DIY Sub - This seems to be a trend

Rollin4

Audiophyte
Titanic owner

Hey Xbox,
I'm an owner of a Titanic III and the 1000 watt plate amp you're considering. I have been very happy with them. I previously had a pair of 12s with 400W and the single titanic easily plays lower and with more authority. I'm a bit confused by the idea of getting "enough" with less power. All things equal, more power is better, especially when you want a rock bottom F3. Serious low frequences require huge amounts of power. Keep in mind that to play at the same SPL, every time you halve the frequency you need to move four times as much air.

I have my Titanic in a 3.5 cu ft. sealed enclosure so I use the parmetric EQ on the amp to boost the bottom end flat to 20Hz. The sub is mostly just filling out the very bottom 1 1/2 octives because I have a multisub (Definitive Bp2002s & CLR3000) system. If you can, I'm a big fan of carefully placed multiple subs. Nothing makes for a more even bottom end.
Anywho...
I've worked as a professional home theater installer (or installer's sidekick actually- but I'm counting it!) so I've seen quite a few products and custom installs, and the Titanic 15 and the HPSA 1000 are a stellar value.

Also, try not to get too caught up in the numbers, the difference between an F3 of 22Hz and 18.5Hz is going to be far less important than properly setting up your sub and blending it with the rest of your speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis