P

philh

Full Audioholic
Yep, finally upgrading to the modern world :)

New build, long story, but I initially rejected installing WHS 2011 instead of V1... but warming up to the idea of DNLA. Are there any reasonably priced ($1k-ish) receivers that will stream video from WHS 2011? I have a D-Link media player that has a bad habit of getting audio and video out of sink, sometimes I can get it to re-sink, sometimes I can't. Computer is more designed for server and not as a player itself... although with a video card ;) It is my intention to move the puter back to the shelf in the basement.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I don't know of any receivers but you can connect a media player like the Western Digital TV Live or buy or build a HTPC and connect it to your receiver via HDMI. You will likely need a hard-wired network connection to stream HD videos though. In my experience not even 802.11n can quite keep up. As for DLNA I never use it so I can't tell you if it will do video. I use network shares instead.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Until I really started to look into this - no all DLNA born equal: I have DNLA in my galaxy s2 phone, my tv and my netgear media client - for most part they partially or fully incompatible other than really basic functions like jpg and mp3...

Yea, file shares work much better and render of media depends on device chip, not middle men (dlna specs) on both sides

Picking media client is a bit harder task - WD TV Live plus could be one...
Dune hd is owned and highly recommended by BMXTrix who' Pro A/V installer

Me and Sholling use Netgear NeoTV 550 which is on sale at B&H for $85
Netgear NeoTV 550 Ultimate HD Media Player NTV550-100NAS B&H

So far I could tell you - It plays almost everything you throw at it : DVD and BD ISO, HD audio passthru, MKVs, HD Flac etc.... - I never had issues with out of SINK :) My dirty dishes seem to keep themselves safely in sink :) until me or wife washes them

However it's interface design is pretty basic and Netgear stopped making new updates for it since about year ago...

That all said - at $85 you can't go wrong and get rid you your aging D-Link :)

P

philh

Full Audioholic
Maybe I need a stainless steel sync? LOL

the whole upgrade to WHS 2011 has been a costly exercise... mainly because I lost an incredible amount of data, due to user error :(

Been sitting on the fence of V1 - 2011, finally decided today to go to 2011. Not quite sure what I'm going to do with all this free disk space! V1 offered file dup on to a diff drive. Seriously considering using the server as a limited player, which means I need to find a video card to feed the TV, and hopefully new receiver. Kind of defeats the main purpose of the server, but I won't have any player issues ;)

D

dpc

Audioholic Intern
I've been using two WD TV Live boxes for about half a year and haven't had any trouble playing any of my media. Audio has always been in sync. The big reasons I went with this is that it's silent and I haven't seen a remote solution for a computer that seemed decent and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Newegg has them on sale fairly regularly for around $80. I've never used WHS, so I can't comment on how well the two work together, but I've been happy with the WD TV Live.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis