Dinosaur from the stereo age wants to upgrade

A

acemery

Audiophyte
The stereo system I bought in 1969 (good stuff in its day) has finally gone to the last roundup.

Fairwell old Paint, you served me well. [insert sigh and sniffle here]

What I want:

5.1 or 7.1 channels.

A Good receiver that produces high quality sound.

Small, good quality wireless speakers (my wife would throw a fit if they were intrusive).

3 or 4 HDMI in/outputs.

Phono input.

The ability to connect an LCD HDTV.

To summarize, I want the best I can get for Under $600.00.

Any suggestions? :confused:

TIA,

Al

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum, Al!

Are you looking to get a receiver and wireless speakers for $600, or just the receiver?

As for connecting an LCD TV, what type of connection would you be using - HDMI, DVI, component video, other?

Thanks.

Adam

A

acemery

Audiophyte
Welcome to the forum, Al!
Thanks for the quick response. I've been looking all over for a forum that has helpful, patient and knowledgeable people.

Are you looking to get a receiver and wireless speakers for $600, or just the receiver?
I need the whole thing.

As for connecting an LCD TV, what type of connection would you be using - HDMI, DVI, component video, other?
I don't know, as I don't have one yet. LCD TV suggestions are welcome, but I don't know if I can pull that one off right now. ;)

Al

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
No offense intended, but you're in for a rude awakening. Be prepared to make many, many compromises.

Others will fill you in.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
No offense intended, but you're in for a rude awakening. Be prepared to make many, many compromises.
Yep.

1) Wireless is a no.
2) $600 will get a pretty good receiver with 3/4 HDMI inputs(1 output), if on sale.
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=567570&CTID=5000300
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR606&class=Receiver&p=i
http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4241.asp
3) $1000 will get a pretty good 5.1 speaker system.
http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm
4) $300 should do for BR player.
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Video/Blu-ray-Disc-Players/model.DMP-BD35K_11002_7000000000000005702
5) All cabling extra.

Last edited:
A

acemery

Audiophyte
That's pretty much what I figured.

OK FINE. [harumph goes here] :D

I'm just a poor boy with a wife who doesn't understand.

What if I up the ante to $1,000.00 or less?

SHEESH

Al

J

jopela

Audioholic Intern
Acemery,
Unfortunately the group is right, for that price range you are going to need to make some big compromises, but it can be done. If you are willing to sacrifice some sound quality and only have 1 HDMI i/o here are some wireless systems that are in your price range.

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_315950/Surround-Sound-Systems.html?tp=6419&nvpair=FFWireless_Rear_Speaker_Kit|[rank1]Yes

For HD you are going to want to go HDMI for your connection.

If you want to sacrifice the wireless here are 2 receivers and a speaker system that may suit your needs within your price range. (Again not the best sound quality)

$230 Onkyo 506
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_580TXS506B/Onkyo-TX-SR506-Black.html?tp=179

$360 Onkyo 606
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_580TXS606B/Onkyo-TX-SR606-Black.html?tp=179

$399 Polk RM 6880
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107RM6880/Polk-Audio-RM6880.html?tp=184

Hope this helps point you in the right direction.

Also, be sure to take all of our advise with a grain of salt. When someone (like me) says not the best sound quality or you need to spend $1000 on speakers remember we are coming from the viewpoint of audiophiles. My last system was a $199 JBL speaker set with a $250 technics receiver and it sounded good, it was just not up to the standards that would wow people here.

Last edited:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Also, be sure to take all of our advise with a grain of salt. When someone (like me) says not the best sound quality or you need to spend $1000 on speakers remember we are coming from the viewpoint of audiophiles.
For example.
My complete 5.1 speaker system retailed for $4750
My BR Player $2000
My receiver $2600
:eek:

I honestly don't know how my wife puts-up with me.:eek:

J

jopela

Audioholic Intern
For example.
My complete 5.1 speaker system retailed for $4750
My BR Player $2000
My receiver $2600
:eek:

I honestly don't know how my wife puts-up with me.:eek:
Posting that was a real bad move!!!

Now there is written proof of how much you spent, what if your wife sees that. You can no longer convince her you used a coupon and got a mail in rebate and only spent $350 for the whole thing. ;)

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Posting that was a real bad move!!!

Now there is written proof of how much you spent, what if your wife sees that. You can no longer convince her you used a coupon and got a mail in rebate and only spent $350 for the whole thing. ;)
Those are retail prices, not actual money spent.;)

She is aware of the money spent. I actually have the best wife anyone could ever dream of. Honestly. Into our seventh year together.:)

Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Full Audioholic
- Good Sound Quality
- Wireless
- Affordable

Pick two...

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
The problem I see here is a common one.

I want it all, and I want it now.

Trust me, I do too.

The fact is, buying a piece at a time is the best way to do it. Upgrades will continue one piece at a time until one decides just to use the tv speakers due to old age, or going broke.:eek:

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The stereo system I bought in 1969 (good stuff in its day) has finally gone to the last roundup.

Fairwell old Paint, you served me well. [insert sigh and sniffle here]

What I want:

5.1 or 7.1 channels.

A Good receiver that produces high quality sound.

Small, good quality wireless speakers (my wife would throw a fit if they were intrusive).

3 or 4 HDMI in/outputs.

Phono input.

The ability to connect an LCD HDTV.

To summarize, I want the best I can get for Under $600.00.

Any suggestions? :confused:

TIA,

Al
Do you need to replace the whole system or can you use some of Old Paint?

A

acemery

Audiophyte
RE: highfigh

Do you need to replace the whole system or can you use some of Old Paint?
I have a pair of Sansui SP2000 4 way 6 speakers in each cabinet. I bought them new in 1969 and they are in excellent condition.

I've been looking at the Sony STR-DG920 ($450 at Crutchfield) and the Yamaha RX-V663 ($500 at Crutchfield).

I'll live with the Sansuis until I can afford better.

Al

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I have a pair of Sansui SP2000 4 way 6 speakers in each cabinet. I bought them new in 1969 and they are in excellent condition.
Cool, I've still got my old Sansui SPZ-7 4-ways from 1984. Mine are a little worse for wear and need a couple of drivers. I'm always on the lookout for suggestions on suitable replacements.

If you start out with a decent receiver, like the 663, it gives you a good start and gets you back in the game. At that point, you can upgrade incrementally. Add a subwoofer, center, new mains and surrounds over time. That can break up the cost and allow you to finish up with a better system than trying to force it all at once. Plus, it gives you time to shop around for speakers that suit your taste. That way also you can take your time and treat the process as a hobby instead of trying to make it a one-shot deal and done with it. Settle back and enjoy the ride.:)

A

acemery

Audiophyte
If you start out with a decent receiver, like the 663, it gives you a good start and gets you back in the game...
That way also you can take your time and treat the process as a hobby instead of trying to make it a one-shot deal and done with it. Settle back and enjoy the ride.:)
Thanks, Dave. That's pretty much what I figured. Very rarely can quality be obtained inexpensively. Most people confuse "cheap" with "inexpensive". "Cheap" is a measure of quality, while "inexpensive" is a measure of cost. Cheap usually turns out to more expensive in the long run.

It's like the old saying: "Oats are always cheaper after they've been through the horse". :D

What do you think about the Yamaha RX-V663 VS the Sony STR-DG920?

The Sony has more features, but from what I've read, the Yamaha has the edge on quality. Once I have the A/V setup complete, this will probably be my last entertainment system, and I want it to last..

Al

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
some general info.

Since you've decided to "grow" into a HT and use as much of your current system as you can, I'll make the following suggestions.

1) Plan on starting out with a new HT receiver, but playing it in stereo for now. I know, there's no whiz-bang multichannel for now, but there's a method to my madness.

1.5) If you don't have a basic DVD player, get a cheapo one for now. Remember, this is temporary. Blu-Ray is still coming down in price and the longer you wait, the more feature laden and cheaper/more inexpensive they get.

2) Use your two existing speakers for now. Replacing these will be your next step. Yeah, it's still stereo, but you're moving towards a goal.

3) When you decide to go for (at least) your front speakers, look at what you budget for them as covering the two mains and the center speaker. These should match and it's best if they be from the same manufacturer and line. These change fairly quickly and filding a matched center next year may not be so easy. If you don't buy the rear surrounds now, you can move your current speakers to the rear for use as surrounds.

4) Now would be a good time to look into a sub. don't skimp here. This is what delivers 90% of your system's "impact". Oh, these don't have to "match" your other speakers. These are fairly universal and some of the best subs come from people who only (or mostly only) make subs.

5) If you haven't replaced your rears by now, it might be a good time to do so if you feel it's warranted.

5) ...or, if you've made the jump to a HD TV by now, maybe that Blu-Ray player? Without a HDTV, you can't appreciate a Blu-Ray player.

Last edited:
M

mikeboy

Audiophyte
Turn table stereos

Is it still possible to buy turn table stereos, etc., as I have loads of LPs and hate not to play them. Are they reasonable? Can one find styluses, etc.?

OttoMatic

OttoMatic

Senior Audioholic
Is it still possible to buy turn table stereos, etc., as I have loads of LPs and hate not to play them. Are they reasonable? Can one find styluses, etc.?
Sure, there are many turntables available from <$100 to >$100,000! Just off the top of my head, here's one that I would consider reasonable. I picked up one of these cartridges a while ago. I'm no vinyl aficionado, but it works well for me. There's tons of stuff out there.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis