Do speakers sound different over time?

Pete6737

Pete6737

Enthusiast
Hello All,
I have a home theater with B&W Matrix 803's for L/R and 804's for center and surrounds...In 1997 they were pretty expensive and sounded great to me.They were the best part in the audio chain, back then..Fast forward 15 years, the invention of lossless music, a bunch of upgrades in the rack from the removal of the receiver to pre/amps combo to the Bluray players etc, suddenly I feel like the the speakers are the weakest part of the audio chain...Do speakers lose/ change their sound over time? or is it me just having heard some awesome NEW speakers just pining for something different? It just seems like they aren't doing it for me anymore...I guess that 15 years is a long time in the audio world and improvements are inevitable, I guess I'm looking for a better reason than I want new speakers, but in the end, I'll get new speakers :)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello All,
I have a home theater with B&W Matrix 803's for L/R and 804's for center and surrounds...In 1997 they were pretty expensive and sounded great to me.They were the best part in the audio chain, back then..Fast forward 15 years, the invention of lossless music, a bunch of upgrades in the rack from the removal of the receiver to pre/amps combo to the Bluray players etc, suddenly I feel like the the speakers are the weakest part of the audio chain...Do speakers lose/ change their sound over time? or is it me just having heard some awesome NEW speakers just pining for something different? It just seems like they aren't doing it for me anymore...I guess that 15 years is a long time in the audio world and improvements are inevitable, I guess I'm looking for a better reason than I want new speakers, but in the end, I'll get new speakers :)
Unless one of the drivers in a cabinet is not operation, unknown to you, they should sound the same. You, on the other hand did change over time, especially your hearing. Or, your listening environment? Or, your expectations after listening to other speakers.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You already answered your own question :) The speakers didn't change, you did. You don't need a reason to want new ones.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You're bored and want a change.

That's normal. It happens to all of us. Go ahead. Go see what's out there.

Thankfully, we're talking speakers here, not wives. THAT might be a problem.

Go out and see what catches your, err, ear but listen long and carefully. You've got pretty good speakers and, while anything new can/will sound different, that can be captivating.

But, sometimes, careful listening can reveal that "different" doesn't always amount to "better". Listen carefully, and insist on a liberal return policy.

Pete6737

Pete6737

Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies. I believe that I have just outgrown the speakers and maybe I have new speaker envy. I tell my wife that 15 years is pretty long for speakers and they need to be updated. She reads that as, " I guess I don't get a new car this year". She'd be right!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Thanks for the replies. I believe that I have just outgrown the speakers and maybe I have new speaker envy. I tell my wife that 15 years is pretty long for speakers and they need to be updated. She reads that as, " I guess I don't get a new car this year". She'd be right!
Mine are much older than 15 years.;) I still like it. Looks good, used to it, no need for me the break in to a new set of speakers;) and, that new car is safe. :D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Just don't get rid of your old ones until you have had the new ones in your home for a couple of weeks. You don't want to decide you made a mistake after it is too late!
Also, just to be sure (since I believe those speakers are somewhat hard to drive):
What are you using for amplification and what were you using earlier. It is possible that you inadvertently switched from an amp that suited the B&W's well to one that was not quite as effective at driving them.
The same effect could surface if you moved them into a larger room such that you need substantially more power - your old amp might not cut it in the larger room.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I think mine sound better as time goes by, I know my tektons sounded good when I got them but now that they have some time on them they sound even better....

Time for new speakers, sell yours and get new ones..

Pete6737

Pete6737

Enthusiast
Thanks for your input. My b&w speakers are powered by a Bryson 14bst. Prior to that it was Yamaha receiver. I think that the speakers have always been a bit lean on the bottom end I always used a sub. Lately I listen to straight up pure two channel without added channels or sub so I feel like a good full range speaker is in order. I am looking into these speakers:
Golden ear triton twos
Salk sound scape 8
Bryston new model t. Just making their debut this month

I will listen to the golden ears and Salks later this month. Trickier is getting hold of the new Brystons.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Thanks for your input. My b&w speakers are powered by a Bryson 14bst. Prior to that it was Yamaha receiver. I think that the speakers have always been a bit lean on the bottom end I always used a sub. Lately I listen to straight up pure two channel without added channels or sub so I feel like a good full range speaker is in order. I am looking into these speakers:
Golden ear triton twos
Salk sound scape 8
Bryston new model t. Just making their debut this month

I will listen to the golden ears and Salks later this month. Trickier is getting hold of the new Brystons.
Not sure you will get what a sub can do for you. Hard to beat it; why not use one, much cheaper and still can be used with 2 ch.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis