DIYSG HTM-12v1 Speaker Review

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
This is copy/pasted from my website. Therefore, there may be some formatting things that go awry when pasted here. Feel free to view the review natively on my site linked below.
DIYSG HTM-12v1 Speaker Review

A couple things:
I use the Klippel NFS for measurements. This is SOTA. And better than an anechoic chamber.

Yes, I verified the LF oddities (dip <200Hz) via a groundplane measurement. Gated results don't have the resolution the NFS data does because gated results are typically smoothed to provide resolution more in-line with 1-octave or 1/3-octave resolution; the NFS data is 1/20-octave resolution.

I know this may not be a glowing review that some expected to see but with as much time as I have spent measuring drivers for the DIY community over the last 10 years, hopefully you all know that I'm only providing my reviews as a means to help. FWIW, I have offered my services free of charge for any future DIYSG projects.

While the response isn't ideal, the directivity is pretty linear - outside of a couple areas - which indicates this speaker would take quite well to EQ.

Thanks,
Erin

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
"Voices don’t sound natural; FR is quite varied and some intelligibility is lost due to the 3kHz suck out."
One phrase to kill their potential usage at least in HT, or at least this is how I read it.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Excellent to see a review of these! Thank you Erin!
Any insight on what aspect is causing some of the issues (waveguide, driver choice, etc)?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis