Does anyone here wear headphones when they can't use speakers? If so, what kind?

L

landonspop

Audioholic
I am looking for the perfect set of headphones. I have heard that 1 headphone is not good for movies and music. Muddy bass is required for movies and clean tight bass for music.

Main Usage:
Movies, when wife and child sleep and I want a little more volume
Music, while wife sits near watching "The Bachelor" and likes.

Budget under $400.00

Last edited:
J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
If I can't listen through speakers, I don't listen at all. I hate wearing headphones.

Taifun

Taifun

Junior Audioholic
Akg

http://www.akg.com/personal/powerslave,id,1,nodeid,1,_language,EN.html

I have the K271S and love them for movies and music. They are a sealed set so the bass is fairly punchy.

I also have the K701 and love them for music, movies aren't bad but its an open design so people will hear what you are listening to if they are close by.

Also consider looking at Beyerdynamic as well. The DT770 is pretty darned nice as well as the DT880.

If you can listen to them first that is highly recommended. Several online companies offer fairly liberal return policies if you are unable to get out and listen to them.

Headroom: http://www.headphone.com

HTH

F

footman

Junior Audioholic
I have used three grado products, 60,80 and currently the 225. They are used for listening to mp3 players while walking and late night tv viewing. I am quite happy with their performance. They range in price from 80.00 to 200.00 dollars.

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
I use Sennheiser HD 212 Pro headphones and I don’t get tired of listening to them. They are the lowest price $59.99 sealed headphones that Headroom rates as a best value. You want sealed headphones for your situation as they provide greatest isolation from the surroundings and keep music from getting out equally well. Noise canceling headphones are not needed and they cost a lot more with less sound quality.. The HD 212 Pros emphasize bass a little, which I like.. They don’t need a headphone amplifier and will run off of portable players. They have a big selection of headphones there with a review on each one. You can spend a lot more than these cost if you want to but I think they sound fine to me.

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-manufacturer/sennheiser/sennheiser-hd-212-pro.php

http://www.headphone.com/

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Also see www.headfi.org

I like the sound of the Grados but I didn't find the 80s or 60s to be comfortable for long sessions.

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
I wear headphones all the time even though I've got [crappy] speakers.

As for the 2 headphones thing I think that you can get by easily enough with the headphones with the clean & tight base and that will be perfectly fine. I don't see any logic as to why you'd want "cruddy" bass for movies :)

What I would recommend is get a set that sounds decent but perhaps more important is that they're comfortable for 2-3 hours at a time. If possible shop around some B&M stores and demo what you can and go from there.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
I will add a vote for AKG as well. I used a set while the kids were growing up. I gave them away a couple years back as I no longer have a need to keep it quiet with the den being my music room. I will vouch for their reliability although not the most comfortable in the world.

L

landonspop

Audioholic
I bought the Senns 595s and loved them, but they leaked sound so now I must return them. They were only $185.00 and I was impressed. Bass was tight so not a lot of boom for explosions though. Music was nice and clear. I heard instruments that I had not heard previously through speakers.

Last edited:
L

landonspop

Audioholic
I I don't see any logic as to why you'd want "cruddy" bass for movies :)
I said muddy not cruddy. HaHa:)

I have heard the term muddy, which to me means boomier and mushier as apposed to tight and clear. I assume this gives better sound effects for such things and planes and explosions.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i've been using headphones on my PC a lot lately (baby in the same room). Sennheiser HD555 for me.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I know Andrew has put some research in and found a pretty good set for under 200 bucks.

Chime in here and remind me what they are (not the modded ones)

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Sony MDR-7506 or the Sony MDR-V6 (essientially the same set of headphones) are both extremely linear headphones that are good for music and have good "tight" bass response. These are sealed headphones and very capable of blocking out much sound. If you want a good relatively inexpensive pair of headphones (under $100) these are a great pair to look at especially since they are easily powered by a iPod or other MP3 player. There is no other headphone in the price range that I am aware of that can compare in both build quality and sound quality.

If you are up for doing a slight modification and are going to be a in quite environment for your headphone listening the link Alex offered earlier is the perfect pair of headphones with the slight modification detailed. For further detail on the subject please read the review Alex linked.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Music, while wife sits near watching "The Bachelor" and likes.

If you're going to be sitting near someone while they watch TV, you'll probably want sealed (vs. open) headphones, to block the TV coming in and to keep the treble portion of your listening from irritating the wife.

You can get some really great sounding open headphones for not much money (the lower end Grados, for example), but sealed is a little trickier. The Sennheiser HD280s are a very popular choice for a decent sounding set of sealed phones that block sound very well and don't cost an exorbitant amount. I like both my Grado SR60s (only $69!) and my Senn HD280s, under different conditions.

If you're willing to go up to $400, you have a lot more options, but I haven't explored that price range. Yet.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I've been using headphones exclusively on my PC lately. I finally decided I was tired of listening to things through my cheap Logitech Z-640 speakers. I have a pair of AKG k240S phones and I love them. I drive them with a small Behringer mixer. They work great for music and games.

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
Sony MDR-7506 or the Sony MDR-V6 (essientially the same set of headphones) are both extremely linear headphones that are good for music and have good "tight" bass response. These are sealed headphones and very capable of blocking out much sound. If you want a good relatively inexpensive pair of headphones (under $100) these are a great pair to look at especially since they are easily powered by a iPod or other MP3 player. There is no other headphone in the price range that I am aware of that can compare in both build quality and sound quality.

If you are up for doing a slight modification and are going to be a in quite environment for your headphone listening the link Alex offered earlier is the perfect pair of headphones with the slight modification detailed. For further detail on the subject please read the review Alex linked.
From what I've read, it's unwise to consider the MDR-V6 even though it is similarly priced to the MDR-7506. If you are considering one of those two headphones, go with the latter.

M

mudrummer99

Senior Audioholic
I have 2 pairs of headphones I use regularly. The first pair, and the one I use most, is a pair of Shure SE530's. These are in-ear models but are surprisingly easy to wear for hours at a time (at least for me). My other pair, I already know what's going to be said, are a pair of Bose Tri-ports. For the price I paid for them, as a BB employee, was actually VERY reasonable. I wear these when I'm sitting at my computer and need to turn off my main speakers. I find the Shures to be very satisfactory for my critical listening (I will be the first to admit I do not have golden ears) when I can't use my main speakers. The Bose are alright for what I use them for, sound from video games mainly. I don't listen to music through them at all, nor can I remember if I ever have at that. Hope this helps.

Mike

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis