Dispute over Flagpole

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Homeowner's Association...FTL.

As far as I'm concerned, Medal of Honor winners get a pass for damn near anything.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I wonder how different the situation would be if it were a celebrity instead :mad:

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The people in charge of the HOA are probably the same people that had their underwear run up the flagpole in high school, and now they are exerting the small amount of "power" granted to them in their later years to help fight their flashbacks.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_T._Barfoot

Medal of Honor citation
Second Lieutenant Barfoot's official Medal of Honor citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty on 23 May 1944, near Carano, Italy. With his platoon heavily engaged during an assault against forces well entrenched on commanding ground, 2d Lt. Barfoot (then Tech. Sgt.) moved off alone upon the enemy left flank. He crawled to the proximity of 1 machinegun nest and made a direct hit on it with a hand grenade, killing 2 and wounding 3 Germans. He continued along the German defense line to another machinegun emplacement, and with his tommygun killed 2 and captured 3 soldiers. Members of another enemy machinegun crew then abandoned their position and gave themselves up to Sgt. Barfoot. Leaving the prisoners for his support squad to pick up, he proceeded to mop up positions in the immediate area, capturing more prisoners and bringing his total count to 17. Later that day, after he had reorganized his men and consolidated the newly captured ground, the enemy launched a fierce armored counterattack directly at his platoon positions. Securing a bazooka, Sgt. Barfoot took up an exposed position directly in front of 3 advancing Mark VI tanks. From a distance of 75 yards his first shot destroyed the track of the leading tank, effectively disabling it, while the other 2 changed direction toward the flank. As the crew of the disabled tank dismounted, Sgt. Barfoot killed 3 of them with his tommygun. He continued onward into enemy terrain and destroyed a recently abandoned German fieldpiece with a demolition charge placed in the breech. While returning to his platoon position, Sgt. Barfoot, though greatly fatigued by his Herculean efforts, assisted 2 of his seriously wounded men 1,700 yards to a position of safety. Sgt. Barfoot's extraordinary heroism, demonstration of magnificent valor, and aggressive determination in the face of pointblank fire are a perpetual inspiration to his fellow soldiers
Barfoot is one of the country's last living World War II veterans who received the Medal of Honor. He also served in the Korean War and the Vietnam War and earned a Purple Heart. He reached the rank of colonel before retiring from the Army.
somebody give him a grenade and a tommygun.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
He served his country with honor and sacrificed much in that service and it seems all that he is asking for in return is for a flagpole to raise the American flag. I don't think that is to much to ask for, he did so much in one day that most people will never do in their lifetime. As a member of a military family that has served this country in almost every major war from WWI to the present I take offense to the way these morons disregard this veteran if it was not for him and many others like him including members of my family there would be no America or the freedoms we enjoy, so in closing let him have his flagpole he has earned that right a hundred times over.

jinjuku

jinjuku

That is what you get for fighting for other peoples freedom:

The ability for them later to start an HOA and deny you your freedoms.

Most likely the HOA board is made up of decedents of the Germans he didn't send to the big Reich in the sky .

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
We need to find out who's in charge at that place and write a letter here with signatures, blasting them for their stupidity, and informing them of the reason he received that medal. This is BS and a major reason I will never live in a place with a HOA. IMO, HOA stands for 'Hoard of A-Holes', not 'Home Owner's Association.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Are you kidding me? This man is the reason you have an HOA.

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
is it a house or a town house or condo, it just said his front yard... that does not mean 100% its a house.. in my association whcih i was a board member we dont allow poles to be installed in the ground but we encourage people to install them on the frame along sinde their garage door..

now we have to be this specific because there are alot of idiots out there who will mount them to the siding or other flimsy matieral.

I dont think as an association we could stop someone from putting something up as long as we had a solution.. but we can control where.

the other hard part is we allow US flags but not other flags nor college foot ball team flags.. just the US flag

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
IMO, HOA stands for 'Hoard of A-Holes', not 'Home Owner's Association.
LMAO!!!

Nice one Highfi.

In a way I'm not surprised.

Its like the fight club mentality, people that would be part of such groups like the HOA are sheltered and convinced they know everything. Until you experience such extremely adverse environments and situations like those that you are exposed to during military service, and are yourself tested and proven, its only then that you have a changed world view.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
LMAO!!!

Nice one Highfi.

In a way I'm not surprised.

Its like the fight club mentality, people that would be part of such groups like the HOA are sheltered and convinced they know everything. Until you experience such extremely adverse environments and situations like those that you are exposed to during military service, and are yourself tested and proven, its only then that you have a changed world view.
Breaking the first rule aren't we.;)

highfigh

highfigh

Are you kidding me? This man is the reason you have an HOA.
I don't have a HOA and if my neighborhood ever decides that one will be formed, I'm outta here. I grew up here, left and moved back. The houses don't look alike and if the city ever says that they should, I'll make it my life's mission to have all of them voted out of office. We have enough rules about what we can and can't do here, most having to do with some fee or another so they can regulate what is done and knowing when it's done so they can raise the taxes for that property. I can't do my own electrical wiring, even if I demonstrate knowledge of the NEC and demonstrate proficiency. These two were lacking when the licensed electrician wired my garage in '04, too. He never pulled a permit, either, and it cost me over $300 to bring it up to code. I can't have a fire ring, even if it's gas. WTF? It's not like the neighborhood will burn down. I can't pour a 10'x12' patio without a permit. Apparently, that will throw the tax base off balance.

highfigh

highfigh

is it a house or a town house or condo, it just said his front yard... that does not mean 100% its a house.. in my association whcih i was a board member we dont allow poles to be installed in the ground but we encourage people to install them on the frame along sinde their garage door..

now we have to be this specific because there are alot of idiots out there who will mount them to the siding or other flimsy matieral.

I dont think as an association we could stop someone from putting something up as long as we had a solution.. but we can control where.

the other hard part is we allow US flags but not other flags nor college foot ball team flags.. just the US flag
I fail to see how putting up an American flag should cause a problem. If the methods are inferior, maybe the common area fees can cover having it done right but if anyone said that they don't want one at all, they should go to another country. College football flags really don't matter much- all they do is show that someone likes a team. The fact that they may have gone to that school is nice but beyond showing school or team loyalty, that's all it does with the possible exception of possibly causing fans of other teams to remove it and replace it with something crude or the flag of their rival. I think most people would have a bit of trouble seeing someone removing an American flag and replacing it with the flag of another country.

How does a college football team's flag possibly approach the US flag in importance?

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
I'm pretty sure everyone on that HOA board has some sort of mental illness.

Polygon

Polygon

Audioholic
I can't say much more than what's already been said but you would think that a senator could just tell the HOA to eat a **** and get them off his back.

Either way what they're doing is absurd.

majorloser

majorloser

Not only should he be allowed to have a flag pole, but there should be a bugler present to play reveille and taps every day. LOUD

And his flag needs to be one of those monster flags they display at car dealerships.

How freakin' dare they say the American flag doesn't meet the neighborhood’s "aesthetic guidelines". Somebody needs a foot in the a$$. :mad:

I live in an HOA. But it's full of current or retired military. They wouldn't even think about it.

M

mudrummer99

Senior Audioholic
He single handedly took out what equates to nearly an entire company in battle, if he wants to poo on his front lawn every morning, he has most certainly earned that right. What has anyone associated with this HOA accomplished in their lives?

Mike

Matt34

Matt34

Not only should he be allowed to have a flag pole, but there should be a bugler present to play reveille and taps every day. LOUD

And his flag needs to be one of those monster flags they display at car dealerships.

How freakin' dare they say the American flag doesn't meet the neighborhood’s "aesthetic guidelines". Somebody needs a foot in the a$$. :mad:

I live in an HOA. But it's full of current or retired military. They wouldn't even think about it.

If I was his neighbor I would raise the flag for him every morning and take it down every evening....it's the least any of us could do. Even the flag pole itself has history and lore in the military.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis