DIY Audio for bathroom suite & bedroom

H

HTnewbie

Junior Audioholic
DIY Audio system for bathroom suite & bedroom

We are gutting & redoing our master bathroom suite and dressing rooms. It's a good sized space (big house). We will be going down to the studs, will have the ceilings open so access will not be an issue. We will be rewiring all the plumbing and high voltage as well (the pros will be doing that stuff).

So I want to install a distributed audio system covering the master bedroom, his toilet, his & her dressing spaces, shower and main bathroom (6 zones). Our needs are casual meaning the system does not need to be of audiophile quality. We will never be playing two sources in different "zones" but I would like to be able to adjust volume from each zone "locally".

The smaller zones will be too small to use two speaker stereo so I will likely install single R/L channel speakers. Sources will be wall-mounted TV, tuner (receiver) and possibly my SONOS system that's distributed over the first floor of the house.

For my simple needs/usage I can't justify the $s for a Nuvo, Russound or other high-end system. My initial inclination is to run my limited sources through a wall-mounted source switch into a signal-sensing 12-channel amp. The amp's outputs will be run to each zone into a wall-mounted volume control feeding ceiling-mounted speakers. I am posting because I am open to suggestions.

I am handy enough to run all the low voltage, install the speakers, etc. I am looking for ideas from those who have "been there". Are there serious negatives to the simple setup I described above. Or, is A-bus better for this setup? Or, should I keep it real simple and just expand the SONOS system inputing the TV and a tuner into a couple of ZP100s and buy another controller?

I am trying to keep the budget reasonable to please guide me.

Thanks.

Tom

J

JBthatsme

Enthusiast
hard to keep on a small budget with a project like that!

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
DIY Audio system for bathroom suite & bedroom

We are gutting & redoing our master bathroom suite and dressing rooms. It's a good sized space (big house). We will be going down to the studs, will have the ceilings open so access will not be an issue. We will be rewiring all the plumbing and high voltage as well (the pros will be doing that stuff).

So I want to install a distributed audio system covering the master bedroom, his toilet, his & her dressing spaces, shower and main bathroom (6 zones). Our needs are casual meaning the system does not need to be of audiophile quality. We will never be playing two sources in different "zones" but I would like to be able to adjust volume from each zone "locally".

The smaller zones will be too small to use two speaker stereo so I will likely install single R/L channel speakers. Sources will be wall-mounted TV, tuner (receiver) and possibly my SONOS system that's distributed over the first floor of the house.

For my simple needs/usage I can't justify the $s for a Nuvo, Russound or other high-end system. My initial inclination is to run my limited sources through a wall-mounted source switch into a signal-sensing 12-channel amp. The amp's outputs will be run to each zone into a wall-mounted volume control feeding ceiling-mounted speakers. I am posting because I am open to suggestions.

I am handy enough to run all the low voltage, install the speakers, etc. I am looking for ideas from those who have "been there". Are there serious negatives to the simple setup I described above. Or, is A-bus better for this setup? Or, should I keep it real simple and just expand the SONOS system inputing the TV and a tuner into a couple of ZP100s and buy another controller?

I am trying to keep the budget reasonable to please guide me.

Thanks.

Tom
Actually, I think it would be awesome to make this a high level audiophile system. Imagine relaxing in the warm bath with some rose petals, listening to a chamber orchestra that sounds real..... :)

Budget be damned, sir! :)

-Chris

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis