Do I need more power? grunt grunt grunt

D

duhdonutman

Audioholic Intern
3 years of being in and out of this and slowly trying to build a HT on a budget has me a step and a half away from completion.

I'm trying to determine if I will need to purchase an amplifier or power center for my set up. I'm hoping you can help direct my decision. I primarily use my system for movies (blu ray yes, 3-d i scoff at) with a side dish of music and gaming.

Current A/v Inventory:
Brain: Pioneer Elite VSX-23
Center: B&W HTM62
Fronts: B&W 685
Rears: 2 Klipsch the horns (set of 4 and the center)
Sub: Polk PSW10
Sources: TWC HDDVR, Direct HDDVR (temp), PS3, 360s, NES, Genesis

My plan is to move the 685 to the rears and get the 683s which is why I wonder if I will need to supply more power or if the Pioneer will keep the B&Ws happy.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You have 4 rears and a rear center? I'd say that even what you currently have hooked to that receiver is pushing the limits of its capabilities. The question is though, does it sound like it is running out of steam in your room or not? You didn't provide a room size, so it is difficult to really say if you have enough amplification or not.

Looking at that list, the sub is what is SORELY lacking. I'd get a new sub before anything else.

D

duhdonutman

Audioholic Intern
thanks.

the room is about fairly small, 12 x 12. to me i feel like i'm hearing everything quite nicely for what i have and i rarely push the receiver too far...with the weekends when my wife and daughter get missing.

i figured at some point i'd need a new sub or a 2nd one, but that wasn't really a big concern for me right now. my room is on the 2nd floor above where my wife spends the most time and when i'm really having a good time she complains about the bass as is.

D

duhdonutman

Audioholic Intern
You have 4 rears and a rear center? I'd say that even what you currently have hooked to that receiver is pushing the limits of its capabilities. The question is though, does it sound like it is running out of steam in your room or not? You didn't provide a room size, so it is difficult to really say if you have enough amplification or not.

Looking at that list, the sub is what is SORELY lacking. I'd get a new sub before anything else.
no no, not 4 rears and a center. i'm running a 5.1. i was saying that i'm using 2 of the horns as rears, but they were originally part of the horns 5.0 set.

Z

Ziontrain

Audioholic Intern
You do not need more amplifier power than in a 12x12 room than wghat you have now. I once had a 35WPC stereo receiver in a room that size running 4 ohm Canton speakers and it didnt even break a sweat.

You probably dont need 2 subwoofers either, as a single decent one can probably pressurize a room that small pretty easily

What you do need to stop the misplaced "booming" is subwoofer EQ, which you are not going to get from Pioneer's MCACC. I'd look at the basic or midrange Denon, Onkyo or Anthem receivers. Or a sub with EQ option eg some from SVS and Paradigm.

Last but not least, there are real limits to the audio quality that is possible in a tiny, square and untreated room. I'd be careful not to waste money trying to buy your way out of the most basic laws of physics.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis