DIY: Need Technical Help

R

Rene MP

Audiophyte
Hi Guys

I am new here and that's my very first DIY project, I got lots of questions but could solve most of them researching.. the system I want to build is the following:

1 x Sub: 50W
2 x Midbass: 30W
2 x Tweeter: 15W

All of them is (4Ohm), and I am struggling how to wire them. I thought to use a 2.1 AMP - 100W+2*50W, so I can wire the Sub on the mono 100W, and each R and L 50W wiring Midbass+Tweeter in parallel.

I am not sure on what is going to happen basically with the mid+tweeter in parallel (plus crossovers)... do you guys see any problem on this configuration, as theis wattage is different? Should I use any resistor to balance or to sum up some impedance to avoid problems?

I really don know what I need to do here, need somebody to tell me that I am going in a good/bad way and what I need to do in order this system is good.

Thank you very much!

Rene

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Hi Guys

I am new here and that's my very first DIY project, I got lots of questions but could solve most of them researching.. the system I want to build is the following:

1 x Sub: 50W
2 x Midbass: 30W
2 x Tweeter: 15W

All of them is (4Ohm), and I am struggling how to wire them. I thought to use a 2.1 AMP - 100W+2*50W, so I can wire the Sub on the mono 100W, and each R and L 50W wiring Midbass+Tweeter in parallel.

I am not sure on what is going to happen basically with the mid+tweeter in parallel (plus crossovers)... do you guys see any problem on this configuration, as theis wattage is different? Should I use any resistor to balance or to sum up some impedance to avoid problems?

I really don know what I need to do here, need somebody to tell me that I am going in a good/bad way and what I need to do in order this system is good.

Thank you very much!

Rene
When dealing with DIY speaker designs, you should either use someone else's tried-and-true design (there are several mentioned in this thread, to scratch the surface), or devote lots of time and effort to learn how and why speakers work.

Recommended reading:

"Crossovers 101" -- Dennis Murphy
"Building a DIY Speaker: Crossover Design" -- Joel Foust
For some examples of the improvements resulting from crossover mods, murphyblaster.com
Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms -- Dr. Floyd Toole

Useful design freeware
Useful woofer / subwoofer enclosure modelling freeware
useful hardware
measurement freeware and microphone with a getting started guide

Then pretty much get started proving 1,000 ways not to make your designs work before finding your secret sauce.

In the meantime, the best way to salvage your current project is probably going to be by using a DSP for an active crossover. You're planning to build stereo bookshelfs with each mid + tweet, then put the subwoofer driver into a third standalone cabinet, right? The subwoofer can be modeled pretty easily with WinISD and low-passed with a plate amp. The bookshelfs, on the other hand, will be the bigger challenge. They will most likely best be tuned with a miniDSP 2x4 and four channels of amplification -- one for each driver. Or if it's not too late, return them and buy a kit from an experienced designer. Best of luck!

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis