Direction of Surround sound Speakers and Other placement

saurabh

saurabh

Audioholic
hi,

Pls see my room layout attchd with dimensions. The height of my room is 9.5 ft and I cannot change the layout much except for bringing the TV to the left slightly so that its more in line of sight with the Sofa. I will leave 20%(as suggested by an acoustic engineer) of the total length from the ceiling (2 ft) and fix the surround speakers there(i.e. 7.5 above the floor level). I will use wall mounts on the sofa back wall (opposite the TV)and then can direct the speakers either towards the TV or towards each other. The surround speakers are monopole/direct radiating. My questions now are :

a) In which direction should I point the surround speakers (red or green).

b) Any other speaker placement suggestions ????

Attachments

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
saurabh said:
hi,

Pls see my room layout attchd with dimensions. The height of my room is 9.5 ft and I cannot change the layout much except for bringing the TV to the left slightly so that its more in line of sight with the Sofa. I will leave 20%(as suggested by an acoustic engineer) of the total length from the ceiling (2 ft) and fix the surround speakers there(i.e. 7.5 above the floor level). I will use wall mounts on the sofa back wall (opposite the TV)and then can direct the speakers either towards the TV or towards each other. The surround speakers are monopole/direct radiating. My questions now are :

a) In which direction should I point the surround speakers (red or green).

b) Any other speaker placement suggestions ????
Tough postition. I'd suggest the speakers facing the couch, green.

plhart

Audioholic
I can only give you options not solutions:

Try positioning the surrounds toward the listening position and up toward the ceiling. Play with the specific angle of ceiling-to-speaker as you listen from your sofa.

If the sound is too localizable to the ceiling, and it may be, then simply aim the surrounds toward each other. The surrounds, as positioned, are asymmetrical since one surround has a wall behind it and the other doesn't. So that position may not work either.

The real problem here are 1) that you have your couch up against a wall and close to a corner. There is a very high probability that your bass will be overly boosted and "swamp" the effects of the surrounds. If you can move your sofa out a minimum of 18" (but preferably more) you'll have a heck of a lot more luck in a) decreasing the overwhelming bass bump which will allow b) you to even hear the monopole surrounds enough to worry about their surround effect. 2) The ratio of distances of the fronts vs. surrounds will make balancing the front vs. surround effect very difficult and probably even require changing the front-to-rear balance on a DVD-by-DVD basis. Good luck.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
I'd switch the sofa and the system. If not then as said above,try surrounds pointing to ceiling.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Did you try putting your left front speaker to the left of the door, in line with your rear left speaker? They appear a little too close to each other for optimal spacial effect. You can still point them towards your listening position. After experimenting with that sound, I'd then direct the surrounds at the front wall first, then at each other. Make sure to set your distances on the receiver properly.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis