Disappointed in Dark Knight Sound

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Watched the SD version on my bedroom system and was impressed by the video and sound, then watched the blu ray version on my main system last night as was completely blown away by both the audio and picture quality. I did check the setup menu right away to make sure I was getting TrueHD, and good thing I checked otherwise it would have been the standard DD track. I wish all blu ray discs would default their audio tracks to the highest quality track.
I'm pretty sure Warner Bros is retarded.:D

I mean if the default is TrueHD and you don't have TrueHD, then your processor will just play DD anyway, right?:eek:

I mean TrueHD is backward-compatible, right?

I guess Warner assumes that most of us who spend all this money on blu-ray and home theater w/ TrueHD/DTS-HD processors would just prefer DD.:eek:

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not arguing with you here.

I mean if the default is TrueHD and you don't have TrueHD, then your processor will just play DD anyway, right?:eek:
As long as its accompanied by the legacy track. I don't know how it all works though, as far as the player & receiver communicating with each other so that they know the DD should be sent. I believe I remember allargon saying that not all T-HD tracks are accompanied by the legacy track, however. :eek:

So, with the above mind, I guess I have to say no? I would guess its less backward compatible than DTS-MA where the core stream still works fine.

I guess Warner assumes that most of us who spend all this money on blu-ray and home theater w/ TrueHD/DTS-HD processors would just prefer DD.:eek:
Seriously. But, when you see how difficult all this newfangled stuff is for many consumers who are not obsessed the way we are . . . I can see why they might think the way they do . . .

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
But, when you see how difficult all this newfangled stuff is for many consumers who are not obsessed the way we are . . . I can see why they might think the way they do . . .
**hee**hee

Yeah, sometimes I totally forget how obsessed we are with this stuff.:D

The other day my mother-in-law said, "I want to buy one of those older square TVs.":D

I said, "What? I don't think they even make them anymore".:D

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai

Back in the old days with HD DVD if the movie had a TrueHD track and you didn't have HDMI or analog you would get no sound by selecting that track. You had to specifically choose the DD+ track in order to get sound through optical. As of right now only DTS-HD/MA is the only one that has the core DTS track within the encoding. If you don't have a TrueHD compatible receiver you have to select the DD track in order to get sound.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
I just watched The Dark Knight on BD and even though I thought the movie overall was really good, I was really disappointed in the sound. The opening credits were almost silent, just some background unintelligible whispers until the first IMAX scene. Even then the dialogue seemed muted at best until after those opening scenes.

Visually the movie was incredible, I was never bothered, even once, by the shift between aspect ratios. It was the inconsistencies in audio that really irritated me. In some scenes gunshots were realistic and lively and in other they were muted as if I was tapping them out on my floor. Dialogue was similar, in most scenes it was fine, in others I had to struggle to understand what was being said. I tried backing up and switching between the TrueHD and the regular soundtracks, they were basically the same.

I Really would have thought that with a movie of this caliber the soundmixers would have gone the "extra mile" to have made it right. What a disappointment. Most the problems were in the first half the movie, after that it seemed to level out, thankfully. Overall the sound really seemed to me like it was mixed for a crappy 2 channel tv speaker setup.

Jack
BTW the beginning part where it has the DC comics logo and Legendary films with the Batman fire logo thing are supposed to be silent. The sound doesn't start until the beginning of the IMAX scene.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Back in the old days with HD DVD if the movie had a TrueHD track and you didn't have HDMI or analog you would get no sound by selecting that track. You had to specifically choose the DD+ track in order to get sound through optical. As of right now only DTS-HD/MA is the only one that has the core DTS track within the encoding. If you don't have a TrueHD compatible receiver you have to select the DD track in order to get sound.
As mentioned, not all discs that have TrueHD have an optional DD+ track. I am certain that TDK does however.

BTW the beginning part where it has the DC comics logo and Legendary films with the Batman fire logo thing are supposed to be silent. The sound doesn't start until the beginning of the IMAX scene.
It isn't entirely silent. There is a little background sound that starts to build up slowly just before the opening scene starts. It starts as a little "clicking" that slowly gets louder, and a bit of sound in the background.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
As mentioned, not all discs that have TrueHD have an optional DD+ track. I am certain that TDK does however.
DD+ was an HD DVD thing and you will not find that on BDs. All of the TrueHD BDs that exist today have a DD 5.1 track as well in english unlike the DTS-HD tracks that will only have that although some BDs out there have a DD track alongside the DTS-HD/MA track.

It was mandated by the HD DVD forum that all HD DVDs have to contain at least a DD+ track unless there was a DTS-HD/MA track. That is why you will never find a TrueHD HD DVD without a DD+ track.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There is a secondary English track on TDK in addition to the TrueHD track, though it doesn't say what it is, I presume it is some form of DD. It defaults to this track.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
There is a secondary English track on TDK in addition to the TrueHD track, though it doesn't say what it is, I presume it is some form of DD. It defaults to this track.
It's a standard DD 640kbps track and not DD+.

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
**hee**hee

Yeah, sometimes I totally forget how obsessed we are with this stuff.:D

The other day my mother-in-law said, "I want to buy one of those older square TVs.":D

I said, "What? I don't think they even make them anymore".:D
That's reason enough to never speak to the Mother in law ever again! :mad:

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I thought TDK on Blu-ray was one of the best sounding movies I've ever played on my system - and here's the kicker: My receiver isn't even capable of decoding the lossless formats, so I was stuck with standard DD! :D I can imagine it will only get better once I upgrade of course, but having slowly progressed upwards in upgrades over the past year, it's still better than many previous movies, even Iron Man, which I thought was kicka$$.

I paid attention to the shifting aspect ratios at first only because I knew it was coming, having already seen the thread where folks were talking about it - after the first couple of switches though, I was totally immersed in the story and it didn't even register that it kept switching. :)

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Dark Night Froze at Chapter 21

I decided to rent the Dark Night tonight, it was the 3rd blu-ray I have watched on my new BD-55. Half-way through the movie approx chapter 21 the video froze and the sound cut out and the video scrambled a bit. I used the pop up menu and tried chapter 22 and it played for a few seconds then froze. I tried chapter 23 with no luck and decided to call it quits. I looked at the disk and it looked pretty good, a few blemishes but nothing really bad. I tried my other blu-rays that came with the player and they all worked fine without any issues. I am thinking I have a bad disk? Has anyone else experienced this?

BTW up to that point in the movie I thought the video quality was incredible. I emmeditely changed the audio from the standard DD5.1 to the HD equivalnet from the pop up menu when the movie started. I have to say the audio was great but I was more impressed with the audio from I, Robot up to the point where the movie froze.

If anyone has experienced this with a blu-ray disk before, any help is apprecieated?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I would try to get your FW current, and put the disc on again to see. I've only had one problem disc ever, out of many many many many many many viewings, and it was Sunshine on probably the most ancient version of FW as I never updated for a while. Using a BD-30. I've watched Dark Knight twice already without a single hitch.

Regarding TrueHd tracks, I always turn off auto flagged DRC, just because I do not ever, ever want to experience terrible DRC implementation as I did with the first viewing of Iron Man.

On my Onkyo 805, I have to disable it every time. Takes a sec, since I programmed that into my URC, but the audio cuts for a split sec, which is annoying. If I doing a big movie night, it will be all set to go. This all being said, Minus, I never had any BAD experiences with T-HD tracks before when I had no clue drc was being autoflagged. Just being paranoid.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I was thinking it could be a firmware issue as well. I have already returned the rental disk so I can't test it. It was the first time watching the movie too. I was not blown away with the actual movie but it was starting to get good...then freeze:mad:.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I was thinking it could be a firmware issue as well. I have already returned the rental disk so I can't test it. It was the first time watching the movie too. I was not blown away with the actual movie but it was starting to get good...then freeze:mad:.

I picked up a retail copy today of The Dark Night and had no freezing issues :D. The rental disk must have been defective. I watched the entire movie this time and the Blu-ray version is of great quality in both sound and video. Its annoying audio is set to DD5.1, I had to press the audio button on my remote twice to change it to Dolby truehd:rolleyes:. The video quality is superb but I found the directors decision to constantly change the aspect ratios throughout the movie annoying but the quality is very very good which more than makes up for that.

It is one of the better Batman movies and the different take on the Joker was a good idea but I do not think it is necessarily better than Jacks take on the character, just different.

SPOILER

I was dissapointed they killed off Aaron Eckhart's character (Two-Face). I am a fan of his work and I would have liked to see that character developed more in future movies.
Overall a good movie, a little over-hyped IMO but still a worthy addition to a Blu-ray collection.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The video quality is superb but I found the directors decision to constantly change the aspect ratios throughout the movie annoying but the quality is very very good which more than makes up for that.
It wasn't a "decision" it was because some of the scenes were shot on IMAX film, thus the different aspect ratio.

All you need to do is put the comment in spoiler tags
[ / spoiler]

I was dissapointed they killed off Aaron Eckhart's character (Two-Face). I am a fan of his work and I would have liked to see that character developed more in future movies. Overall a good movie, a little over-hyped IMO but still a worthy addition to a Blu-ray collection.

M

MrPorterhouse

Audioholic Intern
I thought TDK audio was extremely dynamic, which was great for loud explosions and booms, but the dialouge was very soft. This meant that the volume has to be kept fairly close to reference to hear the dialouge. This was a problem for quieter movie watching when the family is sleeping. However, if you can let this movie rip, then its a very aggressive sound design and its awesome.

Rogozhin

Rogozhin

Audioholic
I wasn't that impressed with TDK. The movie itself was okay, pq was very good, but the audio is not as good as I thought it was going to be. :shrug:

Rogo

Rogozhin

Rogozhin

Audioholic
I just started to re-watch TDK and I was wrong-I had to run my subs a 4db hot.

:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I thought the SQ of Dark Knight BD was great, but not among the best - like Wanted or Kill Bill and some others like Bangkok Dangerous BD. Every time they were in the night club, which was frequent:D, I thought my roof was going to come down!:eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis