Does a piece of GEAR like this exist??

G

Gatsby191

Audioholic
Hello all!:
I had submitted an inquiry similar to this before, but the few responses that I did get, made it obvious that I wasn't specific enough on what I needed. So here I go again. TAKE 2: I had used to frequent the local Bowling alley pub, during my 1 year stint as an unemployed individual.(almost 20 years ago). There was a video jukebox in that pub, with a 60 inch screen over it, and I swore that I'd have one of my own one day! That AWESOME little machine, really got me STOAKED! Well flash foward to good old 2008, and it seems anything (almost) is possible today. I am trying to find a piece of gear, that can store and play, both music(from my cds or the internet) and music videos. I also need this piece of gear to have a port for internet connection, so I can search and import songs or music videos that aren't on the players list yet. I want this piece of gear to be able to be connected to my Onkyo 875 AVR through one of it's hdmi imputs(or component). I have a great Rack enclosure, and I really want this piece of gear to appear as another piece of gear in my enclosure, rather than having to go with a HTPC that will require a whole different plan of attack altogether. I have seen, on numerous ocassions, touch screen jukeboxes that let you scroll through the alphabet, and see all the different artists that are on that jukebox, along with the artwork for each album that the particular songs are on, and these jukeboxes allow you to use a typing pad on the touchscreen, if you want to search for a song that isn't on there. In this case, it will charge you an extra 50 cents or so to permanently download the new song to the jukebox, and then listen to it. I want to get a residential piece of gear that will allow me to do this with songs, and music videos too, so I can constantly update my library while having this piece of gear sit nicely inside my rack enclosure. Any suggestions besides the HTPC route?
Thanks all! Joe B. :)

G

Gatsby191

Audioholic
Thanks alot Greg! Only problem with your first reply is, I don't have 14K to drop on that big bad boy! But, that jukebox is the same one I had used many times before. Great machine! Now it's on to your next suggestion. Thanks again! Joe B.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I am uncertaim exactly what you are looking for and how much you are willing to pay.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Hello all!:
I had submitted an inquiry similar to this before, but the few responses that I did get, made it obvious that I wasn't specific enough on what I needed. So here I go again. TAKE 2: I had used to frequent the local Bowling alley pub, during my 1 year stint as an unemployed individual.(almost 20 years ago). There was a video jukebox in that pub, with a 60 inch screen over it, and I swore that I'd have one of my own one day! That AWESOME little machine, really got me STOAKED! Well flash foward to good old 2008, and it seems anything (almost) is possible today. I am trying to find a piece of gear, that can store and play, both music(from my cds or the internet) and music videos. I also need this piece of gear to have a port for internet connection, so I can search and import songs or music videos that aren't on the players list yet. I want this piece of gear to be able to be connected to my Onkyo 875 AVR through one of it's hdmi imputs(or component). I have a great Rack enclosure, and I really want this piece of gear to appear as another piece of gear in my enclosure, rather than having to go with a HTPC that will require a whole different plan of attack altogether. I have seen, on numerous ocassions, touch screen jukeboxes that let you scroll through the alphabet, and see all the different artists that are on that jukebox, along with the artwork for each album that the particular songs are on, and these jukeboxes allow you to use a typing pad on the touchscreen, if you want to search for a song that isn't on there. In this case, it will charge you an extra 50 cents or so to permanently download the new song to the jukebox, and then listen to it. I want to get a residential piece of gear that will allow me to do this with songs, and music videos too, so I can constantly update my library while having this piece of gear sit nicely inside my rack enclosure. Any suggestions besides the HTPC route?
Thanks all! Joe B. :)
Well if you want to do it yourself.....what you want can really only be had in a custom built PC. What most people don't realize is that all of the gadgets that we use like this are custom built computers with either finely tuned versions of Linux or some other proprietary operating system.

I would bet you that most if not all the video jukeboxes in your local pubs run some flavor of Linux. Most set top boxes run Linux, like Tivo's for example.

So I would look around a bit. If you don't want a HTPC, and you have a rack, you can throw a PC together and stick it in there. I will look around and see if there are any open source projects for this (which I'm sure there are) and get back to you.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Apple TV

Gatsby,
Check out the Apple TV for Music + Videos + Photo downloads and streaming. It is easy to use and costs <$300. You will have some funds left for that 60" LCD or a front projector.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Those are nice. But if you are doing anything HD they don't have enough power to pull it off.

G

Gatsby191

Audioholic
Gatsby,
Check out the Apple TV for Music + Videos + Photo downloads and streaming. It is easy to use and costs <$300. You will have some funds left for that 60" LCD or a front projector.

I already have a 63 inch plasma in my HT, and I can't wait to add something like that to it!! Thanks!! :D

G

Gatsby191

Audioholic
Well if you want to do it yourself.....what you want can really only be had in a custom built PC. What most people don't realize is that all of the gadgets that we use like this are custom built computers with either finely tuned versions of Linux or some other proprietary operating system.

I would bet you that most if not all the video jukeboxes in your local pubs run some flavor of Linux. Most set top boxes run Linux, like Tivo's for example.

So I would look around a bit. If you don't want a HTPC, and you have a rack, you can throw a PC together and stick it in there. I will look around and see if there are any open source projects for this (which I'm sure there are) and get back to you.

Can't wait to see what you find! :D Thanks! JB

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Well I found this.

But that seems to be on the cutting edge.....I will continue looking for a more cohesive project.

I am REALLY busy this week and traveling a lot. I'm sure there is a project out there! I will get back in the next few days.

ADK

C

Cthulhu

Audioholic Intern
Couldn't you just get a PC, the music/video player of your choice - like winamp - queue up as many videos as you want in a playlist then turn on shuffle?

Should do exactly what you want - winamps queue next song function will allow you to tee up a bunch of songs jukebox style no problem.

G

Gatsby191

Audioholic
Couldn't you just get a PC, the music/video player of your choice - like winamp - queue up as many videos as you want in a playlist then turn on shuffle?

Should do exactly what you want - winamps queue next song function will allow you to tee up a bunch of songs jukebox style no problem.
I was looking to stay away from a HTPC(as I had mentioned earlier). I JUST wanted(as if this is JUST a piece of ordinary gear that I am looking for) to have a piece of gear in my rack enclosure(that wouldn't take up anymore than 3 u's or so) that would provide a way for me to have my current music collection on it(all of my CDs downloaded to it), along with a feature that would always let me search and store to memory, any other music I wanted, and hopefully be able to view the artwork for all the different albums that these songs came off of, just like those touch screen searchable jukeboxes let you do now-a-days. All of that, and the ability to search for and store Music videos on it too. The reason I wanted to stay away from a HTPC, was because I need something that can be connected to MY AVR, either through HDMI connection, or component connection. This way I could fire up my system and turn on this wonderful piece of imaginary gear, and search for a song in it's memory (viewing it on my plasma) or search for a new song on the internet , and also be able to do the same thing with music videos. And, I didn't think a HTPC could come in such a form. Can this be done?, or even better yet, can this be HAD??
Thanks for the replies so far!! Joe B. :D

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
I was looking to stay away from a HTPC(as I had mentioned earlier). I JUST wanted(as if this is JUST a piece of ordinary gear that I am looking for) to have a piece of gear in my rack enclosure(that wouldn't take up anymore than 3 u's or so) that would provide a way for me to have my current music collection on it(all of my CDs downloaded to it), along with a feature that would always let me search and store to memory, any other music I wanted, and hopefully be able to view the artwork for all the different albums that these songs came off of, just like those touch screen searchable jukeboxes let you do now-a-days. All of that, and the ability to search for and store Music videos on it too. The reason I wanted to stay away from a HTPC, was because I need something that can be connected to MY AVR, either through HDMI connection, or component connection. This way I could fire up my system and turn on this wonderful piece of imaginary gear, and search for a song in it's memory (viewing it on my plasma) or search for a new song on the internet , and also be able to do the same thing with music videos. And, I didn't think a HTPC could come in such a form. Can this be done?, or even better yet, can this be HAD??

Kind of like was said earlier, all of these machines for all intensive purposes are a customized PC. Sure, they are actually proprietary operating systems or one of the hundreds of linux flavors. I think it would be far more practical to put together a designated PC, and find a software solution that meets your needs. Using a PC will allow you to customize it exactly the way you want and make changes as necessary. There are some decent Media Players on the market that would serve your purpose. I use NERO and am really happy with it. Its networked with my laptop and i use a remote log in to manage all my files and configure it the way i need. Most of these players will allow you to use artwork and integrate online music sources. this would be a decent starting point. You can put together a dual-boot machine, running xp with some media player and run linux as well until you get the linux side set up the way you want.

If you dont want to do it yourself, you could sub it out to a local computer and software service solutions company in your area. They would be able to come up with something for ya.

poutanen

poutanen

Full Audioholic
Why not a PS3??? I know it's not a rack mount piece of hardware, but it seems to me like it'll do everything you want it to...

- store and play a LOT of music and music videos
- has built in wireless internet, and 1000baseT (gigabit) ethernet
- will connect via HDMI if you wish (or almost any other way)
- can setup playlists, randoms, etc.

I've got my entire music collection on my PS3 now,and when my computer dies, I'll likely get a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and use the PS3 as my one and only computer/media centre/gaming system/blue ray player/dvd player/etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you replace the internal SATA drive with a much higher capacity drive? If not, I'm sure you can add a USB hard drive to it, and I'd think you can store a lot of music vids on 500 GB of storage.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Hurry up and buy the apple TV!
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/apple_tv?mco=MTE2NTk

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Why not a PS3??? I know it's not a rack mount piece of hardware, but it seems to me like it'll do everything you want it to...

- store and play a LOT of music and music videos
- has built in wireless internet, and 1000baseT (gigabit) ethernet
- will connect via HDMI if you wish (or almost any other way)
- can setup playlists, randoms, etc.

I've got my entire music collection on my PS3 now,and when my computer dies, I'll likely get a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and use the PS3 as my one and only computer/media centre/gaming system/blue ray player/dvd player/etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you replace the internal SATA drive with a much higher capacity drive? If not, I'm sure you can add a USB hard drive to it, and I'd think you can store a lot of music vids on 500 GB of storage.

This is a great idea... And yes, the HDD's are upgradeable and any usb drive formatted in Fat32 will work. NTFS formatted drives will not work

poutanen

poutanen

Full Audioholic
This is a great idea... And yes, the HDD's are upgradeable and any usb drive formatted in Fat32 will work. NTFS formatted drives will not work
The nice thing with a PS3 is, you can leave it almost anywhere in your house (if your rack is outside your HT room, etc) and control it from anywhere with the bluetooth remote. My last setup was in a 2500 sq ft 2 storey house, and I could control the PS3 from the opposite side of the house, sitting in my bedroom.

Any custom made computer will have a more clunky method of control, while the PS3 is designed to run a HT environment, it wants to default to full screen when you view a movie clip, etc. very user friendly for media centre applications.

In case anybody can't tell, I can't say enough good things about it. The only thing I don't like so far is the fan noise, so mounting it outside the HT room would be beneficial... and getting it as much airflow as possible would be beneficial.

Hope this helps,

Aaron

poutanen

poutanen

Full Audioholic
Any update? Decided on/bought anything yet? I'd be curious to see what you get, and how it works for you...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis