do I need a buttkicker?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
does the buttkicker add something new to the experience if you already have a good subwoofer?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
You want me to kick your butt, what?:D

I would never buy one, or D-box for that matter. While they are cool the wow effect would were off pretty quick I think. They seem more gimmicky that functional.:cool:

the grunt

the grunt

Audioholic
I would say no you probably don’t unless there are times you can’t turn up your sub to the levels you want or your room is large and you don‘t want to buy more subwoofers. I own a Buttkicker and an Axiom EP500 in a 2000 cubic foot room and notice only a little advantage to having the Buttkicker on when I can play the sub loud enough.

However, I live in an apartment so I actually use it quite often so as not to annoy my neighbors especially at night. I ran a test by playing the sub at the level I would like and could clearly hear/feel the bass in the adjacent room. When I used the Buttkicker and turned the sub down everything at my futon seemed the same but in the adjacent room I could barely hear/feel anything.

When I first got it I was turning the Buttckicker up to high because I had a crappy sound system. Now that I have something decent I find that turning it down so that it is just noticeable works best. But then the sub does the same thing when played loud enough.

Where the Buttkicker does really ad something is with some games. The extra shaking if you turn it up (higher than movie level) is cool. Also, kids get a real kick out of the shaking when it‘s turned up.

Well that’s my two cents.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord

I would never buy one, or D-box for that matter. While they are cool the wow effect would were off pretty quick I think. They seem more gimmicky that functional.:cool:
come here and do it :D

I would say no you probably don’t unless there are times you can’t turn up your sub to the levels you want or your room is large and you don‘t want to buy more subwoofers. I own a Buttkicker and an Axiom EP500 in a 2000 cubic foot room and notice only a little advantage to having the Buttkicker on when I can play the sub loud enough.

However, I live in an apartment so I actually use it quite often so as not to annoy my neighbors especially at night. I ran a test by playing the sub at the level I would like and could clearly hear/feel the bass in the adjacent room. When I used the Buttkicker and turned the sub down everything at my futon seemed the same but in the adjacent room I could barely hear/feel anything.

When I first got it I was turning the Buttckicker up to high because I had a crappy sound system. Now that I have something decent I find that turning it down so that it is just noticeable works best. But then the sub does the same thing when played loud enough.

Where the Buttkicker does really ad something is with some games. The extra shaking if you turn it up (higher than movie level) is cool. Also, kids get a real kick out of the shaking when it‘s turned up.

Well that’s my two cents.
that's a great big help grunt. thanks for sharing

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Does your *** feel sore after a long day of work? Cause if you do it might make a good massager. Otherwise get a third sub, that'll do a better job ;).

AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

Junior Audioholic
I may end up getting a buttkicker after they go way way - waaaay - down in price. The reason why is because it seems like it can add an effect to games that has a more arcade feel to it.

Namely, I remember an older game (1999 era or so?) called Hydro Thunder, whereas anytime you bumped into a rock or something, you can actually feel that happen due to the strong subs that were built into the seat itself. I thought that particular effect was really cool, and it did it without blowing your ears out even though the speakers were about 6" away from you.

If this can add that kind of effect, then that would be pretty nice. Not $500 nice, but maybe $100 nice. Especially given that I prefer my sound setup to be at lower volumes than most people, and that this would be a creative way to add effects in the 5hz-30hz range where you are (obviously) supposed to feel it more than hear it.

EDIT: Oooh...the gamer version is $49 after rebate on amazon, with free shipping...Hmmm...soo tempting to pull the trigger on that one...Only thing that bothers me is no RCA LFE channel support that I can tell (or is there?)

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-BK-GR-Buttkicker-Gamer/dp/B000AOTLP6

Last edited:
avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I think these things are kind of pointless but I did get a good laugh out of this (a review from amazon):

Good for Inducing bowel movements, May 3, 2006
By MaximumPC (USA) - See all my reviews
You know those hooptie-mobiles that pump so much bass your fillings rattle? That's the idea behind the ButtKicker Gamer. The difference is that this subwoofer sans speaker vibrates your chair. Think force feedback-for your ***.

Connect your PC's bass output to this 100-watt amp, and it will drive a piston clamped to your chair. The piston's rapid movement produces intense vibrations synchronized to low-frequency audio events, a sensation that's about as much fun as a sonic enema.

J

jake5717

Audioholic
I have a buttkicker and I love it. My GF thinks its silly so we've only used it one or twice. Ill sell you mine if your serious about buying one.

jaseman

jaseman

Enthusiast
I use the older, smaller (no longer available????) bass-shakers. I have 4 of them. 2 mounted under my leather sofa, 1 under a rocker/glider, and 1 under a leather recliner. EVERYONE who watches a movie loves them!!!!:p They truly add to the movie experience IMO, good SUB or not!:eek:

AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

Junior Audioholic
Yeah I am still debating whether or not to buy one of these. It sounds like it would be nice to add very low effects, but then again by the way it attaches to the chair it may be something that I often leave unplugged and don't ever use. It is only $50 though, thats about what I spend on a tank of gas these days.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

I was thinking the same thing :D I'll come over and kick you in the butt every time there a big BOOM, or randomly for those scenes you weren't expecting to have low stuff :cool:

They are not gimmicky at all. They really do add to the sensation of bass, perhaps even moreso that a sub itself to be honest because the lowest frequencies are all about tactile response not hearing. Of course, that means implemented correctly too.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
that's what my bro tells me everytime I mention buttkicker (and all the other audio purchases I say I'm buying)

"I'll kick your butt for you ... for free"

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
LMAO

That is the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title. :D

Everyone needs a good Butt Kicking every once in a while. LOL :D

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
LMAO

That is the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title. :D

Everyone needs a good Butt Kicking every once in a while. LOL :D
hey, I asked this question because you posted over at AVSforum that you don't need BK's if you have a good sub.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
hey, I asked this question because you posted over at AVSforum that you don't need BK's if you have a good sub.
You don't IMO. When you have a good quality sub that is capable of getting down that low. You don't need buttkickers. If you have a decent or even a good quality sub that can't get low, then maybe.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
thanks! mumbles to himself: i don't need a new audio item ... i don't need a new audio item ... i don't need a new audio item ...

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
thanks! mumbles to himself: i don't need a new audio item ... i don't need a new audio item ... i don't need a new audio item ...
What do you need buttkickers for? You have subs all over the place.

You could be running a 7.1 sub system. LOL 7 subs, 1 speaker (center channel).

majorloser

majorloser

Tactile Transducers

I used to think I might add tactile transducers to my theater chairs............

Then I added the HSU MBM-12 to my room. It added that "up close and personal" rumble that was missing. I originally had three subs. Then got the two HSU VTF-3HO's. That was nice. Dr. Hsu and Peter Marcks convinced me to try an MBM. My wife and I were skeptical that it would make any real impact. WERE WE WRONG! It's like getting a kick in the butt.

I'm not saying you need to buy an MBM, but I am convinced that dividing up the LFE frequencies into mid and high bands with the mids in the "near field" is the way to go. I'm sure you could do this with a 12" sub that's a great performer on the upper end placed close to your seating position, a good "true subwoofer" placed in the optimum position in the room and an active crossover like the Behringer.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I used to think I might add tactile transducers to my theater chairs............

Then I added the HSU MBM-12 to my room. It added that "up close and personal" rumble that was missing. I originally had three subs. Then got the two HSU VTF-3HO's. That was nice. Dr. Hsu and Peter Marcks convinced me to try an MBM. My wife and I were skeptical that it would make any real impact. WERE WE WRONG! It's like getting a kick in the butt.
I can say first hand that MajorLoser does "Not" need buttkickers. And the addition of the MBM did have an impact on your viewing experience. :D

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
Buttkickers remind me too much of the infamous (and tacky) "Sen-Surround" of the 70's, most notably used on the movie "Earthquake". I think what we REALLY need is Smell-o-Vision-I think Spinal Tap has an embedded SmelloVision track that is just aching to be experienced ("the sights, the sounds, the smells..."). :p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis