Dipoles,Bipoles and Monopoles..

Goat1

Goat1

Audioholic
I'm looking to figure out which surround is best. If you go dipole,do you need 7.1 at all? My room is 25L X 10W X 8H. I don't really do any multichannel music,only 2 channel. I've searched and read anything I could find on the subject,but I would more than welcome opinions on the subject.. Thank you..

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure what you are asking? The speakers are configured that way to give you a diffused sound, not replace other speakers. You can use bi/dipoles in 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1. I personally prefer monopole surrounds.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I agree with j. The question seems a bit unclear. Are you asking about using two bipole/dipole speakers instead of monopoles and if doing so will make it so you don't need the whole 5 or 7 channel setup?

Goat1

Goat1

Audioholic
I'm doing 7.1 right now. Martin logan EM ESL's ,ML C2 for center,def tech sr 8040's for sides and ML motion 4's for rears. I'm wondering if I should use dipoles on the sides or add motion 4's to the sides?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can do bi/dipole for sides an monopoles for rears, but it kind of depends on your seating and where you plan to mount. If you sit right up against the wall, I wouldn't even do 7.1. If you have room behind you then you could go with either monopoles or dipoles out back and dipoles on the sides.

Goat1

Goat1

Audioholic
I have about 8-9 ft behind me. So you think I should go Dipoles all around?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't need 7.1 at all and my speakers are mono-pole, not bipole or dipole or any-pole. :D

I wouldn't waste any money on dipole/bipole.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have about 8-9 ft behind me. So you think I should go Dipoles all around?
With no empirical testing, I would say I just don't like the idea of dipole rears. The radiating pattern of dipole just doesn't seem to be optimal for a speaker behind you.

On the other hand for the surrounds dioles will give you greater coverage and a more diffuse sound which is likely advantageous. I have heard monopole, dipole, and bipole surrounds but all of the setups were so different that I couldn't really draw any conclusions.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Monopole rears, dipole sides or monopoles all around. Heck, I went back to 5.1 and I have about 5 ft behind me. Still sounds great :)

Goat1

Goat1

Audioholic
I'm just not sure if I would lose rear coverage with monopoles,meaning if I had them on the sides in 5.1. I'd have to buy another set of motion 4's do to 7.1.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
It's my understanding that dipoles are to be used as sides and not rears. The speaker is built to have the sound bounce off the walls giving a fuller, theater type experience. So if you use dipoles as sides, you wouldn't need to do 7.1. 5.1 with dipoles would give the same affect.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It's my understanding that dipoles are to be used as sides and not rears. The speaker is built to have the sound bounce off the walls giving a fuller, theater type experience. So if you use dipoles as sides, you wouldn't need to do 7.1. 5.1 with dipoles would give the same affect.
Not exactly. The sound in a true 7.1 track is discrete, so it would be different than what comes from using 4 surrounds instead of 2. Having said that, the cost usually outweighs the real world benefits in a home setup to my ears. I've heard a $150K+ setup with dipoles and the surrounds really didn't blow me away. The mains DID (Aerials :D ) but the surrounds didn't add something that made me think to myself "I want that".

Last edited:
Goat1

Goat1

Audioholic
My bad,I should have probably read up. I see guys on other forums push dipoles like no tomorrow,that's why I'm curious..

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
The way I see it, monopoles are always a good option, no matter the room. Dipoles may yield better surround effects if the room is well laid out for them, but could be pretty mediocre otherwise.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Doh sorry I thought they were. That looks like a good choice. Some members like that company. I did have the Wharfedale dipole speakers:

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis