DIY subwoofer questions (first timer)

W

whateverman

Audioholic Intern
just moved this thread from loudspeakers & subwoofers to this forum, didnt realize i put it in the wrong one. anyways...

hey, ive already read a lot of threads on diy subs and stuff. i just have a few questions. this would be my first time building my own sub (def not my last, im looking forward to having a career in speaker design/building once i learn enough). so far the only site ive been to is parts express so i dont really know much of what else is out there. i was wondering what are your opinions on this sub and amp:

DAYTON TIT400C-4 15" TITANIC MKIII SUBWOOFER 4 OHM
http://www.************.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-420

BASH DIGITAL SUB AMPLIFIER 500W
http://www.************.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?DID=7&PartNumber=300-752

do you think this amp is alright for the sub? i plan to crank it really really high. i already have two cerwin vega e-712's which i feel put out awesome bass but i feel like i want more (mainly the deeper and lower bass that you can feel rather than hear). i mostly listen to music so how would this sub perform in that respect?

before you say i have enough bass with the vegas, i would definitely keep this diy sub for a very long time. when i have enough money in a few years ill probably invest in much better speakers and keep this sub.

do you have any suggestions for alternatives? maybe something cheaper that will perform as well as the dayton mkiii. thanks for your input.

almost forgot, is the dayton 3.0 cubic foot subwoofer enclosure alright for the 15 inch? do you recommend any other enclosures?

Last edited:
P

philh

Full Audioholic
I know nothing about designing speakers, or for that much building speakers...

I built a Madisound design that rocks. Dayton sub amp. Receive a lot of compliments on the bass

bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
That amp might be a little small for that sub. The dayton kit comes with the 1000w amp. I think that amp will run out of steam at the bottom end.

W

whateverman

Audioholic Intern
yeah i was actually thinking about buying the kit instead, because the sub enclosures they have on PE aren't pre-cut and i really wouldnt want to mess up a new enclosure (plus if i bought all the parts separately that are in the kit, its pretty much the same amount of money). but if i did get the kit, if any of you have any experience with it, how does it perform with the lower frequencies (deeper bass)? mainly with what that sub can handle, down to 19hz? i heard that if you add about a pound and a half of polyfill, you can extend the lower frequency by a couple of hz.
like i said before, i really want something to fill in the lower frequencies, the ones you can feel instead of hear (like explosions in movies and whatnot). so for the price, is this the best sub that can do that?
my roomate i believe has the dayton quatro 15 inch, which is only 100 dollars on PE. it says it goes down to 20hz, and ive heard it before. ive sat a few feet away from it and it was seriously like i was in a car, i could feel it shaking my chest and it even made the cd player skip(but the room we were in was all concrete so that could have contributed a bit to it). we walked about 10 doors down and it was shaking all the doors in the dorm. how will the 15 inch titanic compare to the 15 inch quatro? my vegas handle the higher bass very well, its the deeper bass i want for my room.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis