and services) really suck! The so-called "digital" box that I rent from them only has composite outs on it. It has the Dolby logo but without a digital out (optical or cable) you cannot get Dolby Digital correct? I have the receiver set in ProLogic II and that forces some kind of a 5.1 but it's not Dolby Digital. Going with VOOM, have my install scheduled for Monday.
The box itself has a DD decoder so it will decode DD 5.1 to 2 channel analog and that is what you are sending to the receiver. PLII can take that 2 channel analog and turn it into 5.1, but it's not the same as sending the bitstream straight to the receiver (using optical or coax digital out) and letting the receiver do the decoding.

Sounds like Charter is just like Comcast in FL. They think that because the signal gets to the box in digital format that is all that is necessary. They didn't seem to understand that the fact that you can't get it OUT of the box digitally is a problem for those with real DD receivers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis