C

cutter

Audioholic
I bought a samsung 61 inch DLP in 2003. I changed the bulb last year, (it had about 8,000 hours on it) now it looks like a new set! not bad for a 8 year old tv...

I also have a samsung LED 67in DLP that I bought 2 years ago, and a new panny 50 inch VT25. both have very very nice pictures, especially since I had Jeff Meier calibrate them!

I want a BIG plasma, but I still think DLP is the way to go for a good quality screen over 65" (and under 85, where I think you would want to transition to projector)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Went with the RCA... I mean LG huh?

I hope it works out well for you! There are definitely a lot of choices out there to be had now, and some real deals.

B

BassAddictJ

Audiophyte
my toshiba bulbs last about 6 months to a year if they are good. if they are defective then a month or two....

B

BassAddictJ

Audiophyte
best bulbs ive played with came from advancedlamps.com

check them out

M

MADMAN66

Enthusiast
I have a Panasonic 50" plasma and I just bought the mit 73" from dell.... I can say this ...for MY money I like the bigger display.... yes the plasma looks good but the mit is SO much bigger! plus it really does have a great picture... not so afraid of the colorwheel thing as I do repairs myself...we will see how it goes....

A

armaraas

Full Audioholic
Little late here, but for future reference, Mitsubishi sells replacement lamps on their website for $99 for anyone not aware of it. Ex. for a WD65737-915B403001LAMP (180W) (V39/V39+/++/V41/41C/+) 'G' $99

You have to go to support and put in a model. It appears if you put in a current model, they do not list the lamps as an available part, you have to request it through warranty (must be covered 1 year I assume?).

I've had pretty good luck with my Samsung 56" that I bought in 2006. I bought an extended service warranty. A few months before it expired (2010) the tv had turned itself off a couple of times, so I called it in and they replaced a few parts. I was still on the original bulb, but since the plan covered 1 bulb, the guy was nice enough to put a new one in. As a bonus he left the original one since it still worked.

itschris

itschris

I have zero interest in an LCD that isn't at least 65". That why I went with DLP in the first place. I cannot even bear the thought of replacing my current Mits with a smaller TV. You always go bigger! Downsizing your screen size? That's damn near blasphemy.

I'm probably getting close for a new bulb. I though you don't have to buy the entire housing? I thought you could replace just the bulb with a bit of effort?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I'm probably getting close for a new bulb. I though you don't have to buy the entire housing? I thought you could replace just the bulb with a bit of effort?
How much would that really save you (assuming you can find the bulb without housing to begin with)?

If you do locate separate bulbs with no housing, please be extremely careful not to get any oils, like from your fingertips, on the bulb, or one day while watching the TV you will hear a big explosion take place inside your TV.

itschris

itschris

How much would that really save you (assuming you can find the bulb without housing to begin with)?

If you do locate separate bulbs with no housing, please be extremely careful not to get any oils, like from your fingertips, on the bulb, or one day while watching the TV you will hear a big explosion take place inside your TV.
Savings? I have no clue. I haven't really looked into it yet, but why buy the housing if you don't need it? I read on here somewhere awhile ago that there wasn't any point to buy the entire kit. I don't really care one way or the other, but I'm not going to buy something if I don't have to. That being said, if there's a good reason, I'll buy the whole thing.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Savings? I have no clue. I haven't really looked into it yet, but why buy the housing if you don't need it?
Well, in my shoes, I only buy OEM, and OEM is only offered in the housing.

I read on here somewhere awhile ago that there wasn't any point to buy the entire kit. I don't really care one way or the other, but I'm not going to buy something if I don't have to. That being said, if there's a good reason, I'll buy the whole thing.
There is both a convenience and security by getting the housing, so if you do locate a bulb without housing, it boils down to the amount you save. I am just going to straight out guess that your savings will not be worth it. RPTV DLP bulbs are not very expensive from the bits I've seen; definitely less expensive than front projection bulbs in my experience.

Good luck with the bulb operation if you go there.

itschris

itschris

Well a quick search shows $140 vs $119... complete housing & bulb vs just the bulb. Not enough to really sway me one way or another. I didn't do any comparisons, just looked at the 1st site that popped up. I'm almost 3 years into my current bulb... I don't imagine it's good as it used to be, but I guess I've just gotten used to it. I should probably just swap it out.

BTW Jost.. good point on the finger oils... I learned that lesson a long long time ago when I finally saved up the money to put new bulbs in my Mustangs fog lights only to have the go kaplooey on their maiden voyage.

N

NETXrazorback

Audiophyte
I have a Panasonic 50" plasma and I just bought the mit 73" from dell.... I can say this ...for MY money I like the bigger display.... yes the plasma looks good but the mit is SO much bigger! plus it really does have a great picture... not so afraid of the colorwheel thing as I do repairs myself...we will see how it goes....
I bought my 73"Mits DLP from Dell as well, took the 2 year in home warranty. The bulb replacement scenario generally results in a like new renewal of the set. I almost bought a spare for JIC, but decided to ride it out.

73" is an awesome size for a country boy.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis