Do I really need HDMI ?

R

reubenv2

Audiophyte
I just bought a new HD tv with HDMI inputs. Is there a significant difference in picture quality between the 75 ohm component video cables and the HDMI cable? The signal that comes to the cable box is from a 75 ohm cable, so I don't understand how the owner's manual for the tv claims the HDMI cable delivers an unaltered signal and is therefore better. Can I get some clarification on this? Thanks.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Component and HDMI can both look stunning.

But, not all devices output the same resolution through both types. My cable box outputs a great 1080i signal via component, but it has no HDMI.

OTOH, I have an upscaling DVD player that only outputs 720 and 1080 via HDMI, It'scomponent is limited to 480p. ...and my buddy has an upscaling DVD player that only outputs 720 and 1080 via component, not HDMI. ...go figga.

And, don't confuse the 75 ohm cable feeding the cable box to the outputs from it feeding your other goodies. ...totally different creatures. That's like thinking you can stuff dinosaurs into your gas tank to run the car. ...lotsa changes happen in between.

Last edited:
no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
markw said:
That's like thinking you can stuff dinosaurs into your gas tank to run the car.
...so that's why I can't start my car! gas not dinosaurs! :D

good analogy markw. you'r geting a green chicklit today. :cool:

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
You'll also need HDMI (any version) to get a full 1080p signal.
And you'll need v.1.3 to pass the Dolby TrueHD soundtrack to your AVR digitally.

J

Jedi2016

Full Audioholic
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
You'll also need HDMI (any version) to get a full 1080p signal.
Not necessarily. My TV accepts 1080p through component, VGA, and DVI in addition to HDMI. It seems to be a common misconception that component can't carry a 1080p signal. It's far more common that a piece of equipment simply doesn't support the feature... doesn't mean it isn't possible.

In fact, of the eight connections on my TV, the composite and S-video inputs are the only ones that don't accept a 1080p signal.

I plan on taking advantage of those DVI ports, too... since it has only one HDMI port, and everything these days is using HDMI, I can pick up a couple of HDMI>DVI cables and have three of them hooked up in full 1080p.

Now, going back to the original topic. Chances are you won't see much improvement coming from a cable signal. HDMI, in my opinion, is really only useful if you're watching something straight from the source.. i.e. a HD-DVD or Blu-ray player. Otherwise, the signal probably isn't clear enough for it to make a difference. Broadcast signals aren't known for their high video quality.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis