Do I need to worry about Burn in for Pioneer Plasmas?

D

derek44

Enthusiast
hello,

I am in the market for a new plasma and I am considering making the plunge and buying the Pioneer Elite 151FD. I am concerned about spending a lot of money and getting burn in though. I watch a lot of blu ray and dvd's. I also will watch 2-4 hours of TV a day on it. Do i need to worry about standard tv programing in 4:3 with the black bars on the sides? Doesn't this burn in? also on blu ray movies with the bars on the top and bottom? I can expand the picture, but that degrades the quality, especially on standard tv programing signals. Also what about those damn tv station logos? How about gaming? Please advise on what to do to to not get burn in and still keep a quality picture.

thanks!!!

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
You would have to try real to get just retention. I recommend running a break in disc for 100 hrs and the the first calibration

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You would have to try real to get just retention.
Sounds like a challenge to me. I might just have to go buy a plasma and take you up on that. :D

Seriously, though, thanks for the info. I might just buy a plasma this week...

J

jasonwf

Audiophyte
That was my only concern as well, but from what I've heard/read you do really have to try to get burn-in on the higher end plasmas.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I recommend that you go to Pioneer's web site and download the owner's manual and read what it has to say about it. There have been people in the past who have had burn-in problems with various plasma sets, after many people said that burn-in was no longer a concern. And then when the people come to sites like this one to vent their frustration, they are typically told that they were idiots for not paying attention to the precautions in the manual for such an expensive set!

Read the Pioneer manual BEFORE you buy, and decide based upon the precautions (and warranty or lack thereof) contained therein.

I personally would never buy a plasma, but you must decide such things for yourself. It all depends on how you use it on whether you will have burn-in problems with it or not.

majorloser

majorloser

Short Answer

All plasma sets will "burn-in" an image.

But it is easy to control and work with. You just need to be aware of it and take the proper steps. It's really not a bid problem with movies. It can be a problem with video games and television channels that constantly display their logo in the lower right corner. Anybody who owns a plasma should run a "burn-in" DVD every so often to bring the screen back to an even burn.

http://www.eaprogramming.com/
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=583089

annunaki

annunaki

I recommend that you go to Pioneer's web site and download the owner's manual and read what it has to say about it. There have been people in the past who have had burn-in problems with various plasma sets, after many people said that burn-in was no longer a concern. And then when the people come to sites like this one to vent their frustration, they are typically told that they were idiots for not paying attention to the precautions in the manual for such an expensive set!

Read the Pioneer manual BEFORE you buy, and decide based upon the precautions (and warranty or lack thereof) contained therein.

I personally would never buy a plasma, but you must decide such things for yourself. It all depends on how you use it on whether you will have burn-in problems with it or not.
No self-respecting company will every warranty against burn-in. Why? Because a user can do it intentionally.

It is also the reason speaker manufacturers do not warranty burnt voice coils. User error or intention.

LCD manufacturers do not warranty dead pixels. Not until at least 5% of them are out anyway. I have seen more LCD pixel failures than I have cases of burn in.

Your point of it (burn in) being covered in the warranty is stale and holds no credence.

Everyone has a choice at which compromises they wish to deal with. Burn in, like stated many times now, practically needs to be done intentionally on Panasonic & Pioneer sets.

annunaki

annunaki

All plasma sets will "burn-in" an image.

But it is easy to control and work with. You just need to be aware of it and take the proper steps. It's really not a bid problem with movies. It can be a problem with video games and television channels that constantly display their logo in the lower right corner. Anybody who owns a plasma should run a "burn-in" DVD every so often to bring the screen back to an even burn.

http://www.eaprogramming.com/
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=583089
CRT sets essentially did/do the same thing, just at a lesser rate. :)

J

jamie2112

Banned
I don't want to worry about it so I am buying a LCD tv.....

majorloser

majorloser

Hopefully you will not encounter dead or stuck pixels. :)
That's got to be the worst thing to point out to somebody who proud of their new display. I make it a point to keep my mouth shut when I see them (and that's hard for me to do).

It's not as common of a problem as it used to be, but "dead pixels" still happen. I think most warranties still allow for a certain amount. Vizio used to be the only one with a "zero dead pixel" warranty.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
No self-respecting company will every warranty against burn-in. Why? Because a user can do it intentionally.

It is also the reason speaker manufacturers do not warranty burnt voice coils. User error or intention.

LCD manufacturers do not warranty dead pixels. Not until at least 5% of them are out anyway. I have seen more LCD pixel failures than I have cases of burn in.

Your point of it (burn in) being covered in the warranty is stale and holds no credence.

Everyone has a choice at which compromises they wish to deal with. Burn in, like stated many times now, practically needs to be done intentionally on Panasonic & Pioneer sets.
The main point was to get him (or her) to read the manual regarding the precautions; the issue of the warranty was merely a parenthetical remark, intended to draw attention to the fact that if one does not heed the warnings and precautions necessary, then one will be stuck with the consequences.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Hopefully you will not encounter dead or stuck pixels. :)
That is a good reason to buy locally from a store with a good return policy. If it comes with dead pixels, or they become dead in the first month, one simply returns the TV, saying one changed one's mind about it. Of course, if they develop later, then one has to deal with the issue of whether or not one's warranty covers it.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I always say the same thing in regards to plasmas:

You don't need to WORRY about burn-in, you just need to be aware of the possibility.

It is extremely easy to avoid, and almost requires an effort on the part of the owner to get it.

So, if you aren't blindly negligent, but instead switch from 2.35 programming, to 16:9 programming, to 4:3 programming and back and forth on a regular basis you will not have issues.

Regular, for me, means about every 10-12 hours the type of programming is switched up, with the majority being 16:9 material.

Watch a game in HD once a week, and a couple of HD TV shows. Then watch movies as you please and some 4:3 programming (which you will hate to see before you know it).

I had a POS Sampo for 4 years which got minor image retention, but never burned-in at all. Despite playing video games on it, the TV just kept going without issue.

My Pioneer (6070) has exhibited ZERO image retention, and the Kuros are better.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis