DirecTV, Powered Speakers, Projector Setup

J

Jordan Friedman

Audioholic Intern
Hi all! So i am setting up an outdoor "theater" to watch the SuperBowl (i have a way to deal with the sunlight). Would love help with my setup!

Equipment List:

Epson Home Cinema 1440
QSC K10 Powered Speakers (two of them, obviously) :D
DirecTV Wireless Genie receiver (to watch the game, hdmi output)
ART MX622 6 Ch (1U) Stereo Mixer
Furman M-8Lx Standard Level Power Conditioning

So...normally, i would just plug my directv box into my receiver via hdmi, receiver into into my projector via hdmi, and then speaker wire to my passive home theater speakers. These powered speakers are giving me a bit of a confusion though!

How do I plug the directv box into the mixer/speakers?

appreciate any advice, thanks!

Little Research: could i hook up a digital to rca converter? seems like there are a a few good ones on Amazon for under $30

Topken

Topken

Junior Audioholic
Does the genie have RCA out by any chance? I know my direct tv box does. Otherwise you might need an audio extractor if the genie only has HDMI out

J

Jordan Friedman

Audioholic Intern
unfortunately genie only has hdmi and a "digital" out

sorry and what looks like an s-video out that says "AV out"

i don't have enough posts yet to send a link of show a photo

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

How do I plug the directv box into the mixer/speakers?

appreciate any advice, thanks!

Little Research: could i hook up a digital to rca converter? seems like there are a a few good ones on Amazon for under $30
You can try that, but I doubt it will work well. Since HDMI carries both audio and video, you’ll need something that converts HDMI to both audio and component video, if you intend to maintain a high-rez picture (S-video is low-rez). I can’t find one that does that and gets good reviews.

Your best bet is to just drag your AVR outdoors with the rest of the gear. It will get you a high-rez video output for the projector and audio output for the QSC’s via the pre-amp out jacks. If your receiver doesn’t have audio pre-amp outputs, you’re totally out of luck.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited:
Topken

Topken

Junior Audioholic
It has HDMI, S-Video, S/PDIF and USB outputs.
If the Genie did have S-Video output then it would have RCA for audio output as well since S-Videio only carries video and NOT Audio.

J

Jordan Friedman

Audioholic Intern
correct...so what's the best setup? =)

J

Jordan Friedman

Audioholic Intern
exactly, that's what i posted in the bottom of my original post.

so i take that rca into the mixer and then the mixer into the speakers. I was confused of how to go from mixer into the speakers though......

alternatively...do i not need the mixer? should i go right into the rca of speakers?

Topken

Topken

Junior Audioholic
Mixer not needed at all if the Speakers have RCA inputs.

Do you already have all these parts? If so hook the speakers to the mixer then use the DAC to go from the Genie to the input on the mixer which should then output audio to both speakers otherwise you would only be able to hook one of the speakers to the Genie without something a RCA Y cable. So the mixer may or may not be needed depending on how the speakers are designed. AKA will they act like separate left and right speakers with the RCA Y cable or will the mixer be needed so that you get proper left and right speakers.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
The RCA is an S/PDIF digital output. Your mixer is analog. It has no DAC so you will need some sort of DAC to convert the digital signal to analog. There will likely be some unusual cabling involved. You can use the HDMI to connect to your TV.

J

Jordan Friedman

Audioholic Intern
yep that's correct! so i was planning on getting the KSC K10's which do have an RCA input which i believe i plug into of the speakers and then just plug that speaker into the other speaker? sorry my first entry with powered speakers =(

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

So you’re going to use the Genie’s S-video output for your projector?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

J

Jordan Friedman

Audioholic Intern
nope, as of now i think i may keep it "simple"...

projector->hdmi into integra receiver->receiver to my passive home theater speakers

ill do the powered speaker route another time when i do more research.

Topken

Topken

Junior Audioholic
There is apparently an optional cable for the smaller Genie box that will allow for Composite or component output that would easily net you RCA output for the powered speaker setup. I would get a hold of direct tv and see if you can't get your hands on one of those dongles.

Place where I found said info

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/29/directv-genie-whole-home-dvr-review/

Otherwise the other converter box I linked to should work to get audio out to the powered speakers

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis