T

tomito

Audioholic Intern
I have a pair of really old Axiom bookshelfs that i'm using like front speakers and I want to build some towers and use the Axioms like surrounds, I need help in choosing a design that it's not too expensive (about 600-700 dlls), I don't need too much bass coming from the towers because I have the Kappa Perfect avaserfi designed. :D
So help me pick a good design please.

Tom

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I have a pair of really old Axiom bookshelfs that i'm using like front speakers and I want to build some towers and use the Axioms like surrounds, I need help in choosing a design that it's not too expensive (about 600-700 dlls), I don't need too much bass coming from the towers because I have the Kappa Perfect avaserfi designed. :D
So help me pick a good design please.

Tom
Zaph ZA5.5TT

annunaki

annunaki

If this is your first foray into the DIY speaker world I would highly suggest a kit speaker or a previously executed design. It can take a LONG time to get a firm handle on well executed crossover designs.

Check out some of these kits/DIY builds:

Zaph ZA5.5 tall tower kit

Paul Carmody's Sunflowers

You will have to construct the crossovers yourself on these

Pete Schumacher's Byzantium
You would not need subs with these

These should get you some ideas as to what you may or may not want to pursue in a design.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I would recommend designs from either Zaph, Paul Carmody or Curt Campbell for a first time DIY project. They tend to favor the simplest crossover that gets the job done and not terribly complicated cabinets - usually.

There are plenty of good designers out there but the three I mentioned are experienced and fit with my philosophy plus have a range of speaker designs for all budgets.

Zaph Audio
Curt Campbell
Paul Carmody

Don't be put off by the possibility of something less than your budget, most of their designs are better speakers than most of us are used to.

Jim

T

tomito

Audioholic Intern
If this is your first foray into the DIY speaker world I would highly suggest a kit speaker or a previously executed design. It can take a LONG time to get a firm handle on well executed crossover designs.

Check out some of these kits/DIY builds:

Zaph ZA5.5 tall tower kit

Paul Carmody's Sunflowers

You will have to construct the crossovers yourself on these

Pete Schumacher's Byzantium
You would not need subs with these

These should get you some ideas as to what you may or may not want to pursue in a design.
The Zaph kit really looks good and not that expensive but it is too tall, besides I dont have the space to place the speaker that far form the back and side wall.
With the sunflowers I don't like the design, I prefer the Zaph type, I guess I just like the skinny towers. lol.
I don't need to build the Byzantium because I already have a subwoofer, these design really goes low, more than my subwoofer I guess but I'm just happy with the punch my sub gives.

jinjuku

jinjuku

The Zaph kit really looks good and not that expensive but it is too tall, besides I dont have the space to place the speaker that far form the back and side wall.
With the sunflowers I don't like the design, I prefer the Zaph type, I guess I just like the skinny towers. lol.
I don't need to build the Byzantium because I already have a subwoofer, these design really goes low, more than my subwoofer I guess but I'm just happy with the punch my sub gives.
Zaph has 5 different designs using the ZA5 driver.

Check em out

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Man there is a lot of love for the Zaph 5.5tt here. I gotta look into this more.

T

tomito

Audioholic Intern
Zaph has 5 different designs using the ZA5 driver.

Check em out
I really like the ZA5.5t - MTMMM 2.5-way tower, but 43.37" is still a little too high for me, do you think the height could be changed to be about 35"-37"?
I liked the mini statements too but those are 42", so they are a little bit high too.

Tom

jinjuku

jinjuku

I really like the ZA5.5t - MTMMM 2.5-way tower, but 43.37" is still a little too high for me, do you think the height could be changed to be about 35"-37"?
I liked the mini statements too but those are 42", so they are a little bit high too.

Tom
I would do the TMM with a sub...

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja

Tom
What exactly turns you off about a taller tower? IMO they fit better with most decor and they actually put the tweeter axis at ear hieght. IN particular, they're usually the same height as a TV and it fits well. My e55tis are 4' tall and after the initial shock of how tall they were I realized I wouldn't have it any other way.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
You can always shorten a speaker and lengthen it from front to back.

There are many wonderful options out there.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Do you think this speakers could be driven with a receiver (Pioneer VSX-1020-K) or they need an external amp? :eek:
The TMM looks like a 4 ohm design but Zaph generally will say you can run most his designs off of a standard receiver. You should be fine.

T

tomito

Audioholic Intern
What exactly turns you off about a taller tower? IMO they fit better with most decor and they actually put the tweeter axis at ear hieght. IN particular, they're usually the same height as a TV and it fits well. My e55tis are 4' tall and after the initial shock of how tall they were I realized I wouldn't have it any other way.
What puts me off it's that I'm not using a TV, I'm using an Optoma HD20 and projecting to a white painted wall and I don't think my wifes going to like a big pair of towers in our leaving room, this isn't the man cave (I don't have one at the moment). :(

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Seriously, I think if they're slim, your wife will quickly adjust to the height... especially if you do a good job on the finish.

Where speakers look ugly is when they're big thick monkey coffins.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis