DIY LCD monitor fix

H

habman6

Enthusiast
Hello,

My uncle's LCD monitor has been going downhill lately. At first there were pink lines that went down the screen vertically (they were dynamic - i.e., not dead pixels). They showed up mostly when moving objects were being displayed across the affected region. I checked to see if it was a video card issue. It was not, since the same occurs when I plug in cable for a TV signal (directly to the monitor, with the computer off), or plug in a camera to the monitor to display pictures. Recently, it stopped working altogether; no image shows up and it is all black.

He asked if I wanted it, since he is going to upgrade monitors anyways. I figure I'd take a look and see if I can fix it, since its a pretty good monitor (24inch NEC).

I have never worked with monitors so this should be a good learning experience, if anything. Does anyone have any ideas about what I should check first based on the facts above?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Hello,

My uncle's LCD monitor has been going downhill lately. At first there were pink lines that went down the screen vertically (they were dynamic - i.e., not dead pixels). They showed up mostly when moving objects were being displayed across the affected region. I checked to see if it was a video card issue. It was not, since the same occurs when I plug in cable for a TV signal (directly to the monitor, with the computer off), or plug in a camera to the monitor to display pictures. Recently, it stopped working altogether; no image shows up and it is all black.

He asked if I wanted it, since he is going to upgrade monitors anyways. I figure I'd take a look and see if I can fix it, since its a pretty good monitor (24inch NEC).

I have never worked with monitors so this should be a good learning experience, if anything. Does anyone have any ideas about what I should check first based on the facts above?
Buy another. Fixing an LCD generally costs more than a new one.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello,

How old is it?

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I was just hoping I could fool around with it for educational purposes.
Well in that case please ensure that its plugged in before disassembly. I always learn the fastest after the right side of my body goes numb. :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Probably can't be fixed by a human. These things normally require a machine to repair them. I know, because my previous company made these machines. If you were lucky, it might just be something loose that needed a little resolder/reseat but chances are that isn't it. The traces are on the glass, and repairing things like that aren't simple.

robot

robot

Junior Audioholic
it is no doubt repairable, but without any diagnostic equipment or electronics knowledge you are pretty much limited to looking for bulging capacitors or burnt looking components. Electrolytic capacitors (especially cheap ones) will overheat and start to bulge over time. This is a very common failure with electronic devices.

There are a few threads here and there on the internet regarding specific failures that certain models are prone to. If you don't find one of those you're pretty much only looking for bloated capacitors. I say take a look and see what you find!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis