Display information

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
How old is your display? What brand is it? What technology is it? How large is it? Any particular problem? Did you suffer any repairs during the first 12 months?

I'm trying to formulate a reliability/MTBF source.

Thanks guys for all input.

mytzen

mytzen

Audioholic
I bought a Samsung HL-S5086W in July 06, so its about 20 month old. Its a 50 inch DLP and I haven't had any problems with it.

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
I had a Pioneer PDP 5016 plasma I bought on Black Friday of '06 that I just sold in order to pick up a Pioneer Elite 1150. Both are 50" plasmas. No problems with either one, although I have only had the Elite about 3 weeks. I don't know if you want info on front pjs, but I have an Optoma HD72 I got about a year ago. No problems with it, either.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Samsung LN-T5271F, 52" LCD. Bought in Jan '08. No repairs yet, but it seems to have some motion blur and a bit of "3 ball effect" (probably there all along, and I'm just noticing it). Samsung says (via phone) that its not possible for it to have either of those and that I'm mistaken. Otherwise, everythings fine.

In 2006 I had a 37" Vizio VX37L Lcd. Defective picture on 1st (weird colors and picture was dirty and unfocused). 2nd developed picture problems after a month or so.

Also Vizio GV42L, 42" lcd (2007). Worked great for a month then pq issues. Factory replaced it and it worked great for ~a year, then started to drop channels. You'd have to rescan everyother day for new channels in order to watch tv. Otherwise worked fine.

Jack

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I'm using a Samsung LNS-4092, 40" LCD, 720p/1080i. No issues in 18 months of ownership.

Also have a Samsung LNR-267, 26" LCD. Original replaced under warranty just under one year old for black vertical lines through image. Replacement isn't very good, odd color tones that make it near impossible to look good.

AUtiger

AUtiger

Junior Audioholic
Sony Wega 42" lcd rear proj. owned since x-mas 2006 no problems. But can't wait to upgrade to larger, ??? format

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Sony SXRD (LCoS) rear projection 50" HDTV, 14 months old. Great picture, very happy with purchase . . . initially. No problems during the first 12 months, but on the 13th month (one measly month out of warranty -- grrr) the screen went black -- told it was a faulty a lamp driver. Sony said that, since it's out of warranty, they won't cover the whole thing, but that they would "help out" with the repair bill. We'll see.

cheers,
supervij

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
mitsu 57 dlp, 1 year old-1 bulb down, but no other issues- sharp 37 lcd panel 1.5 years old no issues- sharp 23 lcd panel 6 years old color has started to shift.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
How old is your display? What brand is it? What technology is it? How large is it? Any particular problem? Did you suffer any repairs during the first 12 months?

I'm trying to formulate a reliability/MTBF source.

Thanks guys for all input.
You are never going to get enough information from a thread like this one to be able to form a reasonable judgment of how reliable different brands and types are. My advice is to look at what Consumer Reports has to say about this subject, as they gather information from thousands of people on these kinds of things.

But since you asked, I have a Toshiba 42" LCD that I bought in January, and so far there are no troubles.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
You are never going to get enough information from a thread like this one to be able to form a reasonable judgment of how reliable different brands and types are. My advice is to look at what Consumer Reports has to say about this subject, as they gather information from thousands of people on these kinds of things.

But since you asked, I have a Toshiba 42" LCD that I bought in January, and so far there are no troubles.
I understand, more than anything else it's an informal study on a select sample of subjects with hands on experience and an above average understanding of A/V.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
6 month old Mits DLP, 73'' no issues, awesome PQ.

1 year old Panny plasma, 50'', no issues, Awesome PQ.

2 year old LG LCD, 37'', no issues, awesome computer monitor.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
50 inch Samsung DLP purchased June 2005. Replaced bulb last summer ($175 delivered) no other issues.

32 inch Samsung DLP in my son's room. No issues.

30 inch Toshiba HD tube in den. No issues.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
displays

media room: Mitsubishi WS-55813 Diamond RPTV 55" CRT 5yrs no problems
den:Vizio VX37L 37 " LCD 1yr no problems

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Mitsubishi, 60" CRT, going on 13 years, no problems what-so-ever.

annunaki

annunaki

34" Sony HD ready XBR CRT owned for 4 months no issues (set is used and 5 yrs. old I believe)

32" JVC D-series CRT SDTV owned since 2002, no problems.

(Knocks on wood.)

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
I have a Samsung HL-S6187W 1080p DLP TV. I bought it in October '06 and I'm still on the original bulb. No problems at all save for the typical bowing issue. It's a very slight upwards bowing on the right side of the screen. Whenever I'm watching ESPN, the text from the BottomLine always moves diagonally down from right to left. But apparently I'm the only one who can notice this in my house.

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
I have an 06 Samsung HL-P6163 61” DLP HDTV with the original bulb and no bowing problems.

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
I have a panasonic PTL50C13, it's about 5 years old give or take.

Never any problems with it whatsoever (so far :p)

What does PQ mean?

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
^ PQ = Picture Quality

I have a Panasonic TH-42PZ77u 42" plasma that I purchased in November (I think) 07. I have had no problems with it and the picture quality is excellent.

I also have a Sanyo 27" CRT in a bedroom that was purchased in 2001 and has been completely trouble free.

Finally, I have yet another Sanyo 19" CRT from 1977. After 31 years it still has a great picture (I've calibrated it a couple times) and it has never had any repairs.

All of these sets have seen rather heavy use. During the oldest sets tenure of roughly 24 years as the main TV it was used for 8-10 hours daily. The same goes for the other sets, though obviously they haven't been around that long.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis