P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Seriously?
?? That website is, imo, and as far as I know, one of the best available on the internet in terms of being informative without much misinformation, not without bias, but still the best relative to others.

A

asere

Audioholic
What is Dirac ART? Is it implemented on avr's?

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

O

OCA

Enthusiast
What is Dirac ART? Is it implemented on avr's?

It's Dirac's new "Active Room Treatment" system where speakers in the system play time aligned inverted signals to cancel out standing waves produced by the woofers in the room. Only Stormaudio amps currently have it. Some top of the line Marantz/Denon AVRs will also get it as a paid upgrade but no earlier than 2024.

A

asere

Audioholic
It's Dirac's new "Active Room Treatment" system where speakers in the system play time aligned inverted signals to cancel out standing waves produced by the woofers in the room. Only Stormaudio amps currently have it. Some top of the line Marantz/Denon AVRs will also get it as a paid upgrade but no earlier than 2024.
How much better is ART compared to having DLBC?

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic

The people who have tried it, seem to rave about it.

Best way to get an understanding is to read the StormAudio threads, as it is currently available only on the StormAudio AVP's ... so that's where you will find the feedback.

O

OCA

Enthusiast

I didn't hear it myself and I read only very positive comments so far but I have seen waterfall graps with and without ART and ringing in the room seemed to have decreased substantially according to these graphs. However, the performance will change from room to room and system to system. Some people think it requires full band surround speakers to perform its best.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
?? That website is, imo, and as far as I know, one of the best available on the internet in terms of being informative without much misinformation, not without bias, but still the best relative to others.
Maybe I was too hasty, and perhaps some of the associated articles would flesh it out....will check them out further (hadn't heard of them before, tho).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe I was too hasty, and perhaps some of the associated articles would flesh it out....will check them out further (hadn't heard of them before, tho).
I believe they also sell something like Ratbuddyssey that makes the Editor app much easier to use. I never bother with that because I am fine with Ratbuddyssey that is a free ware, but it could be difficult to use by the users no so computer savvy.

A

asere

Audioholic
Interesting, I emailed Dirac Live and asked about which receivers will have ART, and they said they can't comment on that. I would need to wait until after this summer for announcements from the manufacturers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I believe they also sell something like Ratbuddyssey that makes the Editor app much easier to use. I never bother with that because I am fine with Ratbuddyssey that is a free ware, but it could be difficult to use by the users no so computer savvy.
I was looking for more technical details and the rating system out of 10 I thought a bit weird.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
Interesting, I emailed Dirac Live and asked about which receivers will have ART, and they said they can't comment on that. I would need to wait until after this summer for announcements from the manufacturers.

Yes, it's not up to Dirac - it's up to the manufacturers...

Dirac has made it clear that an AVR capable of DLBC, would technically be capable of ART - as long as the manufacturer does the necessary integration to enable it for ART.

So we can easily identify the prime contenders for ART - it's all the ones that are (or have promised to become) DLBC capable.

It is yet to be seen how many people will be willing to pay the steep price of the full Dirac suite to get ART on a device that has no Dirac licencing at all (eg: Arcam, Denon, Marantz) - at an additional US$1100 - that is doubling the price of the low end AVR's (X3800)... and a substantial impost even on the high end AVR's/AVP's. (but at that end of the market, less of an issue)

O

OCA

Enthusiast

Dirac has made it clear that an AVR capable of DLBC, would technically be capable of ART - as long as the manufacturer does the necessary integration to enable it for ART.

So we can easily identify the prime contenders for ART - it's all the ones that are (or have promised to become) DLBC capable.

It is yet to be seen how many people will be willing to pay the steep price of the full Dirac suite to get ART on a device that has no Dirac licencing at all (eg: Arcam, Denon, Marantz) - at an additional US$1100 - that is doubling the price of the low end AVR's (X3800)... and a substantial impost even on the high end AVR's/AVP's. (but at that end of the market, less of an issue)
On a more technical note, all the models with the new dual core ADSP-21593 chip will be capable of Dirac ART:

Screenshot 2023-07-19 092816.jpg

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

If they had put Dirac ART in these AVRs, would their original prices be $1100 more to begin with?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I was looking for more technical details and the rating system out of 10 I thought a bit weird.
They don't get too much into the technical details, and to me any such subjective evaluation (including the out of 10 type) are useless. One of the reasons I thought it was the best available for free reading is that it summarized the difference and pros and cons between the 3 popular RC (Audyssey, Dirac Live, Yamaha's) nicely, 80% aligned with my own that is based on my extensive reading and my own user experience (except YPAO that I have not used in recent years). Like most people, I am biased, to some extent but I do try hard to force myself to be as objective as possible. Still, naturally people tend to agree with others who seem to be saying something similar to what they would say too.

If you have read it, read it again and I would be curious to know which part you don't agree (as said, I agree 80%, or more...):

Dirac Live vs Audyssey vs YPAO R.S.C. – Simple Home Cinema

Example of why I think it is good: How often do we see people who just regurgitate the false information, based on hearsay, that DL is better than Audyssey because it deals with the time domain, not just frequency, and that Audyssey kills the bass (true only in a narrow sense)? That's just one example, but to me, this website contributed to counter some/many of the misconception about the two popular RC software that flooded audio forums over the years, and such hearsay help converted such misinformation to misconception, or pseudo facts (perceived) at best.

They also provide more detailed guides, that I don't know how good it is, but based on everything they have said about those RC systems, I am hopeful that they will be good enough to consider them relatively accurate, more reliable than those written by forum members who have good intentions, but some may not be accurate enough to be followed by the not too technically oriented users to get the best possible results.

Last edited:
A

asere

Audioholic
They don't get too much into the technical details, and to me any such subjective evaluation (including the out of 10 type) are useless. One of the reasons I thought it was the best available for free reading is that it summarized the difference and pros and cons between the 3 popular RC (Audyssey, Dirac Live, Yamaha's) nicely, 80% aligned with my own that is based on my extensive reading and my own user experience (except YPAO that I have not used in recent years). Like most people, I am biased, to some extent but I do try hard to force myself to be as objective as possible. Still, naturally people tend to agree with others who seem to be saying something similar to what they would say too.

If you have read it, read it again and I would be curious to know which part you don't agree (as said, I agree 80%, or more...):

Dirac Live vs Audyssey vs YPAO R.S.C. – Simple Home Cinema

Example of why I think it is good: How often do we see people who just regurgitate the false information, based on hearsay, that DL is better than Audyssey because it deals with the time domain, not just frequency, and that Audyssey kills the bass (true only in a narrow sense)? That's just one example, but to me, this website contributed to counter some/many of the misconception about the two popular RC software that flooded audio forums over the years, and such hearsay help converted such misinformation to misconception, or pseudo facts (perceived) at best.

They also provide more detailed guides, that I don't know how good it is, but based on everything they have said about those RC systems, I am hopeful that they will be good enough to consider them relatively accurate, more reliable than those written by forum members who have good intentions, but some may not be accurate enough to be followed by the not too technically oriented users to get the best possible results.
I agree with the article on what it says on loudness management. Having that on XT32 is a plus for me. You can listen at a lower level and not lose much impact/dialog.

A

asere

Audioholic
On a more technical note, all the models with the new dual core ADSP-21593 chip will be capable of Dirac ART:

View attachment 62638
I tried looking up the LX805 but couldn't find the spec that could actually support DL ART.
Is there any news on the LX805?

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
I tried looking up the LX805 but couldn't find the spec that could actually support DL ART.
Is there any news on the LX805?

No, there's unlikely to be any news until Storm Audio's exclusivity regarding DL ART ends later this year.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
I agree with the article on what it says on loudness management. Having that on XT32 is a plus for me. You can listen at a lower level and not lose much impact/dialog.

Just a reminder that loudness management is also part of the licence / suite with Dolby Surround, as well as THX....

So depending on the AVR manufacturers policy, if they have DSU, they can have Loudness Management, and if they are THX certified, they may also have THX's version thereof.

An AVR with Audyssey, may have 3 seperate loudness management systems... depending on how they have chosen to integrate ....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis