DIY sound absorbers

superman180

superman180

Audioholic
I want to tone down a bright room; it seems to be far to reflective causing the highs to be overwhelming. I want to accomplish this by making homemade panels and I believe using a loose material (less dense) will work better than dense material at the high-end frequencies? Would this be the right choice?

Thanks in advance!

B

bpape

Audioholic Chief
Without knowing specifically what frequency you're trying to tame, the angles of incidence involved, what your room is like, etc., it's hard to say. In general, you want something which resists movement of the wave but still allows it to pass. 'Fluffy' stuff will certainly let it pass but unless you have 6" or more of it, it does very little to impede the wave-flow.

If your room is overly bright, it's likely that frequency related issues are not your only problem. I'd recommend at a minimum, hitting your first reflection points on the side walls with some 2" OC 703 spaced off the wall 1-2". This will give you good control, better imaging, and help tame things a little bit from an implulse response perspective.

Then to tame the brightness a bit more and also help control front wall reflections, do the same thing on the front wall at a minimum, behind and between the speakers. Doing the whole wall is not overkill.

W

warnerwh

Full Audioholic
Go to audiocircle.com in the acoustics forum. Also check out realtraps.com, Ethan has diy traps that are easy to build. Room treatment will help alot especially if your problem is brightness from a very reflective room. There's many inexpensive ways to help your room. You need to evaluate what can be done in your particular room. Once you do it you'll never have another untreated room if you can avoid it, it really helps alot. Do some research and find out about one of the most cost effective upgrades you can do.

If you have any diy ability cutting wood and driving nails/screws then you can build some for cheap.

N

naps

Audiophyte
I just got a piece of sample material from the company that makes those expensive beds made of "Visco-elastic"........Tempur-pedic.

This is open-cell foam of some sort, and I wonder if anyone has done any tests for the absorbtion coefficients of this material. It seems like it might work well for bass traps.

Please advise!

N

naps

Audiophyte
in regards to visco-elastic......i guess the general term for it is "memory foam"

it is available as a mattress cover in 2" - 5" depths in normal bed sizes, of course.

price range was between 100 USD and 450 USD. A queen size 3" memory foam mattress pad from http://www.memoryfoamoutlet.com/mattresspadsite.htm
was 199.95......

curious about its absorbtion qualities

N

naps

Audiophyte
also,

check this link for a combination of down feather and 1.5 inch memory foam covered in cotton.

http://bedding-and-bath.smartbargains.com/mattress-pads-and-toppers/novaform-memory-foam-and-down-like-mattress-pad-show.sb

seems like featherbeds could be another cheap alternative for bass trap material

but i just found out about absorbtion coefficients and wonder how feathers would compare to Owens-Corning 700 series or Fibrex 1240 rigid fiberglass at 125 hz and lower.

I make sub-heavy music based on sine and square waves for the basslines and I want to get control of my control room 'quick, dirty, and cheap'.....

Ethan Winer

Ethan Winer

Full Audioholic
Naps,

> Tempur-pedic ... This is open-cell foam of some sort <

If the manufacturer doesn't offer absorption data by frequency, then it's probably not useful material. More relevant, I bet that stuff costs a lot more than rigid fiberglass or even real acoustic foam. So why bother?

--Ethan

N

naps

Audiophyte
i value your opinion. in the two days that i have been researching this, your name has come so many times throughout so many forums.

i agree about the cost difference, and my bet is that it doesn't hold a candle to rigid fiberglass in the lower frequencies where I need it the most.

Ethan, sorry to bug you again, but your thoughts on down or feathers as insulation materials!!! i feel almost ridiculous asking this, but I bet it works.

Ethan Winer

Ethan Winer

Full Audioholic
Naps,

> your thoughts on down or feathers as insulation materials!!! i feel almost ridiculous asking this, but I bet it works. <

I bet it works too. But again, I'm sure that will cost much more than rigid fiberglass.

--Ethan

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis