Does anyone know if I could buy a single sub with a 3 phase voice coil ?

M

mp3streetparty

Audioholic Intern
Winter is coming soon and I would like to buy a sub with 3 separate voice coils and roughly 120 degrees apart on the coil former or maybe some other arrangement I can adjust the phase's in my program.

I am working on a 3 phase Digital to Analog converter(nearly finished) to connect to 3 audio amps and drive 1 sub.

Just wanted to see if the bass is tighter or different with class b outputs.

Any comments welcome for/against etc.

Thanks in Advance.
31 JAN 2013 11:13 AM

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Wouldn't uneven pull yank the coil to the side?

M

mp3streetparty

Audioholic Intern
2 Phase speaker

I think you would want all your voice coils in phase.
The input signals would have to be not 120 degrees apart (like 3 phase power) to get an output more like 22 degrees apart.

My thinking is as 1 coil runs out of magnetic flux in the gap the other one still has plenty to push/pull the speaker cone movement at either end.

On the crossover point of a cheap class b amp. I'm not sure if this 2 phase setup makes any difference because the distortion maybe halve but it is there twice in the cycle. What difference it makes I cant tell yet with my setup.

I have only a triple 4 bit D to A converter at the moment so I am only looking at bass frequency's and one of my amp refuses to drive the simulated load of a single coil speaker (sub) wired with resistors so I have done 2 phase tests so far.

Here is a pic of the Audio side also there is 3 computers in the setup as well. Had to wire 3 PC power supplies up as well to get more current.

Sent a few emails to speaker repairer's and it seems a 3 phase voice coil will cost a real lot so Im looking a 2 phase at the moment eg a speaker with 4 layer coil.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The input signals would have to be not 120 degrees apart (like 3 phase power) to get an output more like 22 degrees apart.

My thinking is as 1 coil runs out of magnetic flux in the gap the other one still has plenty to push/pull the speaker cone movement at either end.

On the crossover point of a cheap class b amp. I'm not sure if this 2 phase setup makes any difference because the distortion maybe halve but it is there twice in the cycle. What difference it makes I cant tell yet with my setup.

I have only a triple 4 bit D to A converter at the moment so I am only looking at bass frequency's and one of my amp refuses to drive the simulated load of a single coil speaker (sub) wired with resistors so I have done 2 phase tests so far.

Here is a pic of the Audio side also there is 3 computers in the setup as well. Had to wire 3 PC power supplies up as well to get more current.

Sent a few emails to speaker repairer's and it seems a 3 phase voice coil will cost a real lot so Im looking a 2 phase at the moment eg a speaker with 4 layer coil.
This project of yours makes no sense. The voice coils are not spaced by angles and the voice coils need to be in phase. If they are not, then they will be fighting each other and causing excess heating.

This is not like a 3 phase motor or generator, where there is circular motion, and you want to even out the torque, to reduce vibration and bearing ware and stress. Loudspeakers have pistonic motion, and the whole point is vibration. I only see downsides to your plan and no upsides.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis