Do I lose quality If I use my receiver as the center of my system?

V

Vigor

Junior Audioholic
Do I lose quality If I use my receiver as the center of my system? (running all cable to the amp and from the amp monitor out to the TV). presently I run the component video cable from the DVD to my TV and the audio running from the DVD Direct to the receiver. and the same for the satellite.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Not at all. Besides, that's the entire point to having a receiver. It's meant to be used as a system's center so that everything is simplified and consolodated.

V

Vigor

Junior Audioholic
Yes it’s meant to be used as a system's center so that everything is simplified and consolidated. But the information I got from audio experts it's preferable to go direct its more wires and work but its worth for high Quality.

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
I have tried both and can't tell any difference. I would say just leave it the way you have it unless you start running out of inputs on your tv. If that happens run them through the receiver. As the last person said you wont lose any quality.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Vigor said:
Yes it’s meant to be used as a system's center so that everything is simplified and consolidated. But the information I got from audio experts it's preferable to go direct its more wires and work but its worth for high Quality.

Well, there are experts and then there are experts:D
Not hard to weed some out.

V

Vigor

Junior Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
Well, there are experts and then there are experts:D
Not hard to weed some out.
Yes you right there are experts and then there are experts!!! but it is sound logic to go direct, I will leave it the way It is the sound I have now is overwhelming

S

Svenhook

Audioholic
If you are worried about distortion from the other signals, Denon receivers give you the option to cut all signals excpet the ones being used including the front panel display. I personally have never been able to notice a difference but maybe some people can.

H

houreyes

Audiophyte
i use my receiver as the center because it is easier for me to switch from dvd to cable to xbox.

L

lithnights

Audioholic
I'm a newbie, so bear with me here please...

When we say the receiver is the center of everything, does that mean when I pick Video 1 on the receiver, the receiver will play whatever audio is coming into the Video 1 audio inputs and at the same time will send to the TV or whatever is plugged into the Video 1 video outs?

If I only currently have regular cable, a DVD player, and a CD player hooked into my receiver, does this really effect me right now? What would I need to be effected by this "video switching"? An xbox or something, so then I could just put my receiver on Video2 and the sound would come out my receiver and the picture would come out my TV without me having to change my TV to Video 2?

Thanks!

CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
I usually only recommend that people run their video components through the receiver if they have more than, say, 3 video components. If you just have 1 or 2, it is kind of redundant to do so, in my mind. For example: I only have a dvd player plugged into my tv, no games, no cable or antenna (I don't watch tv). I can't justify running it through my receiver first unless I wanted to use the OSD on the receiver.

~Chuck

B

buckyg4

Junior Audioholic
electrically you want to send the signal to its source component with the least amount of resistance inbetween... will you see or hear a difference.. Who knows. why not just try it out?

V

Vigor

Junior Audioholic
Yes on the tv you are on video one only you are running only one cable to your TV (Component or S Video) and the receiver controling the rest you do not have to change your TV to Video 2
lithnights said:
I'm a newbie, so bear with me here please...

When we say the receiver is the center of everything, does that mean when I pick Video 1 on the receiver, the receiver will play whatever audio is coming into the Video 1 audio inputs and at the same time will send to the TV or whatever is plugged into the Video 1 video outs?

If I only currently have regular cable, a DVD player, and a CD player hooked into my receiver, does this really effect me right now? What would I need to be effected by this "video switching"? An xbox or something, so then I could just put my receiver on Video2 and the sound would come out my receiver and the picture would come out my TV without me having to change my TV to Video 2?

Thanks!

Last edited:
W

w.e-coyote

Audioholic Intern
In response to Vigor's initial question, there will (/ought to) be no difference if the receiver is also able to take in component video and spit out component as well. If, on the other hand you can only connect using S-video to and from the receiver, there will be loss of quality. Apologies for being so obvious...

V

Vigor

Junior Audioholic
w.e-coyote said:
In response to Vigor's initial question, there will (/ought to) be no difference if the receiver is also able to take in component video and spit out component as well. If, on the other hand you can only connect using S-video to and from the receiver, there will be loss of quality. Apologies for being so obvious...
No need to apologies you absolutely right, I just mention What are the options. of course the component is a better choice than S-video, HDMI Is the best, all depend at the receiver and the TV.

L

lithnights

Audioholic
But what about "Previous Channel" button/ability..?

OK, let's say I have my DVD player and Xbox video wires running into my receiver. So I just leave my TV on Video 1 and have a single component wire (3 plugs of course) going from receiver out to TV Video 1 in. Great, now I can just leave my TV on Video 1 all the time. I get that.

But what happens if I want to use a function that is available with my TV remote but not my DVR remote? Specifically the ability to go to Previous Channel (the last channel I was on). I love this ability when I am watching 2 things at once or switching from a commercial, but it doesn't seem like my DVR can do this. My previous VCR could not either. But I love the Previous Channel button/ability on my TV remote!

How do you all get around this problem if not using your TV controls (always leaving it on Video 1) and thus not using your TV remote?

Thanks all.

Vigor, thanks for earlier PM

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The fact that you use only 1 (set of) component cable to the TV from the receiver has no bearing on which remote control commands will work on the TV.

[I didn't read the beginning of this thread, so you may have already described how everything is connected...]
If the source of the video is the TV, the 'prev ch' button on the TV remote will change to the prior channel. If the source of the video is a DVR and the TV is just a display device, then you would have to have a 'prev ch' feature on the DVR remote.

The way most of us handle this type of thing is with a universal remote control. For example, in my 'cable' mode, the channel up/down/previous buttons control the cable box, but the volume up/down/mute buttons control the receiver. If you are using the remote that came with the receiver, chances are you will have to switch modes on the remote (ie press 'dvr', then use the prev ch button and then press 'rcvr' to go back to controlling the receiver.

V

Vigor

Junior Audioholic
In response to lithnights, Corect you don't have to use you TV remote if all audio is coming from your receiver and speakers, I don't know what receiver do you have but with the new receivers today you can program the remote of your receiver to do the "previous channel" (I'm controling the DVD,DVR, TV, with my receiver remote.)
to be sincere I Myself do not use the receiver as the center I'm running all the cabels individually direct to the tv, it is more work and money but I believe it give better Quality because of- "the long you go will give you more amount of resistance inbetween this equal less quality" some agree and some not. but I believe most a/v folks do leave their TV on Video 1 and just control the channels (cable, satelliite etc.) via their DVR, VCR, it is easy less work & inexpensive.

Last edited:
L

lithnights

Audioholic
MDS said:
The fact that you use only 1 (set of) component cable to the TV from the receiver has no bearing on which remote control commands will work on the TV.

[I didn't read the beginning of this thread, so you may have already described how everything is connected...]
If the source of the video is the TV, the 'prev ch' button on the TV remote will change to the prior channel. If the source of the video is a DVR and the TV is just a display device, then you would have to have a 'prev ch' feature on the DVR remote.

The way most of us handle this type of thing is with a universal remote control. For example, in my 'cable' mode, the channel up/down/previous buttons control the cable box, but the volume up/down/mute buttons control the receiver. If you are using the remote that came with the receiver, chances are you will have to switch modes on the remote (ie press 'dvr', then use the prev ch button and then press 'rcvr' to go back to controlling the receiver.
That makes sense.. my only problem is I don't have a cable box. Line runs straight from my wall into the DVR... no cable box.
And my DVR does NOT have a previous channel button unfortunately so it looks like I'm stuck channel surfing using my TV (if I want to use previous channel.)

What exactly is the purpose of a cable box? If I just have standard cable (no digital cable), does it serve a purpose?

Thanks!

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
For standard (analog, basic, whatever your company calls it) cable, a cable box is generally not needed because none of the basic channels are scrambled and the ntsc tuner in a tv/vcr can tune all of the channels.

Premium channels like HBO, Cinemax, etc for which there is an additional monthly fee are always scrambled and you need a box from the cable company to descramble them.

For digital cable, pay per view, video on demand etc a set top box is required and they do alot more than just descramble the pay channels.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis